Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,I dont know if my starter is going bad or is It the extremely cold weather.Whenever I go to start It the starter engages just enough to turn the motor not even halfway before the starter whines or whatever its doing.once I get started and warms up its fine I shut it off restart it 3 times in a row started up just fine rode it for awhile shut it off started just fine but when its been sitting for awhile in the cold weather then its very hard to start..Has anybody had an issue with the starter before I need help.... :?

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
There is an over-running clutch that the starter goes thorugh in case there is too much resisitance (for whatever reason) during the start process. It will whine when it slips. I have heard mine once or twice when it tried to fire when hot on a compression stroke (the dyna3000 ign really fires quickly).

Try going to a lower weight motor oil if you are running say 10-40 or higher, I would probably go to a synthetic 5-30. I bet the oil is just so cold it's not allowing the engine to turn freely.

Anyway that's my story and I am sticking to it..... :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok chuck thanks,Ill take that into consideration,also now that you said something the mech said something similar to that after she gets warmed up she'll fire...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts