Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow riders,

I am thinking about dropping my kid to school on my Motorcycle. She's 11, and the distance to school is about 2 miles residential street.

I will be buying helmet and jacket for her, any recommendations?

Your advice is highly appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have ridden with my 8 year old behind me, for short distances, on the smaller bike. Both kids regularly ride behind my guy on his VTX1300.

Boots and gloves are also good to have and just tell them to hug you tight. I tell the 8-year-old to make herself into a backpack for me and that seems to get the idea across. I work hard to avoid any bumps or cracks that I might otherwise go over and shift very smoothly and I check in with her at stoplights.

On the VTX1300, I feel more comfortable with them riding because there is more of a seat and floorboards as well as a sissy bar and driver's backrest they can hold onto. On my Shadow, I'd want to add a sissy bar if I carried one of them and I'd worry about warning them about putting their boot down on the pipes.

Oh, and also go over getting on and off the bike properly and I like to give them a signal to give us if they need anything. For us, it's tapping us on the left shoulder. We know to check in or pull over if they do that.

And...with all this, we still only do short rides with no highways, but they do love to ride. :)

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
The kids may love it, but my grandson's (he's 11 too) school forbids it. Might want to call the school first.

·
Registered
16,422 Posts
Just for kicks & grins, I`d check local & state laws governing this action...

I say this because ABATE of Georgia fought to have the law changed, requiring 16 years of age to ride a motorcycle as a passenger or operator...
Thank You ABATE, I am allowed to ride with my 8 years old niece or nephew on the motorcycle now...
Law requires footrests, and the child must be able to reach these footrests comfortably...

Legislators pass laws that we don`t agree with sometimes...
ABATE to the rescue!...
Lets ride safe today,
D

·
Registered
86 Posts
been thinking about the same thing! my kid is only 6 though, but sometimes he gets a short ride in the back (helmet and all). his school is 1 mile away, all local residential roads. and yea he LOVES riding with me! in FL the only requirement is that passenger be wearing a helmet. no age limit i think : State-by-state motorcycle laws

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I have ridden with my 8 year old behind me, for short distances, on the smaller bike. Both kids regularly ride behind my guy on his VTX1300.

Boots and gloves are also good to have and just tell them to hug you tight. I tell the 8-year-old to make herself into a backpack for me and that seems to get the idea across. I work hard to avoid any bumps or cracks that I might otherwise go over and shift very smoothly and I check in with her at stoplights.

On the VTX1300, I feel more comfortable with them riding because there is more of a seat and floorboards as well as a sissy bar and driver's backrest they can hold onto. On my Shadow, I'd want to add a sissy bar if I carried one of them and I'd worry about warning them about putting their boot down on the pipes.

Oh, and also go over getting on and off the bike properly and I like to give them a signal to give us if they need anything. For us, it's tapping us on the left shoulder. We know to check in or pull over if they do that.

And...with all this, we still only do short rides with no highways, but they do love to ride. :)
^^^^^+1. Just be safe, and I would also check with the School first. No sense in getting a bunch of School Admins PO'd on your kids first few days at school. Wait...are you looking for helmet and jacket recommendations? :)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I cannot believe for one second that any soccer mom would approve.

You better bring some battle gear and make sure the kid has a lot of friends in another school district.

Motorcycles are viewed as evil at schools.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Starting in Middle school, I took my daughter to school, basketball practice or any trip where there was just two of us on the bike. Last year we took a ride from Mexico to Canada, camping as we went. It was a great bonding experience, but there was never a time that I didn't worry about her safety. My desire to share with my daughter that feeling of the open highway was always greater than my fear. After all these years I'm still not sure it was the right thing to do and I'm very thankful nothing happened with her on the back.

·
Registered
320 Posts

You better bring some battle gear and make sure the kid has a lot of friends in another school district.

Another reason I love living up here. My kids' teachers high five'd them and thought it was the coolest thing ever. :)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
My only thought is what to do with the helmet? Too big for saddlebag and I won't leave it with my kid un case it gets stolen, damaged (whether in my site or not) or she just loses it (she'd lose her head if ot weren't attached).

Dingo.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
When my grandson started the 2nd grade, I would take him about five or six miles to school on the back of the bike. He was the hero of the entire grade school! Even the teachers thought it was GREAT! He loved it! :D

·
Registered
145 Posts

That wasn't our experience. I took my son two-up to school for over a year. He got cool points from friends and at least two of his teachers are riders. He now has his own GS500 and is the only senior who parks a bike in the senior lot.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,254 Posts
The kids may love it, but my grandson's (he's 11 too) school forbids it. Might want to call the school first.
Really?? I could drop mine off on a unicycle at our school. Not that I know how to ride one, but I have never heard of a rule like that.

·
Registered
9,254 Posts
I will take my 10 and 11 year olds on rides every once in a while, but honestly I'm not sure I could live with the guilt if something happened.

·
Registered
16,422 Posts
Hearsay>>
Have you ever gone to a burger joint drive through on a bike and got turned away because "we don`t serve motorcycles in the drive through"???
I`ve not tried it...

MORE Hearsay!!!!

I heard >>>
That one of the schools here raised cane on accountta a student in elementary grade riding to school on the bike with his Dad...
Another point made by motorcyclists in action got the OK...

Stand your ground,
D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts