Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am constantly see comments "o your bike is at 28,000 its barely broken in, does that mean my 86 that just rolled 20,000 is barely broken in. and i know my bike is fast for what it is and i have been told they like high rpms. i have done a few high rpm shifts (redline is 7.5k, i shifted at 7k) i am not afraid of anything broken just diggen for info in the off season. i will say after getting her running right she is a freight train through all the gears

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Year wise, your bike's got age. Mileage wise no so much, thus the "hardly broken in" comments,,my 06 is just shy of hitting 65,000 miles and running with no issues at 7 years old.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whats that say about me, we are the same age lol. most people almost argue with me when i say its 28

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Much like us, Age takes it's toll, But yea it's barely broken in, but restored it is a beast but seals and any item that may be effected with carosion will be the issues. But you should still have many more miles as long as you keep up with maintenance.

Dauntae

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Most motorcycle engines, new or older, are fully broken in at less than 1000 miles. When someone says a bike with higher miles is "barely broken in" they are trying to say that the mill has lots of miles left in it.

Don't get too excited about your bikes high performance. While it has a little more punch than like cc later model year scooters...it's still a Honda cruiser, and in the world of real high performance sleds...it's a snail.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most motorcycle engines, new or older, are fully broken in at less than 1000 miles. When someone says a bike with higher miles is "barely broken in" they are trying to say that the mill has lots of miles left in it.

Don't get too excited about your bikes high performance. While it has a little more punch than like cc later model year scooters...it's still a Honda cruiser, and in the world of real high performance sleds...it's a snail.
im not claiming its a muscle bike or a crotch rocket but for a 700 it surprises the hell out of me continuously , but yes its still a mid size vtwin. cany help but brag about what I love lol. as far as corrosion there is non I can see on the engine and doesn't leak a drop of anything

·
Registered
229 Posts
If I where you, I would not tart the engine with the shifting at 7k. Treat the engine like it diserves, or in my opinion shift at 5k and not higher if not needed. By needed I mean in situations like passing other vehicles or getting to the max speed allowed on the road you are driving.
Remember its an older engine and risks of damaging at high rpm's I would not take.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I where you, I would not tart the engine with the shifting at 7k. Treat the engine like it diserves, or in my opinion shift at 5k and not higher if not needed. By needed I mean in situations like passing other vehicles or getting to the max speed allowed on the road you are driving.
Remember its an older engine and risks of damaging at high rpm's I would not take.

I hear yea, I have don't it more then I should but most of it was trying to get it running right, after I knew it was running right and pulling through the rpm range like it should I eased up on it. it still runs like brand new and I change the oil a lot more then I probably should. I put about 6.5k on the clock this year and I changed the oil 3 times and I use rotella t6. in any of the oil changes the oil looked great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think age and mileage on a bike is a direct result to the care and service it has had in its past. My 86 VT700 now has 36K on it. Before I got it life was not kind to it. I have nursed it back to life and we are both happy. It pulls strong, always starts easy, passes anything needed and gives good fuel mileage. As far as the hi rpm shifting, I don't know if I would make it a habit of shifting at 7.5 K, that's winding pretty tight. These V twins don't take well to that on a prolonged basis. Treat them with respect and care and you will both be happy for a long time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
After un-sticking the chokes on my 89, I have had no issues. New plugs and it runs great and only 8,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts