Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been thinking about putting dual sport tires on my 07 VT750DC on account of I live on a long gravel road, but can't find what I want for the rear tire (160/80-15). Does anyone know of a dual sport tire with semi aggressive tread that will fit? Or, plan B, is there a 17" rim that would fit on the back?

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
193 Posts
I was looking for the same thing. Even chatted with a rep from SHINKO about making me a Shinko 705 in a 15 inch but for some reason he just wasn't budging on that. The best info I got was putting a 17 inch Harley rear swap on there. Good Luck with your search and I will be watching for your end results. :)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You're not going to find a dual sport tire in that size. In reality, I don't think you need to worry about a lugged tread on the rear for going down a dirt or gravel road. It's up front where you want the lugs. Unless you are really digging in sand, a quality street tire on the rear will do you just fine.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
I don't know if 16 inch opens up any opportunities, but the Shadow VT750 RS has one of those and I'm guessing it would bolt up.
I agree with squidchief the front tire is the critical thing, you can work the back, but the front washing out is miserable.
I quite often end up on gravel roads with Shinko 777's and it is not optimal, but once you get your head around how it skates it is OK.
The big draw back to the 750 in rougher stuff is the lack of ground clearance and the Shinko tires don't do real well in mud, soft sand or on snow, on smoothish packed dirt or gravel it can be almost fun. (-:

The devil on my shoulder wants another bike something like a Suzuki DL650X, but for 99% of my riding the ACE can get it done as it is so so far the angel on the other shoulder has been telling the devil to F.O..

·
Registered
17,057 Posts
Go to the dark side with Mudders.
Yeah!!!!

I`m running a Pirelli Route MT66 on front and a highway tread car tire presently...
BUT I`ve NOT had any problem with Pirelli MT MC tires with the off road riding I do...
Yes, it`s a 1/4 miles to the pavement from the polebarn where I park her,
Dennis

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great to hear from you again Captain D, may I ask which tire you're running on the rear? I'm 4 miles from the pavement one direction and about 6 miles the other way.

Yeah!!!!

I`m running a Pirelli Route MT66 on front and a highway tread car tire presently...
BUT I`ve NOT had any problem with Pirelli MT MC tires with the off road riding I do...
Yes, it`s a 1/4 miles to the pavement from the polebarn where I park her,
Dennis

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,940 Posts
And running a Valkyrie @ 800 lbs. two up in gravel is a definite extreme though me by myself not bad as it does have ground clearance and big fat tires on both ends. How I end up on gravel you ask, exploring roads in areas I've never been before on a whim and yes I'm aware of Google Maps satellite imaging.

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
193 Posts
So I've been thinking about putting dual sport tires on my 07 VT750DC on account of I live on a long gravel road, but can't find what I want for the rear tire (160/80-15). Does anyone know of a dual sport tire with semi aggressive tread that will fit? Or, plan B, is there a 17" rim that would fit on the back?
Any update on the tire of choice for your bike or maybe the rim swap ?

·
Registered
17,057 Posts
Great to hear from you again Captain D, may I ask which tire you're running on the rear? I'm 4 miles from the pavement one direction and about 6 miles the other way.
I couldda sworn I replied to this question with > There`s no name on the tire other than All Season written on it, it be a cheap tire from the tire store & 165/80-15 is the size...
I`m going back to the MC tire when it`s time to replace...
I figure early 2021 from the looks of tread on it now, I`ll replace as a set, Pirelli MT Route 66...
Just to see what I`ve been missing <
I`m fairly sure that was my reply a month ago,
Dennis

·
Registered
17,057 Posts
I`m gonna Search 750 Cutting horse in our history...
I ran through the soy beans ;)

Talk about "Off Road" :D:D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any update on the tire of choice for your bike or maybe the rim swap ?
I'm going with either a Michelin Anakee Wild 110/80/19 for the front or a Shinko 705 or 805 which are half the price or less. Still working on the rear, I have to check into that 16" rim or go to the dark side with a 165/80/15 or thereabouts, or maybe a Pirelli MT 66 180/70/15. Plus I gotta wear out my existing tires first!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts