Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, dropped the bike yesterday in my garage of all places. I was turning it around to leave, bike was not even running, and quickly made the motion of putting the stand down and started to get off and noticed the stand wasn't down and could not stop the bike. I quickly jumped off the bike while holding the bars and kept the bike from totally making contact with the floor. I am thanking my lucky stars that there was no major damage to the bike, the rear turn signal was bent a tiny bit but not really noticeable. I sure will be taking my time doing that again...

· Registered
7,345 Posts
There should be some kind of badge that is awarded to motorcyclists who drop their bike in the garage. It is sort of a right of passage into the motorcycle world. It's even better when you can bang your head against the garage wall. (Don't ask how I know this) :lol: The good part of it is, you prove to yourself that you can pick up your bike by yourself.

· Registered
144 Posts
Ditto

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. I was moving the bike and jumped off without putting the stand down "at all". The bike stated going over real quick. It was amazing how fast your adrenaline kicks in when you see your baby start to go down. I never let it hit the ground and now I am more deliberate about ensuring the stand is out and double pressing it to make sure it is fully seated. Welcome to the "big dummy" group. Thats what I call it anyway. :D

· Registered
15 Posts
I almost dropped my fiance's fathers HD Electra glide Classic in front of my apartments. kick stand was about half way down. you learn real quick how heavy something is. motor was still running and i was even in 1st gear. the bike started falling to the left so needless to say i was full throttle real quick and about to take off if i would have let loose of the clutch any. I held the bike inches away from the ground and got it back up. i was extremly lucky. i think you might have killed me over that one.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a very steep driveway and pulled the same maneuver last fall. I was turning it around and it started to tip because of the incline. It rolled slightly though and the handlebars hit my lawn instead of pavement. Then I pulled my back trying to pick it up from the downhill side :)

· Registered
2,042 Posts
radski said:
Yup, dropped the bike yesterday in my garage of all places. I was turning it around to leave, bike was not even running, and quickly made the motion of putting the stand down and started to get off and noticed the stand wasn't down and could not stop the bike. I quickly jumped off the bike while holding the bars and kept the bike from totally making contact with the floor. I am thanking my lucky stars that there was no major damage to the bike, the rear turn signal was bent a tiny bit but not really noticeable. I sure will be taking my time doing that again...
I thought I heard an "Oh S***" all the way up here in Sanford. I guess that was you...

A guy I work with drove his brand new Harley to work and was showing it off in the parking lot, and dismounted withouth putting the kickstand down. Dumped it. Nothing like embarrassing yourself in front of your co-workers.

· Registered
3,736 Posts
radski said:
Just curious, why were you turning it around? I used to turn my bike around to leave also but found it easier to back out.

My garage is on an incline and I back out and turn the handle bars straight into the alley and let gravity do all the work.

· Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I was heard in Pensacola as well as Sanford..

I was turning around because my garage is packed full of sh*t right now because we sold our house and in the process of putting the stuff in storage while our new house is being built. The bike was blocked in..

· Registered
628 Posts
drop

Paulie said:

It is sort of a right of passage into the motorcycle world.

I joined the club last Thursday. I have been fearful of dropping my bike since I started riding last year. Dropped her, not once, but twice in ten minutes. :oops: The only thing hurt was my ego. But both drops taught me how to pick the bike up. :lol:

Jim

· Registered
87 Posts
It could be worse...last summer I leaned over to pick up my glove...I leaned too far...the bike went over and hit hubbys Corvette. Now there's a discussion you don't want to have. I did manage to get it off the car by myself. But you'd be amazed at how much damage a handlebar can do and how quickly.

· Registered
1,657 Posts
Me Too...

I had this embarrassing experience only once...with the heavy Sabre too. I was just walking it while on my driveway into too close of a turn with a lean on it at the same time. Now, my thighs are not small due to my constant riding of a vintage 1972 P-15 roadbike, and let me tell you one leg power doesn't stop a Sabre beyond a certain tilt point! It just kind of laid there right on my right aluminum peg and then had to listen to all of what I had to say.

· Registered
132 Posts
Yuk. I use the kill switch on the kickstand to turn off the engine, so I don't see that happening to me, but I have heard plenty others doing the same thing. Good thing no one was hurt!

· Registered
241 Posts
well, if it goes down, you want to be sure it's in gear. If it's in neutral, it's a bear to get up. Don't ask me how i know.

My standard practice now is to shut off the bike by putting the sidestand down, and THEN turning the key off. Works every time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.