Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 Shadow Ace 1100. Recommended front tire size is 130 / 70 r18. I live on a dirt road and many of the roads on this mountain are gravel roads. My driveway is a terrifying obstacle in and of itself 100 yd long and rutted and steep. My front tire is now bald and I would like to find a tire with some decent tread on it. All of my previous riding experience has been in the dual-sport world. I want a more aggressive Tire on the front not looking for a 50/50 Tire or anything like that. Just something with a little bit of space between the tread. The bike currently has tubeless tires. I was wondering if putting a tube on the front would be possible? Otherwise I would have to try to find a tubeless tire then? Or will any Tire work on a tubeless rim? I found a tire that is 130 / 80 tl18. I believe the T L is for tubeless? Do you think the 130 would be too narrow for the front? Thanks in advance for any insight or advice.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
It's actually a 130/80R18 recommended. A 130/90-18 fixes the speedo error. 130/70 throws it off even more.

I'm running a Bridgestone Battlax BT45V 130/80R18 sport touring rear tire on the front of my T. been great for 16K miles now and just starting to show wear to where I'm going to replace it. I hear they've been replaced by the BT46 now.

Bridgestone Battlax BT46 Rear Tire | ChapMoto.com ,

front/ rear tread patterns are real close to the same, rear has deeper tread. has handled great.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,133 Posts
When using rear tires on front, most Valk folk reverse the rotation but they are pavement tires but in this application, can't say. Biggest issue now is availability.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
The theory I heard on reversing them was to compensate for the front braking forces on the tire as it would normally be subject to the acceleration forces. Pretty sure we don't have to worry about that as I can't see using Shadow and excessive braking or acceleration force in the same sentence (except for here)

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
RelicMan, balance beads are my preferred of method balance regardless the tire applications but I can see using "adventure" style tires for the front in your given situation.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
So, do I understand right @RelicMan ?
You`re wanting more "Groove" than rubber???
I`d look at tires tread pattern on the websites...

Then go with one I like,
Dennis

BUT I`m NOT familiar with Dual Sport patterns???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is my new front tire it's on the way. Ended up finding it on Amazon for $89 with free delivery. I usually run Kenda 270s on my dual sport but that would be way too aggressive for the shadow LOL I'm willing to bet this looks aggressive to you guys but I am forced to do a lot of gravel roads and I would like to do more
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Font

·
Registered
92 Posts
Interesting. I like the mad max look personally... Don't have a clue about function though, sorry. We ride a good bit of dirt / gravel roads around here during dry conditions only. Have regular street tires on ours (Shinko) and they seem to do okay. Just a little squirrelly....somedays i wish we had an old XR650 instead lol

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Here is my new front tire it's on the way. Ended up finding it on Amazon for $89 with free delivery. I usually run Kenda 270s on my dual sport but that would be way too aggressive for the shadow LOL I'm willing to bet this looks aggressive to you guys but I am forced to do a lot of gravel roads and I would like to do more
View attachment 302223
What dual sport do you ride? I have friends that have nothing but good to say about those Shinko's. Be interested to hear how they turn out for you with your application. Inquiring minds and all.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
19,724 Posts
I LOVE IT ! ! !

I ran "Trials Universal Tires" on my Yamaha DT250, I LOVED `EM...
This is what the looks remind me of,
Dennis

Let us know on performance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What dual sport do you ride? I have friends that have nothing but good to say about those Shinko's. Be interested to hear how they turn out for you with your application. Inquiring minds and all.
I still have my KLR650 it's a 2008 but unfortunately I have to trade it for a new roof on my house. I'm not sure which one of us is getting the better deal my roofer or me.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Late to this discussion.
Built an Ascot for dirt roads, tank was rusted out, so I installed a Shadow tank and re-named it the Shascot.
Front and rear tires are the same size, and I ran the front mounted both forward/reverse and it washed-out the same either way, so I just learned to slow down. :(
Here's a pic, size and brand are of no consequence now, as OP has bought something already.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
92 Posts
Built an Ascot for dirt roads, tank was rusted out, so I installed a Shadow tank and re-named it the Shascot.
Nice "Shascott". Good build for gravel/dirt for sure right there.....

I still have my KLR650 it's a 2008 but unfortunately I have to trade it for a new roof on my house. I'm not sure which one of us is getting the better deal my roofer or me.
Dang. Your roofer is gonna have some fun with that.

Man, all this talk and pictures has me looking for a dual sport now

Hope those tires work well OP

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Nice "Shascott". Good build for gravel/dirt for sure right there.....

Dang. Your roofer is gonna have some fun with that.

Man, all this talk and pictures has me looking for a dual sport now

Hope those tires work well OP
Better look out around ADV and dual sport bikes. Once you ride it's often hard to go back to something else.

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
Rode a 73' XL250 for 8 yrs. and many a fond memories riding anywhere I wanted to go or explore and yes it becoming a thought of late as I'm finding myself not enjoying riding the "fat gurl" as much anymore.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
We all know tbhere is no such thing as a perfect bike right out of the box. I've never had any real issues with the seats on any cruiser though I've seen many on here express their dislike of stock Shadow seats. With that said, I've never sat on a stock ADV or dual sport seat that I didn't feel needed a lot of work. Once you can get one of those seats to fit your butt just right, you'll find the upright seating position is much better on the back.

Reactions: nyan
1 - 19 of 19 Posts