Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of Optronics 50w mini driving lights for my '02 SS 750. I mounted the lights on the lower bolts of my windshield. My original intention is to run the wires (pos and neg) directly to the battery with an in-line off/on switch and in-line fuse.

Questions...
Do I need to use a relay when running directly to the battery?
What if I run the driving lights off of the headlight, do I need to use a relay then?
If I hook up a cig/Lighter accessory directly to the battery with an in-line fuse do I need to use a relay?

I already have a Stebel air horn wired directly to the battery with an in-line fuse and a relay. I want to add the driving lights and accessory recepticle... my intention is that everything is wired directly to the battery (pos and neg). Are these three add ons too much for the battery? The horn obviously draws only when used as well as the accessory recepticle which when used will likely be charging a cell phone and that will be extremely rare, the driving lights will be on most of the time.

Thanks for the help
Ron

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If you use a switch to turn the lights on/off you can run it straight off the battery as long as the switch can handle the amps put out by the lights. It will need to be at least 10 amps for the two 50W lights. I would go for a 15-20 amp switch though because you will want to fuse the circuit at 10 amps (the current draw of the lights is a little over 8amps...but you aren't going to find a blade type fuse rated at that odd size).

If you hook the driving lights to the existing headlight/driving light circuit, you will really want to put in a relay. The reason for this is that the starter button isn't rated for the additional 10 amp load. You will burn up your starter button before long.

You would not need to put a relay in if you put in a accessory plug in unless you want to disable the plug when the bike is off. Then you just need to find a circuit that switches off with the key (won't be hard) to wire the relay into.

You should be fine with the added items. The horn is a momentary load on the system. The accessory plug is usually a low amp draw item. So, the big draw will be the lights.

Hope this info helps.

Joe

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If you are using a switch then definitely use a relay. This because most of the switches you will find at the automotive stores are crap. Running 9 amps through them will eventually do damage to the contacts due to arcing and sometimes overheating. Best thing to do is run the switch to a relay where the switch only carries the load of tripping the relay, some 250 milliamps if memory serves. The relay does all the load bearing it was designed for.

Also, the wire you run to the switch should be the ground wire for the relay. You can jumper the relays Hot input to the trigger input and then switch the ground to enable/disable the relay. If the wire to your switch ever gets shorted out, worst case is the lights come on.

For some other alternatives, I have a few designs of my own I have been making for members here for about 5 years. These are displayed on my website here:

www.gonzos-garage.com/bike.harness.htm

Good luck and do it right the first time (which of course is why you posted this question and I applaud you for that). ;-)

Gonz

·
Registered
534 Posts
Gonzo said:
If you are using a switch then definitely use a relay. This because most of the switches you will find at the automotive stores are crap. Running 9 amps through them will eventually do damage to the contacts due to arcing and sometimes overheating. Best thing to do is run the switch to a relay where the switch only carries the load of tripping the relay, some 250 milliamps if memory serves. The relay does all the load bearing it was designed for.

Also, the wire you run to the switch should be the ground wire for the relay. You can jumper the relays Hot input to the trigger input and then switch the ground to enable/disable the relay. If the wire to your switch ever gets shorted out, worst case is the lights come on.

For some other alternatives, I have a few designs of my own I have been making for members here for about 5 years. These are displayed on my website here:

www.gonzos-garage.com/bike.harness.htm

Good luck and do it right the first time (which of course is why you posted this question and I applaud you for that). ;-)

Gonz
I added a lightbar I got for Christmas and bought the Gonzo wireing harness...no more worries. It's worth it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, as always.... you guys are awesome!

Ron

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Guys.
I am also installing a lightbar this weekend.
I live in the u.k. and intenend to run a live wire direct from the battery through an in line fuse, then to a relay and then on to the dip beam wire in the headlight so the lights come on with the lights.
Do you think think this is the correct way to go as living in the u.k. i can't really get GONZOS loom.
Also does anyone know what coloured wire in the headlight is the dipped beam wire on a 2005 shadow aero.
p.s. Gonzo your shadow must be one of the most awesome custom bikes i have seen in years.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks man!

The headlight low beam (if thats the dip you are referring to) is the white wire (here in the states anyways). The Blue wire is the high beam.

Gonz

·
Registered
76 Posts
light bar

Gonzo:
I ve got a question abou tyour harness. Is the harness set up so that I can install a light bar and when my low beams are on....the other lights are off and when i have my high beams on they all come on?? or visa-versa? And will the harness take away the addition of a on/off switch to controll the light bar??

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I can wire it to run on hi or lo and when you crank the engine they all go out to divert the power to starting the bike.

I can also make them work on hi and lo but you will need to use a switch to turn off the lights.

I like having them on the lo beams and turn out with the headlight.

Gonz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gonzo said:
Thanks man!

The headlight low beam (if thats the dip you are referring to) is the white wire (here in the states anyways). The Blue wire is the high beam.

Gonz
Thanks for the info Gonzo i have a blue green and a white wire running the headlight.
That info is a big help i know now to simply wire the relay to the white wire.
CHEERS!

·
Registered
111 Posts
GONZO: I'm looking to get 2 , one for my 04 Aero 750 and my wifes 02 VLX 600. I'm looking at the NEW model wiring harness for each bike. Each bike has an MC lightbar with Cobra lamps . I have no switches for the lights. Does the lightbar turn on/off with the high beam switch on the handlebar?

BTW: your email address on your website keeps bouncing messages!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
If you want to have the lights on with both the high and low beams, you
simply need to add a couple of diodes.

Add one diode, feed side to high beams.
Add one diode, feed side to low beams.

Twist output side of the two diodes together.

Attach the wire coming from the relay that energizes the coil to
the output of the twisted ends of the diode.

When low beams are on, the diode on the high side will prevent back
feed and when on high beam, the other diode will prevent back feed
to the low side. Both with energize the relay coil and allow current to
pass to the sidelights, no matter which beam you have on.

If you want to put a switch on it, put either a switch on the ground
side of the relay or on the power wire coming from the diodes/bulbs
that energizes the coil.

I have mine wired this way. Just make sure you get a diode big
enough to handle the current draw of whatever size lights you
are using.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm no electrical guru, I have a hard time changing light bulbs! I'm going to get the Gonzo wiring harness makes is much simpler. I believe he has a setup to use the lightbar with the high beam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts