Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesturday was absolutly beautiful and my husband and i went out for a ride. We ended up going 101 miles in a big loop through the ND countryside without stoping.

When we got home, my butt hurt, the seat sucks on the RS ( still waiting for a good after market one for this bike ).

But here is the thing, my wrists, elbows, shoulders, and lower back are killing me.

I'm still new to riding, so my question for the more experianced...does it always hurt? 100 miles isn't that far....Do i need a bigger bike to head out of town? i don't have a windshield, maybe that would help....

I'm kinda worried about this because i did not expect it.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
You just did something you never did before, ride one hundred miles. As stated you are still new to riding, which among other things means you are still new to being in a certain position doing certain movements related to riding. Along with the seat there are a few other things that can either make or ease ride related pain..two in particular are handle bars and foot pegs Experiment with both to find what fits you best. Even stock bars can be moved for or aft, highway bars with an addition set of pegs helps a great deal.

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
My stock seat on my 750 Ace always made my tail bone hurt after a days ride. Not to mention how it felt after a weekend road trip. This spring I ordered my mustang wide tourer and now when I go on 1400 mile weekend rides my butt feels fine. So find yourself a good seat and that should help. Mustang makes a variety of one and two piece seats custom for each bike.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Much of the pain you describe can result from tension. Try to relax a little more; pay attention to how you are sitting and holding the grips and bars. In addition--consider a windshield and different seat. My stock seat is fine, but I have added highway bars and pegs. Just that ability to change position helps considerably.

-john

·
Registered
423 Posts
Much of the pain you describe can result from tension. Try to relax a little more; pay attention to how you are sitting and holding the grips and bars. In addition--consider a windshield and different seat.

-john
I agree. Try to relax more.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Much of the pain you describe can result from tension. Try to relax a little more; pay attention to how you are sitting and holding the grips and bars. In addition--consider a windshield and different seat.

-john
the is only one real cure for tension, kinda hard to do it on a bike though..but not impossible;)

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
"But here is the thing, my wrists, elbows, shoulders, and lower back are killing me."

Another thing. Since you are looking at replacement seats, consider one with a rider's backrest. Will help with any low back issues.

-john

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
get off the bike and look around. when the wife is with me we seldom go more than 50 miles without a stop. a windshield will help and a seat would too. I am looking for a deal on a mustang wide touring

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What they said plus our strategies for better riding:
1. Take a couple of ibuprofen or neproxin sodium before you ride.
2. Have foam added to your seat (they are notoriously thin to get height down), it may need reshaping to suit your body type. Try a local upholstery person or Mean City ( Motorcycle Driver Seat Modifications ). Larger pan Mustang touring seat probably the way to go if you don't go to a bigger bike.
3. Crampbuster or Throttle Rocker
4. Windscreen lets you pick your best posture instead of leaning forward or compensating. Ditto helmet push causing neck pain.
5. You may need a bigger bike or forward controls or both. The RS looks a tad small for you.

Jez my $0.02

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind...your body has no muscle memory for the relatively new things you are asking it to do. As you continue to ride on longer trips, your body will learn to be more accepting. On longer trips, I find it relaxing to stop on occasion and walk around, stretch, have a drink of water, etc. Instead of a 100 mile trip, take a 50 mile ride, take a break and make another 50 mile ride home....repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
There are more than just a few things involved here.

First, is the scooter you're riding comfortable and set up properly for YOU? Handlebars, grips, levers, seat, pegs/running boards....the style, placement, and adjustment all must works together.

The style of motorcycle you are riding matters. Some people find cruisers to be unbearable to ride for more than a few miles, other can't get comfy on standards or sport bikes. Some motorcycles simply don't match some people.

Then there is you. Are you in poor physical condition? Are you tense when you ride? How old are you, the older you get the quicker you slide towards fatigue. Maybe it's time for some exercise.

Many riders find they need to take a break every hour, but the following hours get harder to stick out. Often you need to work up to longer rides. 100 miles is probably a two hour ride. At least two breaks in that time is not unreasonable for any rider.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the advice...
There are so many things to consider here, its not as simple as get on and goooooooo...

I'm not giving up on this though, "I wanna ride"

Have a great Sunday all.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've been riding most of my life, and a 300 mile ride is just a stretch of the legs to me. My wife on the other hand, is new to riding and (like you) 100 miles really tuckers her out.

As you spend more time on the bike, you'll become more conditioned to it... although a more comfortable saddle will do lots for making your butt feel better.

One thing that still bothers me, however, is the cold. If i don't dress warmly enough, the cold will cause my shoulders, neck, and back muscles to tense up and it won't take long to get sore. Make sure you dress properly for the cooler temps we're experiencing now. And have fun!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I try and stop about every 50 miles or after each hour of riding. I don’t need to stop for very long. After just a few minutes of walking around I feel much better. Even putting my feet down at stoplights and standing up straddling the bike can revive my tailbone enough to keep me going a little farther. On a ride lasting more than one day I find it necessary to make the stops more frequent on each consecutive day. On the first leg of the first day I can go 80 miles or more. By the end of day four I’m really struggling to make it 50 miles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I started riding this summer. I hadn't been riding for a few weeks and decided to take my bike on a work call 250 miles away. It was a beautiful day and my car had broken down, and I was really feeling comfortable on the bike and up to the task. I stopped every 50-75 miles for gas and to take a breather. The ride there was awesome and very enjoyable. The ride back...not so much.

It had gotten considerably cooler from the 80 degrees I started out with as darkness fell. The temperatures in the low to mid 60's were not very fun. I had a 3/4 helmet with no face shield. The clear wrap around glasses I had did little to keep the wind off of my eyes. They were completely bloodshot and dry from the cool air less than half the way home.

I made it home safely with frequent breaks for coffee, gas and rest. The next couple of days were a bear as I was completely sore from holding the unfamiliar posture, fighting the wind, etc. The roar of the wind in the open helmet was very fatiguing as well. Heck of a way to learn a lesson but my rides are much more comfortable now, even in cooler weather. I feel more comfortable to the riding position of the bike now, too.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've never owned a bike with a stock seat that I would consider comfortable. However, I can make it from gas stop to gas stop. Just getting off the bike and letting the blood flow back into my butt for a few minutes is enough to get me another 120 miles or so.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I've been holding back from saying this because it's kind of a drastic notion. But.
If you try all of the suggestions here and none works, I think you may have the wrong bike.

I've been looking at your photo, and each time I see it I think "she doesn't look comfortable on that bike." The pic looks like you are sitting on the bike rather than in the bike. I hate that riding position. Maybe that bike is just wrong for you.

Be advised that Mustang seats, while comfortable, will make you feel even more like you are sitting on the bike. The Mustang site itself notes that their seats raise the height of the seated rider by a bit.

Just a thought for you to file away and perhaps consider if you are still unhappy next riding season.

-john

·
Registered
269 Posts
Pretty much what everyone has said is good advise. I am sure your seat will have to go. The best thing is to try & find someone with your bike with a different seat to sit on. Not always easy. They vary a lot. Some people love Corbins, but I find them hard as a rock & to me they feel like some kind of torture devise. On longer rides I find using my T-bag as a back rest helps a lot. A windshield makes a big difference as I don't have to fight the wind, just blocked a bird for me on my last ride, so that was great as I have been hit in the helmet & twice in the leg by birds in the past. You look kind of tall on your bike from the picture & it may take a while to get the thing set up to fit you.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
As you can see, one individuals comfort might be another's torture. Some find confort in a shield, others think of a shield as a big PITA. High bars, low bars..all depends.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.