Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today, that I'm dragging the right heal of my shoes when I make a faster right.

I know that foot is out more than the left, (the extensions put my right calf against my aircleaner), but i really can't tell if i'm leaning further that way or not.

is my bike too low, or are my pegs too low....am i leaning too far, or am i just getting more comfortable on the bike?

anyone else have this kind of issue on their shadows?

'03 750 ACE....btw.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
psychoboy said:
I noticed today, that I'm dragging the right heal of my shoes when I make a faster right.

I know that foot is out more than the left, (the extensions put my right calf against my aircleaner), but i really can't tell if i'm leaning further that way or not.

is my bike too low, or are my pegs too low....am i leaning too far, or am i just getting more comfortable on the bike?

'03 750 ACE....btw.
Yep...and even have it on the Valk from time to time. You are not doing anything wrong. Just hitting the corners faster/harder than you used to. As for why your left isn't hitting as much...it has to do with the roads.

It is a shorter radius on a right hand turn than a left hand turn. Look at a picture of a road and you will see what I mean. I have also found that I like right hand turns more than left hand turns because I have run-off room (granted it is the other lane) in case I hit the corner too hard. Don't have that on left hand turns...especially on the roads around here...not many shoulders on the good roads.

Hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hmm, Nothing out of the norm, just getting more comforable with your bike.

I'm quite the opposite, I always hit on the left, the nub on the left peg is about half worn, while the right is not even touched. Why is this?, It's because I know I paid alot for them pipes and I don't want scrap them :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ride with your toes on the pegs when you're in the twisties. Your heels (or toes) won't drag and its the start of a better seating position for handling your bike through turns.

Sparc

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sparc, I was thinking of your sig pic as I read this thread earlier! I was waiting for you to weigh in. I don't drag anything very often, but when I do it's usually the right. I can only remember dragging the left once and it caught me by surprise to the extent that I yanked my foot up, off the peg. I'm just glad for the grace given to me that I didn't put it back down, on the road, as was my first reaction.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Phsycoboy,
I think you answered your own question, you extended your pegs and that explains why you scrape your heal so easily.
On mine it's not my heal that scrapes, but the bottom edge of the floorboard. That loud "scrape" noise will certainly get your attention!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
PainterD said:
Phsycoboy,
I think you answered your own question, you extended your pegs and that explains why you scrape your heal so easily.
On mine it's not my heal that scrapes, but the bottom edge of the floorboard. That loud "scrape" noise will certainly get your attention!
When I start running through the twisites I often hang my boot heal over the back of the floorboards so I am aware when the 'attention getter' is about to rub - keeps the adrenalin in a controlled release state rather than pissing it all away at once. :wink:

·
Registered
327 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
PainterD said:
Phsycoboy,
When I start running through the twisites I often hang my boot heal over the back of the floorboards so I am aware when the 'attention getter' is about to rub - keeps the adrenalin in a controlled release state rather than pissing it all away at once. :wink:
+1
I like having that "early warning".

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
psychoboy said:

'03 750 ACE....btw.
It's not the bike, tho' you can adjust the rear shock preload some. You need to spend more time on your body position, and perhaps better throttle control thru' the turns. And keep your feet tucked better.

Take the Parks class, or at least go buy the book. It can be a life saver, and it will certainly make you rethink some of the things you're doing while riding.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PainterD said:
Phsycoboy,
my pegs went foward, not out.

they are the stock pegs, they are just 7 inches further foward from where they used to be.

and for the suggestion that i put my toes on the pegs for a better riding position....

how would i operate the brake and shifter?

and.....if i pull my foot down the 6 inches between my arch and my toes....doesn't that INCREASE the odds of dragging my shoe?

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Yes. Yes it would.

As for "control", you shouldn't be using the rear brake in the turns at all (unless you're a fan of double-ended trail braking), and feet-foward controls give you next to nothing for peg-weight control of the bike.

So, tuck your feet, work on your seating position and use that throttle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts