1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,338 Posts

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Check these out as well.....(good luck with your search)

About us

This is the grasshopper website.

See if they have one for your model.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I'm interested in getting a driver's backrest. This one on Amazon is $146.00 but would like to see a pic of the bottom part of the hardware that attaches. They want $146.00. Anyone out there have a BR that doesn't break the bank?
Amazon.com: Fully Adjustable Driver's Backrest for 04+ Honda Shadow Aero VT750 (Round): Automotive

Cavalry Discount Motorcycle Parts & Accessories
i would recommend you NOT buy the Calvary Brand. (Chinese hit or miss)

There would be 2 choices outside of a custom one imo.

1. Protac

2. CUSTOM WORLD DRIVERS BACKREST 01-172
Note: this won't work with a Mustang seat, only original honda seat. VERY nice backrest.

I do not know the status of Protac right now. The Custom world is a really really nice backrest and i just saw one on Ebay yesterday for $229 but it sold already.
But you cant have a Mustang seat, I went with the Protac because of the Mustang seat no-fit.

Forget the Bakup USA Brand Backrest for use on the later Shadows, you may have to take entire rear seat apart to mount it on the Aero 750 2004+.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,338 Posts
You need to know what kind of seat you have on your ride. I have a one piece Mustang touring so the only one that would work is the Protac. If you have a two piece seat the grasshopper will work.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,452 Posts
So this Grass Hoppers metal bracket stick up all the time w/o the backrest?

·
Banned
5,100 Posts

1. Protac

Note: this won't work with a Mustang seat, only original honda seat. VERY nice backrest.

I do not know the status of Protac right now. The Custom world is a really really nice backrest and i just saw one on Ebay yesterday for $229 but it sold already.
But you cant have a Mustang seat, I went with the Protac because of the Mustang seat no-fit.

Forget the Bakup USA Brand Backrest for use on the later Shadows, you may have to take entire rear seat apart to mount it on the Aero 750 2004+.

Yes, i ended up buying a Protac but i heavily modified it to where the only remaining thing is the actual bent stainless steel rod supporting the backrest.
The mounting brackets were made by Protac but to my drawing and specification NOT their normal production of the model backest they offer for the Aero.

Just dont want anyone thinking they can buy mine at protac, mine is practically totally custom.

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts

1. Protac

I would say your 'limit' on the Custom World not working with the Mustang Seat might have to do with your model bike AND seat. I have a Mustang on my Spirit 750, and CAN put my Custom World Driver Backrest on my bike just fine. It may push in a little on the sides of the passenger seat at the back of the driver seat, but it WILL work.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I would say your 'limit' on the Custom World not working with the Mustang Seat might have to do with your model bike AND seat. I have a Mustang on my Spirit 750, and CAN put my Custom World Driver Backrest on my bike just fine. It may push in a little on the sides of the passenger seat at the back of the driver seat, but it WILL work.
oh yes, i was only talking about the Aero 750 2004+.

I installed a Custom World 01-172 on my bike, or I tried anyway and the backrest support wanted to compress the rear seat on top of the Mustang Seat (a lot), at least on the Wide Vintage Mustang seat model seat (i have) for the Aero 750.

not surprised it would work with the spirit though.

It was ashame too, because its a beautiful backrest set-up and i got one for something like $110 shipped or maybe less it was an amazing deal it was brand spanking new a beautiful. I dont recall all the details but it was a case of dealer overstock where they didnt really know what they had.

Anyway it didnt fit with the Mustang seat which was a bit of a heartbreaker at the time.
I sold it on ebay for like $200 shipped, still a great deal.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I have a custom world (which I love for my crappy back) AND a mustang seat. Mine is a 2013 though, so maybe there was a change some year that made it fit?

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I have a custom world (which I love for my crappy back) AND a mustang seat. Mine is a 2013 though, so maybe there was a change some year that made it fit?
Wait a minute, hold the show...

if i am hearing you right, you're saying you have a 2013 Honda Shadow Aero
with a Vintage Wide Mustang Seat (passenger seat protrudes forward like a faux backrest) *AND* a Chrome World 01-172 Backrest and there is no interference with the seat and backrest?

I tested the above on my bike and the Chrome World Backrest did not fit,
it wanted to sqwoosh the passenger seat in front, iow it came in serious contact with the rear seat on top.

denali1234,

Would you please verify:
1. Year/make Model of your Bike
2. Model Backrest you have (01-172?)
3. Type Mustang Seat you have (Touring Wide Vintage?)

AND best of all could you possibly post some pictures of the Backrest mounted on the Bike?

Something is amiss here, i'd like to clear it up.

thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't forget Utopia back rests. Made for stock seat only. The pad is bigger then most which I like and fully adjustable. You have to install it yourself, but it was pretty easy.
I have a custom world I'll sell you. Good shape.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Don't forget Utopia back rests. Made for stock seat only. The pad is bigger then most which I like and fully adjustable. You have to install it yourself, but it was pretty easy.
any way you could take a pic of it on your Bike and find the Utopia part number
that info could benefit a lot of 2004-2014 (2015? i think so) Aero 750's

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
And, back to the OP...

I'm interested in getting a driver's backrest.
I have an inexpensive, generic, interim solution for you. I bought a weightlifting belt from a sporting goods store for long rides. It does not replace a backrest, but it does help and it was about $25. Even with a backrest, I wear it on LONG rides, over 300/day.

Personally, I use a Corbin DT seat on my Shadow with an Ovalbac backrest. It wasn't cheap, but it was WAAAAAAAY more comfortable than the stock seat with no backrest.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts