Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Theres always a special place in our memories for our firsts. First kiss, first love, first time you tried something. How about your first motorcycle? I was 21 when I bought my first motorcyle. Rode it everywhere. Topped out at about 70km/h but thats about as fast as one would want to travel on it. 20190913_090352.jpg Its a 47cc (bored to 52) pocket bike. Has aftermarket pipe, clutch, air filter, big bore kit and carbon reed valves. I built the wheelie bar myself.
What was your first? Any pics?

Registered
Mine was a KZ100z, 2-stroke single-cylinder at the age of 13. A friend of mine (a couple years younger than me) was selling it, and when I took it for a test ride, it was, "here's the clutch, here's the shifter, here are the brakes, here's the gas, GO!" He had trails through the woods behind his house, and I rode those, around a couple ponds back there, and then it started to get dark, so I headed back to the house. THEN, I thought, "Now, HOW do I stop this thing?" I remembered the front brake, but when I reached out my fingers for it, I cranked the throttle, and the bike skidded out from under me. It bent the brake pedal and the rear turn signal, and my folks declared, "Now that you BROKE it, we HAVE to buy it!" Rode that puppy around our 1.5 acre back yard until I got my 1st license, WITH motorcycle endorsement (since I only had to take a WRITTEN test)! By that time, Mom had gotten my Dad a Honda CB125, which was a COLD blooded beast, and in IN, it took FOREVER to "warm up" so you wouldn't kill it on take off, and which she wrecked her first time on it, dislocating her shoulder, when she snapped off a 'corner' of the windshield with it, but as soon as we got back from the hospital, she put her hand on the throttle, slid her sling up her arm, and wanted to get back on that bike and try again. She DID, too! Next, we got a KZ400, which I rode through much of high school. It was funny, though, when my Mom, who's all of 5' tall, would try to ride that KZ400, with the seat about 3-4' high. She had a "system", though. When she had to stop at a light, it was lean the bike to one side, so she could get that foot flat on the ground, even if the other was 6" off the ground or just on the peg, and when the light was about to turn green, when you saw the other side turn yellow, then it was up on both tiptoes, and take off as soon as her light went green! She also got teased, though, since she was a nurse, working in the hospital, and they're all calling her an "organ donor", which she did NOT like. She quit riding soon after that. I, on the other hand, am STILL riding, and have had a few other bikes; Yamaha 250, Kawasaki 600 Eliminator, '72 Harley 1000 Sportster, '85 Honda 700 Shadow, '03 Honda 750 Spirit, '85 Honda 1200 Goldwing, and my latest, '13 Harley Dyna SuperGlide!

Registered
Yep, mine was a 66 or 68 Suzuki T200. I had worked all summer and saved up all of my money. Found this bike in the Buy Lines in New York. It was a couple of hundred bucks but I'd never ridden a bike before. Guy showed me how to get the bike going and off I went - in first gear on the West Side Highway. Saw a guy on a Harley on the way home and he gave me the "power to the people" salute (fist raised in the air) and that was it - I was hooked. No license, no insurance, no registration (the bike had Alabama plates). Rode it the rest of the summer until my Dad caught me.

Registered
I was pumping gas at a station at the time. Summer of '72, I was putting in 69 hour weeks, never had so much money in my pocket. A friend pulled in with a 1968 Honda CL175. While he's gassing up he mentions he's thinking about selling the bike. How much ?, I inquire....Well, with the helmet....310.00....."Do you have a way to get home ?" I ask him......"Oh yea, I'll get home"......"Pull it over there, it's mine".......That bike got me through 4 years of college.....

Registered
50 years ago I got a 1966 Suzuki K15 Hillbilly, after the new to me wore off it became a stripped down dirt bike with an open stingered expansion chamber.
It had a reliable 8hp stock from 80cc which was pretty good, it would manage 60 mph on the small sprocket with me as a skinny kid laid out on the tank, but that was not good enough, my school lunch money often ended up buying pistons and rings as I tried to figure out how things worked.

Registered
Ah yes my first bike, a '99 Shadow ACE, I remember her well seeing that I've only owned her for about 4 years. Compared to most in the forum, I don't have any good stories to tell.....yet ;)

Registered
First bike was a 1976 or 78?? Yamaha MX80..yellow/black!! Lived up in Northern Saskatchewan (LA Ronge), backed onto the woods and it was full of trials.....kids paradise

Registered
My first bike was a 76 Honda CB360 bought around 1979. A buddy showed my how to shift on his Kawi 250. I rode the 250 around the block twice, took it down to the DMV for the MC test, passed. Next day took a train to Ware Mass. to pick up the CB. The day after, rode my new to me CB360 back to Arlington Va. Fun long ride back, (remember nation wide 55mph back then) remember my hands shaking for about an hour after making it home.

Registered
Yep, mine was a 66 or 68 Suzuki T200. I had worked all summer and saved up all of my money. Found this bike in the Buy Lines in New York. It was a couple of hundred bucks but I'd never ridden a bike before. Guy showed me how to get the bike going and off I went - in first gear on the West Side Highway. Saw a guy on a Harley on the way home and he gave me the "power to the people" salute (fist raised in the air) and that was it - I was hooked. No license, no insurance, no registration (the bike had Alabama plates). Rode it the rest of the summer until my Dad caught me.
And this was my second - 1972 RD250

Registered
I bought this moped from Montgomery Wards new in 1980,AMF Roadmaster the only moped made in the US.Top speed of 35mph and 110 mpg. I still have it but don't ride it any more.

Registered
First two wheels I had was a newer (at the time) 150cc moped. Drove that thing all over the place in high school. Topped out at 50 freedom units (~80 kph for everyone else) but I never tested that ;)

Now I have an 1100 Shadow. Much faster. Much more respect from other bikers lol

Can't get to any of my photos at work otherwise I would include that too.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts