Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way home from the store and was in the right lane and a dually was in the left lane with left turn signal on I got about even with his rear bumper and he swearved into my lain! , Man! I am glad I was looking I hit my breaks and horn and he swerved back! ,sh!t I am still shaking! :shock:

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Never trust 'em man!! NEVER!!!!! I had one the other day, right turn signal on, slows down, acting like he's going to pull in a drive on the right on a state highway. I start to go around on the left (See rule above, I violated it) and this a-hole turns LEFT!! I locked up front and back, stood up on the pegs and rode it out until I was able to swerve him on the right. NEVER EVER TRUST 'EM!!!!!!!! Drink a beer!!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm not defending the driver by any means but it sounds like you were in his blind spot. As a rider, I believe it to be my responsibility to stay out of someone's blind spot.

Glad you are OK.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Seems like most cagers think they are driving a semi-truck - from dually's to Prius they tend to swing wide to make a right or left turn like they are dragging 50ft of trailer behind them - - something to be very cognizant of as you pass any turning vehicle on a multi-lane road. On a bike or in a car.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never trust 'em man!! NEVER!!!!! I had one the other day, right turn signal on, slows down, acting like he's going to pull in a drive on the right on a state highway. I start to go around on the left (See rule above, I violated it) and this a-hole turns LEFT!! I locked up front and back, stood up on the pegs and rode it out until I was able to swerve him on the right. NEVER EVER TRUST 'EM!!!!!!!! Drink a beer!!!!
on my second one, feeling little better, thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I know when I am driving my truck that the one thing that aggravates me is vehicles who hang in a blind spot. I like to be aware of other vehicles around me so I know what evasive actions I can take if something unexpected happens.
When I am riding the bike, I especially try make sure that I can see the driver in his mirror as I get closer to a truck or other vehicle. If I can see the driver, then the driver should (operative word) be able to see me if he is monitoring his mirrors. I still try to be prepared for the unexpected even with a modulating headlight and bright yellow jacket.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
glad your okay bud.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I know when I am driving my truck that the one thing that aggravates me is vehicles who hang in a blind spot. I like to be aware of other vehicles around me so I know what evasive actions I can take if something unexpected happens.
When I am riding the bike, I especially try make sure that I can see the driver in his mirror as I get closer to a truck or other vehicle. If I can see the driver, then the driver should (operative word) be able to see me if he is monitoring his mirrors. I still try to be prepared for the unexpected even with a modulating headlight and bright yellow jacket.
Know what you mean, my truck has blind spots all over.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Know what you mean, my truck has blind spots all over.
Very true. Different vehicles have different blind spots. I can see so much more of the surroundings in my son's single cab pickup than I can my extended cab.

There is no substitution for staying alert and defensive, just as ksdad2two did.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm not defending the driver by any means but it sounds like you were in his blind spot. As a rider, I believe it to be my responsibility to stay out of someone's blind spot.

Glad you are OK.
yeah glad the OP was OK. but I agree with this statement. i try to anticipate what the vehicles around me are going to do. it's not always possible and i have no ESP, but you can often tell in advance.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I'm sorry you got scared. But as riders and drivers we all need to be aware of the limitation on visability of the other drivers on the road, and always try to stay visable. Me, I drive by whatching mirrors, Mine and the vehicles in front of me. I know that if I can't see the driver in his side mirror or the mirror itself, there is no way they can see me. Same with rear view mirror, but with all the tinting, you usually can't see into cars.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i always ride with the thought that everyone else on the road is a complete and total idiot. Except those on other bikes......Unless they are riding crotch rockets.

Wasn't till i got my first motorcycle that i realized just how much cars don't see you. After that i always noticed motorcycles and tried to be conscious of what they are doing. Maybe that's the cure, make EVERYONE ride a bike for the summer.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
i always ride with the thought that everyone else on the road is a complete and total idiot. Except those on other bikes......Unless they are riding crotch rockets.
i wouldn't assume this at all. there are plenty rock solid crotch rocket riders out there. trust me, there are idiot riders out there on every type of bike.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
i wouldn't assume this at all. there are plenty rock solid crotch rocket riders out there. trust me, there are idiot riders out there on every type of bike.

Yep. I actually find other cruiser riders to be the worst bikers. Rocket rider are just more anoying. As much as I hate the Gov being involved in my life. I wish an IQ test was part of licensing.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I was on my way home from the store and was in the right lane and a dually was in the left lane with left turn signal on I got about even with his rear bumper and he swearved into my lain! , Man! I am glad I was looking I hit my breaks and horn and he swerved back! ,sh!t I am still shaking! :shock:
:shock: Precisely why I wear "Depends" when riding. :lol::lol::shock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.