Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a bike from out of state.(ebay)

What tags get you home?

Do you pay upfront get the title, insurance and register it before you see it and pick it up?

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just make arrangements with your insurance company. Most DMVs give you 10 to 30 days to register an out of state vehicle. If you have a freshly signed and dated title LEOs won't give you any grief about registration.

The only state I know with 'import' restrictions is California where an out of state (49 state emissions) vehicle must have over 7500 miles on it before it can be registered.

If in doubt, I'm sure a quick visit to your state's DMV website will probably answer all your questions.

Sparc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tags

Virginia offers a transport permit to Va residents just for this sort of thing.
You can get it at DMV office or online, good for 3 days from date of sale, must have insurance, only $5.

So you could purchase a bike anywhere and ride it home legally as long it took 3 days or less.

Check your home DMV site, and the DMV site in the state you will be buying in, They probably have a similar deal.

...ED

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got a 45 day temp tag in Ohio,and it cost as much as my full year plate in Pa.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Usually you just carry insurance and the signed and dated title and you can drive home. Iowa lets you get a temporary plate that's good for 30 days, if I recall correctly, but the previous owner just left their plate on the bike and the registration was still good so I took my chances with that and it worked out fine.

Just make sure the old title is filled out correctly and that it is in your jacket right next to the insurance papers. A lot of companies will let you print out temporary papers right when you buy the policy, or an agent should be able to fax or email you copies. You could probably head out there with a policy picked out, and if you like the bike you could call your agent and ride straight over to a Kinko's and pick up a fax.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just rode mine with the previous owners tag and carried the signed over title. I got it registered in my name about a week after I bought it.
My insurance company said I get automatic coverage since I had existing policies with them - sort of a grace period. I think the insurance was good for 30 days. I was really surprised with my insurance, there are alot of automatic or roll-over coverages, like when I sold my truck I told the agent I wanted to cancel the policy then wondered if I should give the new owner a couple day to get her own policy she told me that my policy would carry over 30 days even on the new owner.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hey Trop...

When I got the Valk, I had Linda send me the VIN so I could get insurance on it. I had the policy start the day I picked the bike up. When we got to her house, Linda and I went to the DMV and got a temporary license for it. It was good for 3 days. The only document I needed was the bill of sale...which was just a simple document stating that Linda sold the Valk (included VIN) to me for $X. And she signed it. I don't remember if they asked for proof of insurance...but they may have. It wasn't an issue for me because I had it already.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to ride the bike home...so getting the temp license didn't help me...but at least I didn't have to worry if I could have ridden it home.

Then, once I got home, I was able to get the bike inspected, and get my plate for it at my DMV. All they needed was the bill of sale and the signed title.

I would call the local DMV (where the bike is located) and see if they offer a temporary license. And while you have them on the phone...find out what they need to have to issue it.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
tropicalsuns said:

What tags get you home?

Do you pay upfront get the title, insurance and register it before you see it and pick it up?

Thanks
In Cali you can register a bike bought from out of state only if it has 7500 miles or more.
In other words they do not want us going to Arizona to buy our bikes and then returning to Cali without the required pollution equipment.

Check with your local DMV.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
AngryHatter said:
tropicalsuns said:

What tags get you home?

Thanks
In Cali you can register a bike bought from out of state only if it has 7500 miles or more.
In other words they do not want us going to Arizona to buy our bikes and then returning to Cali without the required pollution equipment.

Check with your local DMV.
True but with one caveat. You are welcome to buy a brand new bike in Arizona or Nevada or where ever you wish, HOWEVER< you must pay the California sales tax if under 7500 miles on it PLUS you must ensure it meet California emissions. Seen as it is hard to do and expensive at least, you are best to either buy in California if new or wait until there is 7500, If you care to risk it, I had a guy who lived down the road from me who bought a new bike in phoenix because of the great deal. He registered it their and ran n Arizona plates until he hit 750 miles ( about 4 months) and then registered it in CA.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Anyone ever buy a bike out of state and bring it to Illinois? Will title and bill of sale suffice? I have an existing bike policy so I imagine I have a 30 day window to get insurance, but if I get the VIN and order insurance ahead of time, I imagine it will help with any LEO's...

I finally bought an FZ1 to keep the old shadow company and will be picking it up in Indianapolis (he's meeting me half-way from Ohio...)

Can't wait!!

- Dan

·
Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,222 Posts
the previous owner just left their plate on the bike and the registration was still good so I took my chances with that and it worked out fine.
Years ago, I did a similar thing with a used car in CT and got arrested for illegal use of plates -- a felony! The charge was ultimately reduced to a nuisance-like driving without headlights. (The reason I was pulled over is because I inadvertently hit the high beam switch and turned them off; the low beams were both out and I was a couple of hours later than planned in getting the car home.)

Maybe needless to say, but I have since viewed the hassle of getting temporary tags to be MUCH preferable to the hassle that might ensue from driving on someone else's plates!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Mine came from Indiana. I got the VIN for insurance drove down and rode it back with his tags. I was prepared to ride it back tag-less, if the seller wanted to keep his. As has been already posted, so long as you are on "the up and up" and you are just transporting, you should be ok.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Picked my bike up in PA. We had to go to a title place where they notarized the title and offered me a transport tag but we just trailered it.

If I had my gear with me I would have taken the offer. 8)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Is trailering it home not an option? I think I would rather do that instead of going through all that other rigamerole. The down side is that you don't get to ride it home.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
trailering is not an option. And I prefer to ride, if the weather is dry.

I'll check with Ohio DMV online about temp tags. I'll get insurance ahead of time, and will carry an executed title and bill of sale, but I'd like to avoid being pulled over for no plates...

- Dan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts