Honda Shadow Forums banner

Is there ANY time it is acceptable for someone to touch your gear?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Let me introduce a thought provoking question. We all have heard the stories or even been part of this to some extent. Yes, to the general public motorcycles are fascinating; love'em or hate'em, there's always a factor whether jealousy or preconceived notion. Some of these kooks ogle (acceptable), breath-on (weird, but acceptable), touch (unacceptable) and few go as far as actually sitting on your bike while you're not around with the assumption that it's public domain NOT ACCEPTABLE). However, this is not my point.

I work in an office environment. I ride to work as much as possible and while I put my gear away, I place my jacket on my chair and helmet on the side part of my desk. See where I'm going yet? Most folks at the office respect each other's privacy as it relates to personal items. But, there are those few; the few that think because they know you, albeit only the "office" you, they have permission to just touch your items. And by touch, I mean actually handle and go as far as attempting to try on my helmet and/or jacket AND gloves. From my experience, it usually stems from those who have never rode a motorcycle and generally make comments about how dangerous it is and even that they've had "a friend" that .......... I've heard them all.

What in the actual hell drives this kind of behavior?

Your opinions matter, so share your stories. I have to go slap a couple folks now and get disinfectant from the kitchen. :sick:

don't touch2.JPG

Administrator
I have been fortunate that no one has ever felt the need to touch my gear let alone try it on. Being bigger than the average bear prevents a lot of this. I do not mean from the intimidation factor, I mean that the potential offender simply would not fit into my coat/helmet/gloves. So the fantasy they have about trying on gear, looking cool, looking like a biker 馃檮 or whatever can't be fulfilled as they would simply look like a child wearing their parents clothing.
Besides the disrespect of touching other peoples' belongings, what I am leery of is what critters do the potential offender have on them? I say this because I spent over two decades working in group homes and treatment centers and things like exposure to head lice and other parasites was a real risk. I have no interest in anyone trying my helmet on for any reason and sharing their flea circus with me.

Premium Member
I think it boils down to a lack of respect for others and their belongings. A phrase from my parents during childhood comes mind. "Does that belong to you?" Usually it was accompanied by a stern look.

Registered
I have a car with a fold down top. One fine day the top was down and I was picking up a friend at a restaurant (probably a bar). In a for a few minutes so I didn't put the top up. No top up no use locking. When we came out there were 2 people sitting in my car.

When I rode to my office, I put helmet, gloves etc out of sight. Sometimes image is important.

The smell of burnt skin on the exhaust pipes usually deters people sitting on the bike.

G.

Registered
I've never had anyone touch my gear when I ride the bike in to work, but until a few years ago, I used to store a lot of folks bikes at my place while they were deployed overseas. My house and property slowly became a central meet-up and hangout place. In my absence one time, one of the guys thought it would be cool to take one of my bikes out and putt around on it a bit. Alcohol in copious amounts was involved from what I understand. The bike got totaled.

Registered
Remember that these are the same people that will eat your lunch out of the fridge even though it has your name on it. Many, many years ago I saw a Harley with a sticker on it that said "If you value your life as much as I value this bike, DON'T [email protected]#$ WITH IT. The F word was spelled out.

Registered
I have come out of stores and found people sitting on my bike. My buddy has a classic hot rod and we've come out and found people sitting on his hood posing for pics. Thoughtless.

Registered
gdb069 - they were siting in your car, really?
Yep. As we exited the restaurant a guy was getting out and a girl got in. They were taking photos of each other. They were about 25, nicely dressed and clean maybe tourists and I was so surprised I said nothing. They complemented the car, said sorry for sitting in it, and walked away for more photos. I remember the girl was very attractive. I would not have been so nice if they were hobos. Sorry hobos.

G.

Registered
I used to have a Kawasaki, I stopped at a gas station went in and when I came out this little punk a$$ was on my bike messing with it, I walked up to him and said " Is that your bike?!" (punk) "no" me "that's right it's NOT your bike then why you FUHKIN with it!"
As for my gear it's either stowed where no one can mess with it or if it is out they don't mess with it because they're bikers also and have respect for others and their gear.

Administrator
I have come out of stores and found people sitting on my bike. My buddy has a classic hot rod and we've come out and found people sitting on his hood posing for pics. Thoughtless.
I had something similar happen with my Vette. I Came out of a store from doing my shopping and as a walked across the parking lot I witnessed a young woman posing in front of my car. Her boyfriend was snapping various shots of her in a variety of poses. As I got closer the young woman started to try to climb on the hood of the car for yet another pose. I shouted at the two to get off of the car. They stood their stunned, the girl, her hands on the hood, one leg lifted in the air and her boyfriend looking around wondering what to do next. I walked up and bluntly asked them what they thought they were doing. They sputtered that they were doing nothing wrong, that they were only trying to get some pictures and that they aren't or wouldn't damage my car. How oblivious can someone be?

Registered
WOW!!! Just WOW!!!!
Some folks just ain`t got no good Upbringing!!!!
I imagine, what with so many "Selfies" we gotta be MORE PROTECTIVE of our Stuff!!!
I didn`t carry a firearm, BUT I do now, because of Total disrespect and No feeling for others....
You ain`t gotta be concerned about me (nor any of the young`uns we bring up) doing such a thing...
I have respect & We teach respect,
Dennis

Good Orderly Direction is taught here

Registered
Good thoughts Dennis. Not very much in the way of respect or MANNERS taught anymore.

Registered
I had something similar happen with my Vette. I Came out of a store from doing my shopping and as a walked across the parking lot I witnessed a young woman posing in front of my car. Her boyfriend was snapping various shots of her in a variety of poses. As I got closer the young woman started to try to climb on the hood of the car for yet another pose. I shouted at the two to get off of the car. They stood their stunned, the girl, her hands on the hood, one leg lifted in the air and her boyfriend looking around wondering what to do next. I walked up and bluntly asked them what they thought they were doing. They sputtered that they were doing nothing wrong, that they were only trying to get some pictures and that they aren't or wouldn't damage my car. How oblivious can someone be?
Same with our situation. It was a real smoke show that was sitting on the hood of his car getting her picture taken. When my friend explained it was over a $10k paint job she was rolling around on and she would be responsible to replace if there was one scratch in it, her eyes widened up but she couldn't understand why or what she was doing wrong. No concept of personal property or the costs and values of show vehicles. The a-hole she was with flipped us some crap by saying if it was worth that much, why were we out driving it? WTF??

Registered
Id lose my **** if I found someone on my car or bike. I have a heavy metal flake paint job on my car and for whatever reason everyone wants to touch it.
"Oh I just wanted to see if it was smooth."
Wtf. I knew when I was a child that you dont touch anyone's personal property without expressed permission.

Registered
Really someone wants to put my helmet on after a summer in the 90's? I do like to have women try on my jacket it's heavy as ****. They just don't have an idea what a leather riding jacket weighs in at.

Sit on my? No.......don't do that I will not like it.

Registered
Never had an issue that I know of w/o permission with any of my rides or gear. I'd say the Valk or the Vulcan look too heavy to even have thought to straddle them. They definitely look they're 825 lb. weight.

Registered
Never had an issue that I know of w/o permission with any of my rides or gear. I'd say the Valk or the Vulcan look too heavy to even have thought to straddle them. They definitely look they're 825 lb. weight.
I've got a friend who used to ride a Valk and there's been a couple of times he's found people sitting on his bike. Typically females getting selfies as well as some dude "just checking it out".

Registered
I've got a friend who used to ride a Valk and there's been a couple of times he's found people sitting on his bike. Typically females getting selfies as well as some dude "just checking it out".
Well Chief I live in a different planet/state where for the most part people just know better or have been taught respect for other people. Not saying it doesn't happen but the percentage of HD riders and their $$$$$ machines kinda keeps DA's at bay so to speak just never seen it happen but....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts