Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
draggin jeans were recently recommended to me by another rider as the best choice for riding pants, jackets. there is no dealer in my area to personally eyeball their stuff, so any personal feedback appreciated. also, thanks for all the great feedback on my "motorcycle music" posting - lots of great songs!! :D

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Don't know if I would go so far as say they are the best choice for riding pants. It really depends on what you are looking for. I've been wearing Draggin' Jeans for the last couple years and I really like them. The kevlar provides an air space on your butt and knees so your butt doesn't sweat in the summer and your knees stay warm under the leathers in the winter. The kevlar also provides better protection that just plain jeans but I've not tried that out yet. If what you want is the best protection, there are other pants available that are better. For a comfortable pair of jeans that gives you a little better protection, you can't beat Draggin' Jeans.

sanoke

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I've been thinking about the riding pants I wear -- Carhartt heavyweight canvas duck. Better than shorts, but I doubt it would provide much real protection in a fall. And there's no impact armor.

What's the selling point of these "Draggin' Jeans?" Abrasion protection, impact protection, or both?

Also, what's your opinion of "Bohn-Armor-Pants":

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?prod=BGLA

Near as I can figure, it's really impact protection, but doesn't promise much abrasion protection.

·
Registered
399 Posts
For the price of new kevlar pants of any brand (apx. $112) you can get good leather pants-over-pants as well. I've been watching...say it with me... ebay! for kevlar pants and you can, of course, buy a "previously owned" pair for a lot less, which is probably what I'll do, since I can justify that expense easier than new leather pants-over-pants. Body armor is another whole subject that I'm just not into now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
JTravis1973 said:
Don't forget that Gussett Brand jeans makes a motorcycle pant also. They're Kevlar lined and give you that "extra room" to make long rides and squatting down more comfortable. http://www.gussetclothing.com/defend.html

I recommend them and G. Gordon Liddy endorses them.
At $112.00 they had better be good, I bought my riding pants for not too much more than that and they're waterproof, and connect to my jacket. I don't think these would work over regular pants, and since most of my riding is to work in a dirty machine shop, I wouldn't want to wear $112 pants that were going to get destroyed.

G

·
0 Posts
I've been wearing them for about a year and a half. They're very comfortable - almost like wearing an old pair of jeans. They're indistinguishable from blue jeans from the outside. Inside, there's plenty of kevlar in vital areas so, in the event of a slide on the pavement, you don't lose any skin. They're cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The kevlar in the butt area provides a small amount of cushioning. The waist is just slightly higher than regular jeans which makes them fit perfectly while seated on a cycle. They are quite durable and well made.

The only negative would be lack of armor or a slick way to affix armor. There are knee pads available that velcro to the inside. I'm not sure this is the perfect way to add armor. You might do better to just wear knee pads of some sort.

Aside from the armor issue, they are great motorcycling pants. I love mine.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The problem I have with Draggin Jeans and other such products is that from my own experience where you typically need additional protection is along the thighs and hips as well as the fanny and knees.

If you low side a bike or get flipped off more likely than not you'll spend some time sliding on your side. A typical pair of BJ's will last a fraction of a second in a slide like that and Draggin jeans from their lit does not protect this area, just the kness and fanny. So personally I went the overpants route which also includes knee and hip armor as well as abrasion protection. Due to how hot it get's around here though I went textile rather than leather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those Gussetts look interesting. Does anybody produce jackets like that as well? I agree with the comment about the hips - the Gussetts have that covered, it seems.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
I typically prefer to always use some type of over-clothes like the Ballistic pants I used in cold & wet weather, or the Phoenix pants I use in hot weather. Unzip, peel off, regular street clothes underneath - including shorts or thermals or dress pants for work; whatever the situation calls for. I'll take the over-clothes over single-purpose items all day long.

$.02

Poke around on NewEnough.com or Tonker for some decent pricing on items.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
TucsonDon said:
I've been thinking about the riding pants I wear -- Carhartt heavyweight canvas duck. Better than shorts, but I doubt it would provide much real protection in a fall. And there's no impact armor.

What's the selling point of these "Draggin' Jeans?" Abrasion protection, impact protection, or both?

