1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,,

new to riding, and just got my first bike

1996 Honda Shadow VLX 600 (vt600cd)

Been on a couple of rides with my father who has 100+ hp harleys, and I have been trying to keep up off the line on my bike.

I am just wondering if my bike has a rev limiter so I cant over rev it. It doesnt have a tach and I seem to have to rev up to get power, and those honda's are bullet proof, can I rev it up to the limiter to find out where it is? So may better learn its limits.

·
Registered
16,421 Posts
can I rev it up to the limiter to find out where it is?...unquote.... ;)
That`s what I did once...
I was taking off and the rev limiter kicked in, I didn`t know what happened...
Take off in first and see what happens...
It should limit the revs soas NOT to blow up...it "cuts out"!!!
Have you reached the limit as yet???
:p
D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't think VLXs have a rev limiter. An engineered limiter is carb air intake openings and fuel metering. This is how the top RPMs and HP of NASCAR vehicles is controlled. Without restrictor plates, they would be kissing 300mph and flying off the tracks.

If you want to ride a cycle at red line levels, trade your Shadow in for a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If it has electronic ignition it has a limiter. Should be able to bounce it pretty easy except in the top gear. Take a 1/4 mile ride. A honde is nothing like a HD, Honda power come in at the higher RPM ranges, where the HD is more bottom end power. HD more bottom grunt, Honda more power where it counts.

·
Registered
16,421 Posts
I don't think VLXs have a rev limiter.....................unquote...................
I dunno!!!
My 98VT750 does, it surprized me when it went to cuttin out and no more power/speed gain...I didn`t push it really hard fer the limiter to function...
Don`t Blow it up!!!,
D

Edit;
At camp one night, some fool was demonstrating the limiter on his LOUD Bike!!!
Thank God fer earplugs!!

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Captain D

At every rally I go to some ass hole Harley guy (bc most rallies are filled with harley's) will find his rev limiter. Usually it's dueling bikes on opposite sides of the world showing who's balls are bigger. Then you get the assholes that have to hear their bikes idle all f'ing day and start at 6 am...

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Your bike DOES have a rev limiter. But, as already said, Hondas love to rev. That limiter is much higher than you think it is.

Get 'er up to about 80 in second gear and you'll find the limiter. That is no exaggeration.

--Justin

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you are new to riding your Father shouldn't be putting you into dangerous situations or circumstances where either your bike or your experience would be an issue.

Tell Dad to Slow the F down or you'll quit riding with him. He doesn't need to impress you.

Any group functions best at the level of it's least experienced rider.

He should know that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts