Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about making the rat a bit more of an all-round bike. I've got my spanky $20.00 saddlebags, and my all-purpose luggage rack (bungie net)

I've got me some 14 1/2" shocks to raise the rump a bit. Got a line on another front end. The dunlops just don't cut it on gravel roads though, pretty squirrelly.

Looking for something else for rubber. Not a true 50/50 tire, but something a bit more gravel/dirt oriented while not sacrificing a ton of street ability.

anyone got any suggestions?

(yes, I know a CB750 is hardly an off-road bike... but it's not like I plan on taking it into the bush.)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I don't know what to say, my new DR650enduro couldn't even stay in a straight line on gravel or sand, it didn't handle well at all. I was looking for better tires to help it handle off road short of knobbys, but ended up selling it first. Everyone I spoke to said I should of bought the DR400 instead. I can't remember what tires were on my DR, but they were factory enduro tires , and had no control off road. My brother was building a house off the main highway, and I almost lost it several times going to see how they were doing on the house. You could drive a car down the road fine though.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Check and see what BMW uses for their "Enduros".

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What size wheel? Most dual sport bikes have 21 inch front wheels.
If you are serious about using dual sport tires on a CB750, you may want to use a rear tire on the front. 17 and 18 are common sizes for rear dual sports. If your 750 has a 19 front, you may have a harder time finding a tire.

For gravel roads, you don’t need a dual sport tire on the rear; just let the rear dance around. All you gotta do is keep the front end going straight.
In Alaska and BC, we rode at least 500 miles of non-paved roads. My KLR had a dual sport on the front and a Dunlop 491 touring bike tire on the rear.

Kenda 270s are popular and affordable.
http://ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=2129635

Gripsters are popular also.
http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling/r100gs/gripster/index.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any advice ? I also wanna put dual sports on my 85 Shadow vt500c. It currently has a 16 inch rear wheel but I cant find tires for that. The dual sports start at 17 inches. Any ideas of I can make it fit and what's compatible? Could I use a 17 inch rim from any other shaft driven bike? Where can I find one? New rider here, sorry for the list of questions. And thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Most of my off-road around here is very hard track so I use the Pirelli Scorpion XC's on the rear and the MT 90AT on the front. The Dunlop D606's are quite good too. A bit more street oriented than the Pirelli's I think. Both have given me excellent life and great control off road. I actually use the Pirelli's on my true dirt bikes as well.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Check out this dudes series of youtube vids where he did basically the same thing as you are planning:
You will definitely need to get an entire front end assembly from a heavy off-road or dual sport bike to make it handle, but your idea is quite doable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think I found a tire that might work on the 16. It's a 140/90/16 rather than 130/90/16 I think it'll be fine and also means no swapping out the rear rim. Thanks for the reply

1 - 9 of 9 Posts