Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In preparation for Spring, been contemplating on whether or not to add some cool graphics to the bike. Its an 86 VT700 all in black as seen in my signature. Was thinking of adding some cool flames (blue or gold) to the tank and fenders. Just turning 50, so nothing too crazy.

Again it looks so great stock as it is. Blame the winter, getting bored staring at the bike just sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Maybe some real subtle ghost flames, in a dark charcoal color? Something that isn't real noticeable until the sun shines on the tank. Just my suggestion.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
Yeah.. just like anything.. Easy to go overboard with graphics.. A little can do some real justice.. A lot can turn your bike into a ???? Fridge ..

Like Tflessner says.. The ghost graphics are pretty cool.. But you gotta be close to really appreciate them.

Whatever you decide.. Have Fun and Post Pics when you're done! ;)

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Just don't put any of those plastic stickers on.. they make it look like a child's toy..

Airbrushed paint work can look awesome but costs a lot of money unless you are skilled enough to do it yourself.

John.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
I'm more of a "nice paint" guy, myself. Nothing beats a nice shiny paint job. If anything, I'd try to find new old stock oem decals.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Maybe some real subtle ghost flames, in a dark charcoal color? Something that isn't real noticeable until the sun shines on the tank. Just my suggestion.
I've always been a fan of flat-black accents on a gloss-black or metallic-black background.

I would agree, solid black is going to be better than poorly done. I know some places that will do the entire tank for a few hundred, but if you want to do the fenders to match you'll be looking at several hundred.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've never been one for a lot of graphics or flashy stuff. Last summer I decided on a new-to-me VTX. I started looking locally. Craigslist, newspaper and dealerships. At the local Honda dealer they had one I liked. Good milage, like new. When I followed the salesman out to it I immediately told him "Oh crap, that paint job is for a twenty year old kid, not me! Well, they haggled and we got the thing $1000 less than they were selling for anywhere else. I bought it. At first I was a little self conscious about the paint. Flashy, maybe a little gaudy for me. Six months later, I love it!
Middle age crazy?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I like that. It adds color and texture but it's tasteful, not overdone. Now the fenders and side covers........

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
do what you like... what you want. 50, so what... you got license, paid the dues of time, its yer rodeo... enjoy every moment of it. i'm thinking about a red horse front with flames for its back side. there are some really cool, mild to wild decals available and they can be top coated. i'm also partial to just black, but black and red are good, or a dark engine orange... tabula rasa, your blank slate.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
What Gypsy said^. It's your ride and you should make it your own whether its flames or flowers. If it feels right to you, then it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts