Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I could be wrong but I think you are only saving about $40 from getting a NEW Memphis (and you would not have to pay shipping from cruizercustomizing.com) and just in my expierences It's hard to throw down a lot of money on ANYTHING but you do get what you pay for and a piece of sharp plasic that sits directly infront of my face when riding @ 70MPH is NOT the place I would skimp.

But Like I said I am not familuar with the brand it might be a good deal, but I would go with a new Memphis.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hard to say. I'm not familiar with that brand. A new Memphis Shades Fats with mounting hardware will run you in the $250 - $275 range so this is definitely cheaper.

For me - I'd go with the brand I knew had a good reputation. I've found you pretty much get what you pay for. I can sure vouch for the quality of Memphis Shades stuff.

I guess that may not have been very helpful. :roll:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd skip it. That sounds a little high for a non name brand. Be patient, and a Memphis will come along for that price or lower. It did for me. Got the mounting kit for my girlfriend's 750 ACE off ebay for $50--it was brand-new, still in package, and I was the only bidder. Then I bought the rest brand-new online for $120. And just before Christmas, no less. Made my girlfriend very happy. You can also troll craigslist for folks selling bikes. Accessories don't raise the value appreciably, so someone trying to unload a 750 might be happy to sell the windshield and mounting kit for $150 or so. Just find a likely target and get in touch after it's been on the market for 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Did you take a mearsurement for the correct size windshield yet?
I would guess a 22" would put you looking through it rather than just over it.

Have someone hold a yard stick on the top of your headlight angled about like a windshield - sit on the bike in a comfortable posture. look down the road at a spot on the ground about 10-20ft in front of the bike, then look at the mark on the yard stick to determine the height where you are looking over - use that number and subtract an inch, then buy a windshield that is that height or the next size lower.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Neve heard of that brand either, but would continue with the other comments, I know the more name brands are a little expensive but you only get what you pay for, so for me I would feel better spending the money as a windshield becomes a functional piece of the bike and it's your comfort, I have the National Cycle Heavy Duty Windshield and also there lowers and this combo has been great for me, now I know some say to be able to look over the shield which I can if I strectch up a little but normally I look thru it and that's what I want, so think about it for awhile and remember your handle :lol: you wanna keep them looking pretty :D

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Kim,

A Slipstreamer is a decent quality windshield, but the mounting kit can be a bit of a PITA.

As others have said, there are lots of deals to be had on eBay. Be creative in your searching, and know what brand / size shield you're looking for. Windshields are not brand specific, just the mount kits are. A great deal on a shield will offset the cost of a mount kit. And someone else may be selling a mount kit after moving a shield to a new bike. If you go that route, though, be sure to double check the part number of the mount kit with the manufacturer so you don't end up with a box of unusable parts.

CB

·
Registered
23 Posts
Slipstream is not actually a non name brand. I have this shield and it works and looks as good as the Memphis Fat I had before it. The only downside is it is not a quick disconnect shield.
The price of the Slipstream with all connecting hardware is about the same as the Memphis shield alone. The hardware is extra with the Memphis.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your Input

I just want to say thanks for your input.. I appreciate it. Makes for a tough decision. Is the Memphis Fats a quick release. I dont know a dang thing about windshields etc.. and your input is great.. I believe when I went to the Honda Dealer they suggested I get the 17" as I was sitting on my bike when they measured it.. I guess I could attempt to go there with the bike again to make sure.

Thanks for the input, you all have been a great help in this!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
On the memphis shades, you loosen 4 bolts, remove the windshield, and retighten the bolts. Less than 2 minutes to remove or install.

I went with the memphis shades because of their reputation. Do a search on this forum and you will find that people had nothing but great things to say about their customer service.

·
Registered
25 Posts
docc30 said:
On the memphis shades, you loosen 4 bolts, remove the windshield, and retighten the bolts. Less than 2 minutes to remove or install.

I went with the memphis shades because of their reputation. Do a search on this forum and you will find that people had nothing but great things to say about their customer service.
I'll second that!

Although I can't get rid of the buffetting, I still like my memphis fats for those cold and wet days!

Quick on and off, and good customer service!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Docc

Docc, Thanks for the websites on that.. From what I have been noticing.. They seem to be the cheapest. I found crash bars Cobra ones on ebay for a good deal too. It's great to be part of a forum that is willing to help out with the searching. Thanks again for your help.. I don't know what I would do without ya guys and gals.

Thanks once more for helping this newbie. Gee by the end the summer I probably wont be a newbie anymore or How long does it take for me to be a Not Newbie.. lol :lol:

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,270 Posts
Doesn't look like a great deal to me -- $190 (including shipping) versus $215 for a Memphis Shades Fats (including mounting kit) from Phat Performance [http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MEM-FAT17 & http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MEM9908 if I've got everything right -- not sure about the cutout you'd need] or $194 + shipping from Motorcycle Pro Shop [http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/acc/memphis/metric.asp mounting kit should be MEM9908 but I'm not sure what color you'd want].

The Fats is about the same dimensions as the one you posted. I can recommend the Memphis Shades very highly and the same is true for Phat Performance; I've got no experience with Motorcycle Pro Shop, Harber's Cycle Parts or or Slipstreamer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now the Question is the Color..

I have gotten some good feedback on this. The suzuki site seems to be the cheaper of the too.. When looking at my bike and sitting on it the 19" I think would be better as opposed to the 21" I can look over the windshield straight.. The question is.. Since most of you have done lots to your bike, should I go with the clear gradient or the black.. My bike is black and I want it to look good. Some feedback would help me making my final decision.. We are getting close to ordering now so any feedback on the color would be great. Thanks again for your help.. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Re: Now the Question is the Color..

blueeyes2114 said:
I have gotten some good feedback on this. The suzuki site seems to be the cheaper of the too.. When looking at my bike and sitting on it the 19" I think would be better as opposed to the 21" I can look over the windshield straight.. The question is.. Since most of you have done lots to your bike, should I go with the clear gradient or the black.. My bike is black and I want it to look good. Some feedback would help me making my final decision.. We are getting close to ordering now so any feedback on the color would be great. Thanks again for your help.. It is much appreciated.
Well I don't know about "U" but I like the clear, that way you can see my Black Shadow thru the shield........ :lol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like clear it will be..

I am going to take your word for it.. Clear shield and clear lowers.. I just want to thank the people who have contributed to this. Time to make the order..!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.