Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've never seen this documentary called "Closer to the Edge" it is worth a watch.
It's about the "Isle of Man Tourist Trophy" motorcycle race.

This is road racing probably unlike anything you have ever seen.

Here's the link on Vimeo. Pretty good HD:
TT3D - Closer To The Edge on Vimeo
Here's a lower quality link on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qds9Of4qw-M

Even though you might need subtitles to understand Guy Martin
, it is worth a watch. Some excellent racing cinematography.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Love the TT, I have a cousin who lives over there, thinks they're all mad.. Me? THAT is what Motorcycle racing should be.. Just the purest form of it..

A dream of mine is to go over there to watch it.. ;)

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Love to watch that but it scares the crap out of me.
Thanks for posting that.....Close to the edge indeed.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree it would be fun to watch, but would make sure to be a fair distance from the side of the road. Maybe a nice tall bridge over the road, or the top of a tree nearby. Don't want a screaming bike heading toward me :)

D.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
It is one race I would love to watch live for sure.

still get a tear for Paul watching this, Lived just down the road a little but he died doing what he loved :)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Here's another worth the watch.

"Road".

Focuses on the Dunlops who were shown briefly in "Closer to the Edge."

Guaranteed to bring on the emotion, perhaps even tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2PYw2_fTEw

·
Registered
354 Posts
In the early 2000's I was on the BSA Bulletin Board every day. David Kath was a regular there. He lived in Nevada. He was an older guy and he was a retired racer, He still had his Gold Star maintained and rid-able, still rode it a lot. He'd competed in The Isle of Man in his early days. He was one of "the old guys". A hoot to talk to.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
If you get the chance, enter the TT, it's not that bad and the winner is usually someone who knows the route.. But you don't have to win just because you entered, you could just ride round the course and even if you came last you would always be able to say you rode in the TT.

John.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Great doc!!!! Would love to go see it!! I've got a friend who went over to England a few years ago. While there he rented a bike a rode the roads that make up the course.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you get the chance, enter the TT, it's not that bad and the winner is usually someone who knows the route.. But you don't have to win just because you entered, you could just ride round the course and even if you came last you would always be able to say you rode in the TT.

John.
Okay. I'll think about.

Okay. I just thought about it.

If I ride the Shadow no doubt I'd end up dead last.

If I ride the Bandit no doubt I'd end up dead. :shock:

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I watched the video and here are my impressions. First thing is the fastest female on the course would kick my ass. Second is that that Guy Martin dude is a pompous ass. Finally, it's a great race based in tradition, but without speed limits what's the point. Many more people will die, and when speeds get faster so will the number of deaths. I don't see safety concerns like in Nascar or Formula 1. Did I see barbed wire fence along some sections of the course?...Jesus. I suppose to the purists adding safety nets or barriers would spoil the event...but death sucks. So does leaving your widow with young kids.(.e g. that guy from Nz. Paul. Sorry Leathel, but that is irresponsible). I have a bit of respect for Guy Martin in that he is sane enough to not be in a committed relationship while racing. What good is an event that does not value life 'first'? Hitting sharp old rock walls on ancient streets not designed for any type of racing at 170mph...damn. One thing I'll admit is these drivers have huge male spherical parts. (to be Internet correct)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
People do things everyday without safety nets. What is the difference? Care to go for a walk?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts

John.
Really? How to get a chance? If I enter, it is because I think I have a chance...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Are you serious? The difference is 200mph and a fine line between life and death. If you don't value life enough to even consider making it safer than we don't have a discussion.

If you value life over risk you dont race that race... not amount of fences will make it safe as its just too tight between stone fences and buildings etc

there are many other safer places to race if you want less risk, that race is what it is as far as I am concerned

There are many things in this world that people do that are outside my comfort zone but its up to each person on weather they take the risk

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If you value life over risk you dont race that race...
Good point. I suppose it's the number of deaths over the years that is the most shocking. 245 on the Snaefell Mountain Course is it? It almost seems like the odds are pretty good a driver will die or get permanently disabled.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Second is that that Guy Martin dude is a pompous ass.

I think he winds himself up so much at times ..... he was like a kid in a toy shop when he came over to race the Wanganui street race Boxing day.... leading up to it he got to ride one of John Britten's motorbikes, those are now 20 years old and still so radical in there design, same John died as some more being made would have been great.

Not sure is this video is able to be played world wide but if it does it starts with adds :roll:

Extended interview: Guy Martin | Sport | 3 News

:)

A bit about the bike (the top gear video has an interveiw with John and talks about the death of one of the riders on one of his bikes..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_aNwaodd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MbvMqNAFVY

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Good point. I suppose it's the number of deaths over the years that is the most shocking. 245 on the Snaefell Mountain Course is it? It almost seems like the odds are pretty good a driver will die or get permanently disabled.
Aren't most of those deaths attributed to off-the-street-amateurs running that course before the race??

Me, You, Anyone, can run that course for ??? 2 weeks ??? before the race, without any imposed speed limits.. As I understand it, most deaths attributed to that race are due to regular people running that course at speeds they have never traveled before and they come undone for it..

Its a dangerous race.. No question about that.. But - for me - that is what makes it a real race of skill.. I can't stand to watch bikes go around and around a race-track where riders know everything there is to know about a track.

The TT.. to me.. Is the pinnacle proving ground for riders who excel at riding at speed.

Saying that, many professional riders are scared of that race.. many of those professionals who have run it say "never again.."

I would love to run that course.. Not at amateur-lunatic crazy-race-day-speeds, but ..just to run that course safely - maybe - a little over the speed limit, would Certainly be something a person who loves that race could proudly say "ran the TT course, done that".. :)

Unfortunately there's just too many crazy people who run that course before the day though.. You would almost fear some lunatic running into the back of you as you are heading around a corner. :-(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts