Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So hopefully anyone that does their own mantinence on a older dual carb vlx will understand my pain. Removing the stock air box.

I swear I remove the carbs twice a month and the air box is a PiTA (to say the very least) to get out of the way. And you although phsyics says when a softer material is rubbing against a harder material the softer material will wear first, this bike has proven that different. For years the vibrations of the PLASTIC air box against the ALUMINUM valve cover has worn away at the VALVE COVER! So I decided to make my own air box! A "better" one with the same air filter. It was time for change, then I relized change, change was my answer! Well not literally change but what held it!

I know your at least smiling at what you might think is "rigging" but it turns out nice! :mrgreen:

So I cut the clear change tube used the bottom of the tube stand to make an end cap and the top to make a flare to mount to the air filter and some custom PVC fittings.

A few minutes of epoxy, dremeling, measuring and a lot of ingenuity and
I had a new air box! It fits sooooo much better!:eek:

It installed Sam way as the stock one and I can go back to the stock one at any time!

I still have a few little things to work out but it works great the stock air filter clamps right up to it snuggly took it for a ride and absolutely no problem with performance. It is also opaque (see through) so I can make sure their is no gunk in the box. Thanks all!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Louder? The air box itself did not increase in volume if that is what u mean? It is quieter thanni expected

·
Registered
66 Posts
no laughing matter here! Great job.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
great mod looks kewl - i woulda been even more impressed if you used the actual meter part of it !! that would have llooked killer - but again great mod looks shweet
Thought about it! But it was bigger than the stock box! I was going for smaller:wink:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
So, Grasshopper, ingenuity and a slight bit of genius has come to our group, eh? Looks good and darn good high-powered thinking!:-D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys for all the positive support. I might eventually make an all aluminum air box exactly like this. U guys are great encouragement!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
damn,thats cool,good job.,i too thought you were goin to use the meter portion to make your airbox..lol
i want to replace my big as$ed dorky air cleaner with one of those smaller round ones that are about 2-4" in diameter but still dont know how its goin to mount,ive asked a cpl people on here that has em on their vlxs how they mounted them to the carb and they never posted a pic like they said they would to show me..someone mentioned taking a radiator hose and goin that route,so idk..i may see if that will work ,later when extra $$ comes around.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
damn,thats cool,good job.,i too thought you were goin to use the meter portion to make your airbox..lol
i want to replace my big as$ed dorky air cleaner with one of those smaller round ones that are about 2-4" in diameter but still dont know how its goin to mount,ive asked a cpl people on here that has em on their vlxs how they mounted them to the carb and they never posted a pic like they said they would to show me..someone mentioned taking a radiator hose and goin that route,so idk..i may see if that will work ,later when extra $$ comes around.
Honestly Craig there is nothing holding even the stock air box in but it's connection to the carbs and air filter. Same with my new one, the connections to carbs and air filter hold it way sturdier than ud expect.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Awesome love it hell anybody can buy parts good job

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thnks again everybody! If anyone needs more or different pix let me know!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.