Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I talked briefly with my insurance company and it looks like my bike will not be a write off (thank you lord, I happen to have too many memories with it that outway my need for a new bike).

So, Will the dealer get the new tank painted (suppose so). I ask because of two reasons, first I would not want to have the emblems and maybe I need to make them aware of it before they order it, next, is if it comes bare, I would want to send it out to one of our favorite forum members who does some great work to have the paint done.

Just wondering, I wont speak with them for a few more days for fear of bugging the hell out of them and kind of want to know sooner then later.

Happy new years all.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wrecked my bike greater than a year ago and part of the damage was a pretty serious ding in the tank. It was replaced along with both fenders. handlebar, etc...

I'm not sure what your insurance will do but my tank came from honda already painted. Basically all the dealer did was to swap out parts.

Benny

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I think for most all of the more current bikes, what Morgan experienced
is accurate across the board.

Most of the parts you order like that (Tank, fender, etc.) come
pre-painted.
If you look at the parts catalog, the parts are broken down
in to the paint codes and you order different part numbers for
whichever paint code/scheme your bike has.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume then the emblems are already on it

·
Registered
264 Posts
Dragoon said:
I assume then the emblems are already on it
My repairs were delayed for about a week because they received the wrong tank. They received one with the flames on it and mine was plain black. This was sent back and the right tank was sent to the dealer. This came with the Shadow/Sabre emblem on the tank just like it was on the dealers floor.

Benny

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Dragoon said:
So,

I talked briefly with my insurance company and it looks like my bike will not be a write off (thank you lord, I happen to have too many memories with it that outway my need for a new bike).

So, Will the dealer get the new tank painted (suppose so). I ask because of two reasons, first I would not want to have the emblems and maybe I need to make them aware of it before they order it, next, is if it comes bare, I would want to send it out to one of our favorite forum members who does some great work to have the paint done.

Just wondering, I wont speak with them for a few more days for fear of bugging the hell out of them and kind of want to know sooner then later.

Happy new years all.
Hey Drag,

When I had my little meeting with a Goldwing, my insurance company just gave me the money to make the repairs to my bike. I got my tank from www.servicehonda.com at quite the savings and put it on myself. It came painted the right color and did have the emblems but not the safety stickers on it.

The emblems are fairly easy to remove though. A piece of dental floss or fishing line will take them right off...then use WD40 on a soft cotton rag will take care of the glue.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spirit_1100 said:
Dragoon said:
So,

Happy new years all.
Hey Drag,

When I had my little meeting with a Goldwing, my insurance company just gave me the money to make the repairs to my bike. I got my tank from www.servicehonda.com at quite the savings and put it on myself. It came painted the right color and did have the emblems but not the safety stickers on it.

The emblems are fairly easy to remove though. A piece of dental floss or fishing line will take them right off...then use WD40 on a soft cotton rag will take care of the glue.

That would be my preference for 90% of what I need done, in addition to the fact that I hate this dealership. I might pose the question to my insurance company because it might help me do some of the stuff I really want to do.

Two things that come to mind are that I love eclectic dawns work and would love her to finish my tank. Additionally, I have a 5.5 inch rise from the tree but it is with two pieces and I somehow feel that to be less solid then a single piece, which I would get in chrome as opposed to billet too. However, I would not want to install the pipes so I might suggest as you say and just have my dealership do what I think I want them too.

Thanks spirit, are you going to drop buy when I screw thing totally up? LOL.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dragoon said:
That would be my preference for 90% of what I need done, in addition to the fact that I hate this dealership.
Just curious, which SoCal dealership are you referring to?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate to name names for fear of any retribution, but they are located off the 78 behind Costco, and I don’t like them simply because they are very hard to deal with and I feel one deal was slightly underhanded. However, when the bike was barely rideable, it was with in reach when I needed it.

PS, I am desperately looking for an indy mechanic, but I suppose few of them take the extended warrantee, even thought the paperwork says it is valid everywhere there is a licensed shop.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Dragoon said:
Thanks spirit, are you going to drop buy when I screw thing totally up? LOL.
Sure thing Drag...Just give me a few days to get there...then when we get the bike fixed, you can show me your local roads.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spirit,

I owe you so much already that you never need an excuse to wonder my way and I will treat you like the prince of a man that you are. I would say that I can guarantee you several hundred solid miles just to get an idea of how nice the rides can be around here 8) and I will certainly add a few pounds to that mid section because I think I can cook up some special stuff you would love, so bring the valk :D . I also have a spare room for your bike

Cheers
:lol:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dragoon said:
I hate to name names for fear of any retribution, but they are located off the 78 behind Costco, and I don’t like them simply because they are very hard to deal with and I feel one deal was slightly underhanded. However, when the bike was barely rideable, it was with in reach when I needed it.

PS, I am desperately looking for an indy mechanic, but I suppose few of them take the extended warrantee, even thought the paperwork says it is valid everywhere there is a licensed shop.
Ahh yes, I don't particularly like them either! Fun Bike Center does good work but they ARE a stealership and pricey for even the most basic of work. Good luck finding an independent......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts