Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am a relatively new rider. My husband is very passionate about his motorcycle and fortuneately for me he encouraged me to get my own motorcycle. So I did. It was the best thing I ever did. DO any of you have wives who ride solo?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Yes, she (Purple Lady) rides solo....has been for about 14 years(1100 Shadow). BUT, with me having both a Shadow and a Wing she stills rides as passenger at times. 8) At these times it's great to have her back as a passenger. And NO, she doesn't try to "operate/drive" the bike with this change of position (she does, from time to time, comment on my driving :roll: :lol: :lol: ). She's a great passenger. :D

Bullzeyet

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
ladyrider4life said:
Hey guys I am a relatively new rider. My husband is very passionate about his motorcycle and fortuneately for me he encouraged me to get my own motorcycle. So I did. It was the best thing I ever did. DO any of you have wives who ride solo?
Mine's got a scooter (Suzuki Burgman 400). She used to have her own cruiser way back before kids. She mostly rides pillion, tho'.

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
LR4L,

We do both. And enjoy both kinds of riding for what they offer us.

CB

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reverend357 tells me all the time that he so glad that I finally have done something for myself and I would have to agree. I love the freedm and adventures The Rev and I have everytime we get on our rides and take off. Sometimes we don't even have a destination we just ride.... Ain't life great when you ride? Erika

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
My VSO rides her own bike. She has been on the back of mine but doesn't like how I drive so she prefers to ride her own.

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,274 Posts
My wife was riding pillion for about 8 years and finally bought a bike ()1996 250 Nighthawk and took the MSF basic rider class last year. After about 900 miles of local rides (75 mile maximums), she felt ready to step up to a larger bike so we got her a 2006 Boulevard S50 last month. She's loving being the "driver".

We've had a 500-mile roundtrip 2-up after she got her endorsement last year and we'll have a similar one in June. But we'll probably be almost always solo after that. She's a LOT different as a passenger now and doesn't like riding back there at all.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
My wife rides solo, but started on the pillion.....about 10k miles later decided on her own - without any prompting from me to give riding a try.

She has been riding a couple years now and loves it.

She will occassionally hop on the pillion and ride with me at the end of a long day of riding when she is just wants to relax....or the occassional on a picture taking excursion - snaps some great stuff from the back seat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not the wife, but the girlfriend. I ride my own, but it took me about 2 years before I got my own. He likes that I've got my own bike. Now I can ride when he doesn't have time and I actually log more miles than he does. It definitely made me a better passenger when we do ride 2-up.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I can't answer since I don't have a wife. :wink:

I'm not in the 'norm' of women riders. I never had a guy who rode with me on the back and convinced me to ride my own. I hate riding on the back of a bike and have only done it once or twice. As a matter of fact, my fiance doesn't even ride so I'm usually on my own or with my Crazy Canucks group.

I decided on my own to get my licence and buy a bike. I was saying I would do it for a few years before I was financially in a position to get a bike. No way was I going to get my licence and not afford a bike to ride!

I know there are a few other women on this forum like me, who ride solo and their significant others don't ride. Like Lisa, Kara, and Yvette.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
My 15 year old daughter always wanted to go with me. I on the other hand hated having a passanger on the bike with me. I encouraged her to take the MSF class and she passed and had her permit to ride. I got her a 250 Rebel last year so now when I go, she tags along. I'm now planning our first three state trip together as soon as she's out of school.

The wife would never get on a bike with me and that's a good thing as I don't want to pay for another bike.......hee, hee. :shock:

In fact I removed the passanger seat to nip that in the bud! :twisted:

·
Registered
100 Posts
My wife will not--patently refuses to--go solo on anything beyond a moped. She was almost as excited as I was over my new bike simply because the pillion on it was much more comfortable than the '84. (I'll need to take her word on that.)

·
Registered
209 Posts
My wife has already told me that when the kids are old enough to give her some time to herself she's going to get her own bike. For now she has a big, mean, 4x4 Suburban that she affectionately calls "her baby." Let's just say baby's pipes sound much better than mine do. I sure cannot wait to go riding with my honey someday on twin bikes. That will be cool.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Solo Partner

You bet! I bought my wife a VLX for a grad. present when she finished her MSF course a couple of years ago. She put 20K+ miles on it in 15 months. She rides a Kaw 800 now (fabulous bike) and averages 12-1500 miles/month. She rides to work everyday and we are out nearly every evening and exploring somewhere on the weekends. We can ride everyday here in AZ and there is an endless supply of great rides. We ride 2-up occasionally just to keep sharp. It is important that we are both able to do this comfortably. You never know when you might have to!
We are going to CycleFest this weekend and she will demo all of the latest stuff. She rode 16 different bikes at last year's event from the Kawasaki V2000, Mean Streak, H-D Softail, Honda VTX's ect. At 5'5'', 115# she now knows that she can handle about anything.
I see many more women riders now and hope you are enjoying it as much as we are.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
williewonka said:
I know there are a few other women on this forum like me, who ride solo and their significant others don't ride. Like Lisa, Kara, and Yvette.
A special breed we must be :D :D

I ride but my hubby doesn't :D

·
Registered
622 Posts
My DW rides pillon. She talks about getting a scooter for around town, but wouldn't think about riding her own bike. See, the scooters have automatic transmissions and that's what she needs.

And yes Lisa, Kara, Yvette, and Willie, a special breed you must be!

Bruce

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ladyrider,

My wife rides her own bike. We took the MSF course together about 5 years ago. In fact, getting motorcycle licenses was her idea. Her first bike was a used 2001 Suzuki Maurader (mine a used 2001 Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe). I moved up to a used 2001 Spirit 1100 she moved up to a 2004 Spirit 1100.

This past weekend, we had a Northern Virginia ride, 9 bikes. Three were riden solo by some wonderful women riders (my wife, blueeyes, and Saint's wife).

Good for you for taking the steps to ride your own ride.

Jim

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.