Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
The most infuriating part is that Showa themselves knows what Harley is doing, and they still sell them fork lowers that are “41mm”. Go try to put 41mm HD turn signal clamps meant to go around a fork on a 41mm Honda tube, they end up being loose as all hell on the actually 41mm Honda forks and require shims. Ask me how I know...
Hahahhahaha! I have a set of those laying around, too.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
This Harley dealer by me does a yearly at both its locations, each location has a new Road Glide in a clear trailer they raffle off. I always buy a ticket because they throw in a t shirt. For the price of a raffle ticket and the taxes I would ride the crap out of it. I won’t buy another one, I went that route twice and regretted it both times. You know what I like about Honda? That mofo in my garage always starts and runs, just keep her maintained! But a free $25k bike is a free $25k bike!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would ride the give away Harley for a while and problem just up my bike total. Depends whether it was worth paying the taxes on it.
If ride the piss out of it. I own two Harley's and a shadow. I'm on the shadow today. Headlight stopped working. I'm gonna have to go home before dark now. I have less trouble out of my Harley's and it's easier to find parts and accessories for them.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
A headlight that stops working is easily fixed with a new bulb. What that's has to do with Honda's reliability may I ask?

Harley's are "less trouble?" That's debatable, but after you exceed a blank mileage, things can and will fall apart big time ala harley-esque. And of course, it's easier to find parts for Harleys because they discontinued the Shadow line, and vendors don't sell bling because Shadow owners are either too tight-S or poor or both.

·
Registered
596 Posts
If ride the piss out of it. I own two Harley's and a shadow. I'm on the shadow today. Headlight stopped working. I'm gonna have to go home before dark now. I have less trouble out of my Harley's and it's easier to find parts and accessories for them.
Might be the starter switch, clean it.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit - NHB01 Black
489 Posts
A headlight that stops working is easily fixed with a new bulb. What that's has to do with Honda's reliability may I ask?

Harley's are "less trouble?" That's debatable, but after you exceed a blank mileage, things can and will fall apart big time ala harley-esque. And of course, it's easier to find parts for Harleys because they discontinued the Shadow line, and vendors don't sell bling because Shadow owners are either too tight-S or poor or both.
Gotta agree with this, a simple headlight bulb can fail on anything, even the million dollar concours restored classic can have that simple failure. Let’s talk about the Harley “three hole” service, which is something that steers me away from the HD life. Depending on what model you ride it’s a different fluid for the engine, trans and primary. Meanwhile Honda takes care of all the engine/trans/drive fluids in a single oil change(yeah, there is diff for shaft models...) Hell, even adding coolant to the system is less different types fluids than most HD rides.

Again, not hating...pointing out differences! Dead honest in another world where maintenance was no worry of mine and I had means and money to pay someone else to do it... I’d have a CVO glide all day.

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
1,109 Posts
I was at the Harley dealer one day looking around and saw the 750. I thought it was a sharp looking bike. I liked the setup of the bars and pegs, it looked comfortable. I thought the 883 was the smallest they made.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
193 Posts
I used to work nearby the HD store in Hamburg. During lunchtime I used to visit their showrooms from time to time. For sure they have some very nice bikes. And very expensive. I have no idea if they are good bikes, if they are a good ride, no idea if they handle well etc. Apart from that, are that good bikes, nowadays? When I was in my mid-20's I was dreaming of a 1200 Sportster...
What I really DON'T like about HD, many of their bikers are just riding to show off, are vain peacocks. Sometimes, like today (sunny but cool, nice ride) I think they are all like that, and that sucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I've been busy, but I'm gonna pull the gas tank and look and see tomorrow. It's not a bulb. Already new that when I posted. Bulbs never blow both filaments at the same time. It's not the switch.

I replaced the stock starter switch when it broke in half inside and the bike died leaving me stranded on the side of the road. Fortunately another biker stopped and helped me push start it and I got home. I replaced with aftermarket switches and used relays to emulate the function of the starter switch disconnecting the headlight. Something has probably come loose with that. Everything but the relays is soldered under the gas tank there. The relays themselves are standard relays with spade connectors.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
It's not a bulb. Already new that when I posted.
  • Bulbs never blow both filaments at the same time.

My bad. In fact, I thought of that after I hit the post button.

I replaced with aftermarket switches and used relays to emulate the function of the starter switch disconnecting the headlight. Something has probably come loose with that. Everything but the relays is soldered under the gas tank there. The relays themselves are standard relays with spade connectors.

Agreed.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts