Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has the original rubber grips on it, and I want to switch them to Kuryakyn ISO grips.

What is the easy-est way?
(I'm concerned about the throttle side...)

Anyone have any foto's showing what the throttle side, minus grips, looks like?

Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here are step by step install instructions for the Iso grips:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:JaxUisdjRcIJ:www.kuryakyn.com/documents/installation/6241-22MC-1005.pdf+installation+kuryakyn+iso+grips&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=17&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Its not at all hard to install but you do have to be careful with the glue they supply. This glue does what it says, when its applied, its sticks permanently as soon as you stop moving the grip.

I would suggest getting the universal grips for 1" bars. NO need to remove your existing throttle sleeve with these, they just slide over your sleeve. Much easier than trying to replace the sleeve plus they are about 1" longer than the stock grips, so if you have larger hands, they are more comfortable. Sorry I couldn't find a pic of the sleeve......

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
AceRider said:
I would suggest getting the universal grips for 1" bars.
I think the old 1100's had 7/8" bars. I know all the 700/750/800's from the 80's did - so you might want to double check before you buy. Kury does make 7/8 grips.

The whole process is pretty easy. You can just carefully cut and remove the old grips with a razor knife. On the clutch side, the grip just slides onto bar. On the throttle side, around the bar there is a plastic sleeve under the grip. The sleeve goes into your switch housing where it is connected to your two throttle cables. You could probably just cut off the old grip (carefully so you don't cut the plastic) and slide the new one onto the sleeve. I opened up my switch housing and removed the throttle sleeve, but I wouldn't think you would have to do that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the 7/8" grips (local Honda stealer verified), and thought I'd replace them sense I'm installing my new Break-Away Cruse Control.

The directions supplied are a little vague.....

Thanks for the responce's!

·
Registered
498 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, Thanks guys!!

I'll check out the videos when I get home from work tonight.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
what about the bar weight on the left end? does it stay in or get removed?

1100 ace has 1" bars (i'm changing both my grips and bars...)

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you ever plan to take them off.........

DON"T USE THE GLUE!
Here is a tip that a friend gave me and it worked great!
Use hair spray to install them. They will slide right on and then set-up and stay in place. The hair spray will turn lose with a little help if you ever replace them.

Rick

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
both ends of your stock bars have a weight. Your new bars won't have any. Kury claims that the vibration dampening effect of the iso grips is more than enough to compensate for the loss of the weights.

I don't have weights in my bars and all is well. I don't even have kury grips (i've got highway hawks)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: If you ever plan to take them off.........

West Tn Dawg said:
DON"T USE THE GLUE!
Here is a tip that a friend gave me and it worked great!
Use hair spray to install them. They will slide right on and then set-up and stay in place. The hair spray will turn lose with a little help if you ever replace them.

Rick
I used hairspray for foam and rubber grips but I really don't think it would work well for the Kury's. I've installed two sets so far and the glue they supply works fine. I suggest you dry fit the new grips and make sure you know how you want the new grips positioned and that nothing obtructs the grips onto the bars. Then just go for it; it's not hard to do.

Peace,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts