Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 6000 miles on my VLX 600 and the chain adjustment is at the warning mark and loose again. The axle nuts are as tight as I can get them. Whats the life span of a drive chain.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Till you reach the warning mark.. 6000 miles, in your case, unless previously changed.

·
Registered
19,087 Posts
6,000 ain`t a BUNCH!!!
I thought I had got aholdt of the shortty end of the stick when I only got 18,000 outta my last chain and sprocket set!!!

HMMM,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Thanks again I'll take it to the end, maybe I'm giving to much off the line and streching it, is that possible?
When my chains are a little on the tighter side they dont stretch as much, but you dont want to make them tight. as you lock out the rear suspension, that swingarm needs that free play to be able to move up and down properly and freely. and you can cause increased wear of the sprockets, output shaft bearing, rear axle bearings. so once again LOOSE LIVES.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
It's streching because it is worn out. Hard acceleration, ain't doing it any favors. No that a 600 really has enough power to theaten a good chain. How often are you cleaning and lubing the chain?

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Why is the Warning mark there when there is three more lines to go. Is it alright to take it to the End?
It there to tell you that you have reached the service life of the chain. AND that if you don't start arranging replacement, you are soon to be pushing the bike home. Soon is a relative term 0-6000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.