Also, what's your opinion of "Bohn-Armor-Pants":

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/catalog/?prod=BGLA

Near as I can figure, it's really impact protection, but doesn't promise much abrasion protection.

Draggin jeans are abrasion protection only, and only where the kev is, knees and butt. Better than nothing, but for the money you can get full abrasion protection and some impact protection in full leather pants with armor pads or balistic nylon pants with armor pads.

8)

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,219 Posts
I wore Draggin Jeans for years; finally stopped in the Fall. Rather than buy a new pair (old ones wore out from washing), I decided to buy mesh riding pants as a warm-weather alternative to my leather chaps. I was pleased with the Draggin Jeans overall and only had two issues with them:
1. On hot, sunny days they can get too warm for me.
2. Size is NOT adjustable -- an issue since I've been losing weight over that last year+ (still have about 40 lbs to go).

Somewhere I've got a worn-&-washed-once pair of black Draggin Jeans, size 38-32, that are too big for me now and (hopefully) always will be.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
chornbe said:
I typically prefer to always use some type of over-clothes like the Ballistic pants I used in cold & wet weather, or the Phoenix pants I use in hot weather.
I apologize for being so dense ... but I need some help. I looked up the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants, and it doesn't seem like they're "ballistic" material, but some kind of polyester mesh or something. Am I missing something? I think I read something recently about how mess/air-flow apparel is cooler, but the abrasion protection is less than a real Cordura or ballistic nylon material.

Is the air-flow mesh material a compromise -- less abrasion protection but cooler, so I'd be more likely to wear it in 100+ degree weather?

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Exactly correct, sir. There are better mesh/air flow options out there, but I have stubby little legs and JR stuff seems to be the only ones making pants that fit me :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ordered Draggin Jeans for the wife and I back in March of last year. The wifes were on closeout and shipped right away. Mine were supposed to ship in 4 - 6 weeks. I just got them the first of December.

G

·
0 Posts
Chaser said:
I ordered Draggin Jeans for the wife and I back in March of last year. The wifes were on closeout and shipped right away. Mine were supposed to ship in 4 - 6 weeks. I just got them the first of December.
I ordered mine off their website and got them immediately. Yours must have been backordered or something.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have 2 pair and will probally get another couple. I bought mine at the Honda Hoot in Knoxville!!! I got them dirt cheap, they were 70 and 50 dollars respectfully. The only issue for the price drop was that the were wrinkled and had a little hole on the front. In TN the temps were in the 100 degree range sometimes and they were still comfortable .....

Jordan

·
Registered
29 Posts
TucsonDon said:
chornbe said:
I typically prefer to always use some type of over-clothes like the Ballistic pants I used in cold & wet weather, or the Phoenix pants I use in hot weather.
I apologize for being so dense ... but I need some help. I looked up the Joe Rocket Phoenix pants, and it doesn't seem like they're "ballistic" material, but some kind of polyester mesh or something. Am I missing something? I think I read something recently about how mess/air-flow apparel is cooler, but the abrasion protection is less than a real Cordura or ballistic nylon material.

Is the air-flow mesh material a compromise -- less abrasion protection but cooler, so I'd be more likely to wear it in 100+ degree weather?
I have been looking for a set of overpants and finding that a lot of the m/c gear that is being sold will offer a little better abrasion or crash protection then a thick nylon windbreaker. There is a lot of interesting reading on the dual sport forums (they seem to crash more then cruisers!) I am looking at the Motoport stuff (www.motoport.com). On the top right hand corner of their website there is an interesting article entitled Save your Hide. It seems that for textiles - your best bet is kevlar or cordura with a minimum 620 denier thread thickness.
On the website it says that you can wear these pants comfortably up to 120F - which we did reach this summer in Canada.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
xj899 said:
I am looking at the Motoport stuff (www.motoport.com). On the top right hand corner of their website there is an interesting article entitled Save your Hide.
The PDF can be accessed directly through this link.

An interesting table showing the ability of different fabrics to resist tearing and wearing away under friction:

Click here for the full-size bitmap capture of the table.

The whole PDF is a good read.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts