Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found some cheaper bullet type halogen lights on line and now I'm trying to figure out the best place to mount them. I was looking at fork mount, on the triple tree or on my highway bar.

The more I thought about it the more I think mounting them low on the bike is where I want them. I mean really low. I'm thinking the bottom bar of my highway bar. Anyone mount them down there? My only concern is that mounting them there seems to be close to the shifter and brake on either side. I was then thinking of reversing them so that the light hangs under the bar, but that would put them only 5-6 inches from the ground. Not sure that is enough clearence or not.

Anyone else mount them like this or is it a stupid place to put them?

Thanks​

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
My thought has always been the highter you mount them, the better it will be to light up the road and not blind oncoming traffic. If you mount them low (on the bottom of the crashbar) you will not only a lower profile projection of the road, you will get alot of drivers flashing their brights at you.
If the lights are mounted higher (even with the headlight) you will get the full benefit from them.
The reason I know this is because I had some small halogen driving lights (very bright) mounted low on my bike and ended up not getting much aded benefit from them. It also blinded on coming traffic (they flashed their brights at me alot) So I finally decided to go with a lightbar instead and it made all the difference in the world. Now I have one of them pointed straight ahead to light up the area where I need it and one shining over toward the shoulder of the road, which makes it alot better to see in the dark with just the low beam on. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Lights mounted on the top of the crashbars wouldn't be so bad. It would give you alot better light than mounting them on the bottom that's for sure.
I notice the Goldwings have them down low and they are blinding when you meet them on the road at night. I guess they are more of a foglight than a driving light. For fog, lights mounted down low work better to light up the roadway without bouncing back off the fog. So if that's what your aiming to do, (excuse the pun) then mounting the lights on the bottom of the crashbar will work perfect for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts