Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had 2 long rides to speak of:

1) Poker Run in Andersonville. (There, the run, and back, a little over 300 miles)

2) Ride to visit friends in Mississippi (Over 400 miles just getting there, same getting back)

I have a question:

Does the seat make a big difference on these rides for a person like myself?

I'm 23 years old, only weigh between 150-160 lbs and I've used the seat that's on the beast. Not sure if it's stock or not, but it's done me well. I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing a mustang seat if I come across a little extra cash or not. I've heard good things about them, but I guess I'm wondering if it's worth the money to get one.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
well.. i'm 19(i'll be 20 in five days) and i weigh 180lbs and i love my mustang seat, but i do a whole lot of ridin'. they are amazin' seats. the seat made a big difference to me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've only had 2 long rides to speak of:

1) Poker Run in Andersonville. (There, the run, and back, a little over 300 miles)

2) Ride to visit friends in Mississippi (Over 400 miles just getting there, same getting back)

I have a question:

Does the seat make a big difference on these rides for a person like myself?

I'm 23 years old, only weigh between 150-160 lbs and I've used the seat that's on the beast. Not sure if it's stock or not, but it's done me well. I'm wondering if it's worth purchasing a mustang seat if I come across a little extra cash or not. I've heard good things about them, but I guess I'm wondering if it's worth the money to get one.
I was on the same poker run, and i ride from middle Georgia to Ft Benning daily for work. I NEED a mustang seat. It is getting to where i dread the 75 mile one way ride.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I'll definitely consider getting one then! Lol. I haven't had to take the seat off of my Shadow yet, but does anyone have any experience getting one off the VLX to replace it?

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
Hmm, I'll definitely consider getting one then! Lol. I haven't had to take the seat off of my Shadow yet, but does anyone have any experience getting one off the VLX to replace it?
There are two bolts to remove and then you pull the seat back and lift it up and it's off. The bolts are located just under the seat itself where the driver's seat meets the passenger seat, 1 on each side.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very easy it sounds like. Now the downside... The cheapest one I found is 300 dollars on Ebay, yowza.

That's a lot of greenbacks for some dead cow x_x.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,090 Posts
Very easy it sounds like. Now the downside... The cheapest one I found is 300 dollars on Ebay, yowza.

That's a lot of greenbacks for some dead cow x_x.
Yup. It's really easy to get the seat off.

The price of a new seat is why I never bothered to get one. I never felt like spending a lot of money on accessories for this bike since I hadn't planned on keeping it for as long as I have. My next bike will be different, though. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm also 23, 175 lbs and have the stock seat. Longest ride yet was 200 miles in a day. My butt wasn't too sore, it was the feet for me. I mean I get a little "tingley" but I would think that would be normal.

I don't personally have the need to replace my seat. It treats me well enough. There are multiple other upgrades to the bike that I would rather spend $300 on

·
Registered
302 Posts
The two most comfortable factory seats I've owned were on my 88 VLX and 86 Magna. Your VLX is a bit newer but the seat looks similar. I never felt a need to replace the VLX seat.

By comparison, it took me less than 2 months to buy a better seat for my 09 Spirit. That thing was awful after only 100 miles of riding. If yours isn't making you numb or giving you backaches, I'd put a new seat low on the priority list.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I took the VLX seat to a local shop and had it rebuilt using memory foam. They charged me just a bit over 100$. The wife loves it. I just got a solo seat for th Vulcan and will take it in and have it done the same way. I will only be into the solo fora biit more than 200$. Still cheaper than a mustang.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Kacealraid before you order any seat, I would take the one you have and inspect it for a brand name, Mustang does not offer the regal seat for the VLX but may have in the past and it looks just like yours, They still offer it for mine. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's already on your bike but what ever it is, It isn't stock, Endy has the stock VLX seat on his. This is the Regal seat from there website for a different bike but as you can see the similar looks too it.

http://www.mustangseats.com/Product.aspx?ID=226
Dauntae

OK after doing a little searching I think I found your seat but it doesn't give a manufacturer name, Gotta love the bay for that LOL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHAD...3507019QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
101 Posts
I use to think I needed a new seat. I'd get some lower back pain after an hour or so ride. Then two weeks ago I decided to move my rain gear out of my saddlebags and bungee it right behind the front seat to serve as a bit of a back rest. I did that and it gave me just enough lower back support that I didn't get sore anymore. I did 700 miles last weekend and had no back pain.
I'd try cheaper options before laying out that much money on a saddle especially if you don't have any real complaints about the one you have

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot Dauntae, I had a feeling it wasn't stock, but I had no idea what it was... I'll have to find out sometime.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Kacealraid before you order any seat, I would take the one you have and inspect it for a brand name, Mustang does not offer the regal seat for the VLX but may have in the past and it looks just like yours, They still offer it for mine. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what's already on your bike but what ever it is, It isn't stock, Endy has the stock VLX seat on his. This is the Regal seat from there website for a different bike but as you can see the similar looks too it.

One-Piece Regal Duke Seat - Honda VT1100 ACE/Sabre/Shadow/Spirit 75429 | Mustang Motorcycle Seats
Dauntae

OK after doing a little searching I think I found your seat but it doesn't give a manufacturer name, Gotta love the bay for that LOL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SHADOW-VT600-VT-VLX-600-DRIVER-PASSENGER-SEAT-SEATS-SET-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27bc56744bQQitemZ170663507019QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Dauntae - The VLX seat on Ebay is actually a Chinese produced seat and NOT a Mustang product.

Kace - to find out if you do indeed have a Mustang Regal seat, you will need to remove it and see if it has a Mustang label and serial number on the underside. I do not know if Mustang ever produced that model for the VLX.

I do, however, recommend the Mustang Wide Touring seat. It offers superior lower back support and is quite comfortable. I have had one on each of my bikes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The two most comfortable factory seats I've owned were on my 88 VLX and 86 Magna. Your VLX is a bit newer but the seat looks similar. I never felt a need to replace the VLX seat.

By comparison, it took me less than 2 months to buy a better seat for my 09 Spirit. That thing was awful after only 100 miles of riding. If yours isn't making you numb or giving you backaches, I'd put a new seat low on the priority list.

Hey Normspeed, what's the seat you have on your bike?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I use to think I needed a new seat. I'd get some lower back pain after an hour or so ride. Then two weeks ago I decided to move my rain gear out of my saddlebags and bungee it right behind the front seat to serve as a bit of a back rest. I did that and it gave me just enough lower back support that I didn't get sore anymore. I did 700 miles last weekend and had no back pain.
I'd try cheaper options before laying out that much money on a saddle especially if you don't have any real complaints about the one you have
+1^^^ I've never felt the need for an aftermarket seat, always felt they were a waste of money, but I did see a dudes bike who had a gel pad insert and memory foam sewn into his seat. Comfortable as all get-out. From what I understand it ran him just a bit over a hundred bucks. I'll probably go that route with my next bike.
I've never really understood the need to add thousands of dollars in aftermarket accessories to make a bike "rideable". If I can't take it off the showroom floor and go coast to coast I have no use for it.... my .02 anyway.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
+1^^^ I've never felt the need for an aftermarket seat, always felt they were a waste of money, but I did see a dudes bike who had a gel pad insert and memory foam sewn into his seat. Comfortable as all get-out. From what I understand it ran him just a bit over a hundred bucks. I'll probably go that route with my next bike.
I've never really understood the need to add thousands of dollars in aftermarket accessories to make a bike "rideable". If I can't take it off the showroom floor and go coast to coast I have no use for it.... my .02 anyway.
I wish that the MC manufacturers would see it that way and make the stock seats as comfortable as the aftermarket seats are.

Glad to hear that you have personally never had a problem with the stock seats - I know several people that have said the same thing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check out meancitycycles.com. They do seat mods to the OEM seats and at a very good cost

1 - 20 of 41 Posts