Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have a motorbike stall in our apt building's basement garage to work on the bike. It takes at least 20 minutes to lug all the tools and parts and lift jack and work stool from my locker room to the garage, and that's if you don't forget an item. And another 20 minutes to put everything back. That's 40 minutes added to any work done on the bike. Apt rules prohibit leaving equipment etc on the floor overnight and if you did things would disappear. So, I was wondering, how's many forum members have the luxury of a private garage to work on their bikes vrs. a motorbike parking stall? Just asking.

This isn't as roomy as it might appear. Two cars to the right aren't in their stalls.
1582746601677.png

The car to the left isn't in its stall.
1582746651701.png

This is as palatial as it gets. It's the exit lane between a car stall and the bike/moped parking. If somebody is leaving I have to move the bike to give them room. This was at night so the odds were against it
1582746699874.png

Notice, there isn't a work table, shelves, or refrigerator. Lighting isn't the greatest either so I wear a headlamp.
1582746725383.png

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
185 Posts
Our house has a big basement and a garage as well. From the previous owner, there is a large work bench too. I have an old Benz /8 w115, the old Honda civic of my wife (I am not going to sell) and my bike. with the two cars it's not very spacious, but I can work on the bike without a problem. I am VERY happy about that garage. Before that, we lived in Hamburg and there was a garage for my benz, did some restauration on the cars, was ok, but in the own house it's much better.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have s shed, it'll fit three bikes but only one of you're working on it, I'm surprised they let you work on it, I had some friends that it was absolutely verboten to work on anything,

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
185 Posts
Well, in the house in Hamburg I got into trouble as I renewed the undersurface of the old Benz, quite a dirty job... I polished my cars there as well, happy to have a dry place. Now with our own house, that part of my life is much better :)

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,886 Posts
I have a single car garage. It's pretty deep. I have my huge tool box, shelves, compressor, 2 work benches, my tire changer and our bike trailer in there along with all 4 bikes. I have to move 2 of them out to work on any of them. Its dry and very well lit. It's my sanctuary!

·
Registered
2007 VT750DCA7 Spirit - NHB01 Black
481 Posts
I have an oddly sized 1 car garage attached to my 2bd/2ba apartment, the complex is part of a gated community section but everything in the area I am in is a rental with attached garages, which is just about perfect for my needs.

The deepest portion is 26’ and it’s a hair under 11’ wide. Fits my daily driver and the bike great, whenever I want to work on the bike I just back the car out. Room for at least two more bikes or another big project, this is all I’ve ever wanted so I’m really happy with it.

·
Registered
84 VT500C retro bobber
1,394 Posts
I have a 40 x 50 body shop in my back yard that I work out of. My dad was a motorcycle mechanic for 25 years so I inherited everything I would ever need to work on bikes. I could do absolutely anything I wanted to my bike a mere 100 feet from my house and yet my bike hasn't been touched since September.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,337 Posts
We travel and live in a few places where we rent apartments for several months. I ship a crateful of tools to various places. What I do when there is no room or you are not supposed to do repair is to do each small job separately and just load a small bag with what is immediately required. No wa y I am dismantling an engine but normal maintenance takes just a few tools: one ratchet, 4 - 5 sockets and 2-3 screwdrivers.etc. I did have a bike lift but it was too cumbersome, I rarely used it and sold it. Tires are too much effort so those go to the dealership once every 7 years. Why do you need so many tools? In once place we have a spot with a car so the tools can go in the car trunk overnight.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Im very fortunate to have a two car garage attached to my house Right now it stores my bike my vette and my 65 impala. I have a 24 by 38 shop i work in. I can fit three vehicles in it Right now it has my 61 pickup and my grandsons nissan pickup im rebuilding both and i still have room for when i need to put my bike in or my brothers in to work on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have a nice place in the basement with double door access out to the back yard - not all that big with yard equipt and all - but big nuff to keep the scoot in good workin order...

After 25yrs in a condo in Fla (with restrictive space and no work on the grounds policy) I just couldnt turn down this place in TN for peacefull retirement... Love a nice assessable basement!
Plus leaving Palm Beach Fla gives me $$BigBucks$$ in repeatable savings in Property Tax & Homeowner Ins EveryYear! for leavin FLa and stayin away... ( aint from Tennessee but)
Tennesse Aint Bad - I like It!

·
Registered
06' VT1100C99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,448 Posts
30' x 50' filled to the brim in the winter. Every piece of equipment, cabinets, etc. is on rollers some sort. Hoping to kick out the 4600 SU Ford tractor out within the next month. Adele needs front fork service, frt. brake pads, some Redeye carb gaskets (preventive), and a new piece of chrome added on the rear.

·
Registered
1991 VT600 VLX
50 Posts
Sharing a corner in friend's garage. That's my VLX spending winter at the end - where I work on it at the moment. Friend continues season throughout the year on daily F650GS and weekend EXC500. And small chinese bike (2-stroke) for his 7yo daughter... Oh yes, it is also his Mustang...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I feel for you Ron. I live in an apartment with an autoport. I'm outside but parked underneath one of the units. Lugging my tools is a pain so I'm thinking of buying one of those two wheeled rolling tool boxes with a retractable handle; it's about the size of a large ice chest. That way I can bring everything thing I need on one trip i.e. voltmeter, scissors, pencil & pen, notebook, rags, tape, flashlight, various fluids, etc. I just got a Harbor Freight ATV lift but I have to leave it outside. I'm old, it's heavy and there is a small flight of steps to my apartment.

I bought my bike used in a somewhat "weathered" condition. The worst thing is I live next to the beach. Working on my bike is not so bad but as Neil Young sings "rust never sleeps". Keeping rust a bay is a losing proposition. I thought a cover would help (not really) not to mention the taking it off and on, waiting till the mufflers cool down etc. My poor ATV lift already looks bad.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I lug my tools in plastic bins which I hand truck to the basement garage. Still takes several trips. Hand trucking the lift jack is a separate trip. Wish I had bought that aluminum lift jack. Every tool that I might need is in the bins otherwise it's another trip to my storage locker just to get that tool I left behind. There's a stairs with 8 steps along the way. You already know this but never drop a bolt or nut on the floor if you don't want to spend hours finding it.

There's that 6mm bolt! True story.

·
Registered
616 Posts
....You already know this but never drop a bolt or nut on the floor if you don't want to spend hours finding it.

There's that 6mm bolt! True story.
View attachment 285194
Been there many times, best one was I looked FOREVER for a screw, finally gave up, found it in my boot laces when I quit for the day and went in the house.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
Don`t wanna make you jealous, BUT > ;)
When I built my polebarn a fella told me to make it twice as big as I think I`ll need it, and it`ll still be too small...
I Did & It IS!!!
I drive onto my lift, lift it for as long as I wanna do without my bike (or yours)...
That`s why we live in the Rural parts of southwest Georgia,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Do you have to have a garage? Nope. But it sure as heck would be nice.

My house is over 100 years old with no garage/carriage house. There's room in the back yard to construct one but one-size-fits-all gubmint bureaucracy won't allow it anymore, so I built a shed where all the tools and yard stuff get stored.
That's in the rear of my property.
The motorcycle lives on the street in front of my property. That's where I work on it, too.

So, I load up all the tools and parts I think I need and cart them from one end of the property to the other.
That's when I find I need a tool that I didn't think I needed.
So I walk back to the shed, collect the tool, and repeat. Usually several times. :mad:
I get a lot of exercise like that.

If it looks like it's gonna rain, I don't do the job or I get wet. ?

If I have to run out for parts or if I run out of time to get the job done, I can't leave the tools and parts out so I pack them all into the house again, and repeat later. ?

Fun. ?

But it's worked for the last sixteen years so it can be done.

I'm building a parking pad next to the shed out back next year to make the job a little easier. It's about time I got around to doing that.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3
2,220 Posts
My House (Cottage) is in an old urban neighborhood and is 147 years old. At one time in its history it supposedly had a large 2 storey stable, when I bought it had the rather rough remains of a 14' x 50' heated aviary that I converted to a garage.
The garage is now long gone, a winter storm brought down a large tree branch on the roof and a build-up of snow did in the remaining roof, the City came and condemned it (Thanks Neighbor).

So my bike lives in a 12' x 8' shed I built for it on a chunk of the concrete slab from the garage, All 2 x 4's with exterior plywood panels and a shingle roof and a 4' x 7' door. 12 x 8 was a good economical size for materials and gave me 96 square feet. Total cost for it 6 years ago was $1,200 CDN, would probably cost closer $2,000 to do now, but it has saved me storage fees, gives me a place to work on it and for other small projects, it cost a lot of pizza and beer but was worth it.
In my neck of the woods and I think for most of Canada, a building with a footprint of under 100 square feet (10 square metres actually) does not need a building permit.
It has room for my bike, a work bench, a compressor, computer, a vintage stereo and quite a lot of tools and crap, it is like a "tiny house" for the bike. A couple of times I've considered adding a hammock. (-;

1 - 20 of 21 Posts