Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stock head light on the Aero sucks to the point that I have to ride with my high beams on or risk not seeing things in the road until it is too late to avoid them. Light bars are way overpriced for what you're buying, so I'm looking to add my own lighting setup. I like the placement on either side of the headlight and now see why memphis shades wind shields cause such a problem. Luckily, I think I'll actually be able to make mine work for me.

Here are the lights I've bought. Too bad I didn't get a phantom, as the black finish would fit nicely.

$12 from Northern Tool and Equipment. $5 off coupon and I'm out for $8 and change.

This is about where I'm planning for them to be.

Depending on how the brackets work out, the lights should be just about flush with the headlight, front to back. Maybe a little forward, but I'm going to keep them mounted as far back as possible without actually contacting the windshield. The box does not specify, but I'm fairly certain they have 55 watt bulbs, which I'm going to replace with something that draws a little less power. Does anyone know if there is an LED bulb that could fit into this style housing?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
We'd have to see the bulb to tell you but it would be just as easy for you to search.
Just find a number on the bulb that ends in a number that seems like watts. Then go to Ebay or someplace and search for that number but with different wattages.

I'd mount them in a triangle pattern (upside down) but that's just how I roll. Just paid for a new MS windshield and I wouldn't risk scratching it.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
Make sure you wire in a relay for the added lights.
Hey Bernie, I got those Wal-Mart driving lights you recommended (think they changed the packaging), so I'm one step closer.

-john

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I absolutely will use a relay when they get wired up. I really want to do a small aux fuse box like you set up on your wife's bike. With the radio, power port, and now the lights, it's going to be a mess under there.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'd have to see the bulb to tell you but it would be just as easy for you to search.
Just find a number on the bulb that ends in a number that seems like watts. Then go to Ebay or someplace and search for that number but with different wattages.

I'd mount them in a triangle pattern (upside down) but that's just how I roll. Just paid for a new MS windshield and I wouldn't risk scratching it.
I considered the triangle mounting but decided against it. I read about the association of the triangle with danger but, these lights are more for me to see rather than to be seen. Plus, I really like the either side of the headlight look, like on my previous shadow:

I'm definitely concerned about scratching the windshield so, once everything is in place, I'll put a small square of foam tape on the back of the light housing. This way I won't have to worry about it scratching the shield if the lights get tilted back.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The relay or a Gonzo Wiring Harness is the way to go, also you can put in a Silverstar 55/60 bulb in your headlight which will also help you see at nite and you can adjust your headlight up
Motorcycle Headlight Aiming
55w on the auxilary lights draws a lot, I have that on mine and I'm going to drop down to 25, my little guage goes bannas when idling, probably pushing limits, but I've used them for a couple of years along with my electric gear (using smart management) and no problems so far..................

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I absolutely will use a relay when they get wired up. I really want to do a small aux fuse box like you set up on your wife's bike. With the radio, power port, and now the lights, it's going to be a mess under there.
Nope, just take your time and make everything nice and neat like I did. You'll be fine. Another idea for mounting the lights, get some P-clamps from Kuryakyn. Then mount them to the rubber pieces on your t/s stalk. That's what I did w/ my Sabre. Worked out great.

I'll most likely do the same thing on my wife's Aero.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have my relays mounted in the right hand side cover where the tool kit goes on the 98T. The relays fit nicely and there is room for the wiring to run up under the seat and branch off where it needs to go. There is also a fuse box in the same location.
Once its is all in place it really isnt that much of a mess.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Nope, just take your time and make everything nice and neat like I did. You'll be fine. Another idea for mounting the lights, get some P-clamps from Kuryakyn. Then mount them to the rubber pieces on your t/s stalk. That's what I did w/ my Sabre. Worked out great.

I'll most likely do the same thing on my wife's Aero.
Big B, What lights are those? I like the size. Are they bright enough? I want to add more lights to the front of my ride, but I don't think the big ones will look right...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Big B, What lights are those? I like the size. Are they bright enough? I want to add more lights to the front of my ride, but I don't think the big ones will look right...
I have those same lights. I got them off the google machine but then saw them at Walmart for 20 bones in the car section. Same packaging and all. I don't go to Walmart much anymore since they opened a Target next to me :( Darnit

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I have those same lights. I got them off the google machine but then saw them at Walmart for 20 bones in the car section. Same packaging and all. I don't go to Walmart much anymore since they opened a Target next to me :( Darnit
Yup, and they are very bright. A lot of ppl use them. Plus they are small and unobtrusive. I ran them on my low beam circuit. No switch and placed the relay in the h/l bucket and used the low beam circuit as the trigger for the relay so the lights would go out when starting the bike like the h/l does.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yup, and they are very bright. A lot of ppl use them. Plus they are small and unobtrusive. I ran them on my low beam circuit. No switch and placed the relay in the h/l bucket and used the low beam circuit as the trigger for the relay so the lights would go out when starting the bike like the h/l does.
Man I need to get better and wiring :( I just sent mine to a switch and I only use em at night.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Man I need to get better and wiring :( I just sent mine to a switch and I only use em at night.
You may not have an issue since you've wired it on it's own circuit so to speak. Just gotta make sure your switch is heavy enough it won't burn up. I didn't want an extra switch which is why I wired the way I did. IMO though, wiring a relay in for something drawing the type of amps/current the lights do, it's good insurance against failure.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Did you run them off of their own power directly from the battery then use the low beam wire as a trigger?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Just as a matter of note.

Watts / input voltage = Amperage Draw.
In this case
55 / 12 = 4.58 Amps
X2 lights = 9.16 amps

In practice I have found that the actual draw in practice is lower by about 2 amps.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like the idea of running the trigger for the relay off the headlight and not having an extra switch. Any one think of any negatives to this method?

I got the lights mounted today so I'll be wiring them up sometime soon.

Here's a close up of the brackets. I like the idea of the clamps around the turn signal stalk except that those are about $20 apiece. These were made with stuff i had laying around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.