Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I guess it had to happen sometime.......I dropped the bike.
So now I get to sit here and analyze what happened.

I stopped at a stop sign, made the right turn ( I was in a grocery store parking lot ) A car was coming towards me, just as I hit the middle of the turn he went right in front of me into a parking space.

I locked up the front brakes, the wheel was all ready turned, and the bike started going over, I layed it down as gently as I could. Oh, i only had 3 feet to react

The guy in the car didnt even look twice, just went into the store. A few cars stopped, and a guy who is a rider got out, I lifted the bike all the way up , I guess the guy could see I was frazzled, and took hold. of it

I couldn't get it started, had the kick stand down while it was in gear.
I parked it, then went into the store to rip into the guy. he said he didn't see me, I asked how at night, when I have my brights on ( A habit I have in parking lots) shining in his side window, he didnt see me.

he kept apoligizing, said he wasn't paying attention. So I calmed down and got his info.

What went right ?

I usually have my two fingers over the brakes in parking lots, so stop time is quick.
I didnt fight the bike, but let it go down as gently as I could
Before I lifted it, I took a few breaths
Before I left, I sat for 10 minutes to get my pulse rate down.

what parts were stupidity on my part.......

I made an assumption the car was coming at me, could see me, and would not turn 3 feet in front of me. Broke the first rule of motorcycling.

I was also riding with unknowns.
1) my bike was 1 hour out of its 600 mile service, so the brakes were adjusted , and actually feel like they grab quicker.
2) I was wearing brand new boots, may sound weird, but the new ones are real Harley style, not the military jungle boots I was used too, so the feel was completely different.
3) I didnt see the water in the turn.
4) maybe, I have been getting comfortable.

do I think I could have done anything different ?
No, I was only going 5 mph, I was leaving a stop sign, the fault really lies with the guy in the town car.

How much harm was done?

My right mirror is scratched up, a few nicks in the exhaust, and a slight pull in my left arm.......and of course, pride and irritation level.
most of the exhaust will buff out, the mirrors will work, but will have to be replaced. The stock ones are worth maybe $35.
The replacement ones I was ordering in a few weeks are $50 ( The eagle free spirit chrome with the gold eagle on it).

The exhaust was gonna go in a few months.

the guy in the car was very apoligetic, and kept asking if I was sure I was okay, and freely gave his info.
So I think I am going to suggest he buys me new mirrors, we shake hands, and go our seperate ways.

unfortunatley, only 2 lessons I can take away is to assume every cager wants to kill me ( seemed to have forgot that one), and lose the being ****y or comfortable and not assume others will drive like I do

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
First things first - glad to hear all you got was your nerves frayed and not something else - glad you're okay!

The only thing I could offer is riding at night is always more dangerous, considering the depth perception of other drivers may not be a sharp. He might've seen you, but thought that light was much further away than it was - like you were blended into other traffic (?). Just a thought...

It's good to see you pause and reflect. When we do that, it makes us better riders. Hope you get your bike fixed soon!

JB

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're not be ****y.....you were just being normal, but on a bike, unfortunately, you just got to keep in the front of your mind that you are "invisible". I personally give up on even trying to change the attitude and mind set of some cagers.....they just don't pay attention and only seem to "see" cars......just the way it is. Glad you were not hurt, other than pride maybe.....I know, I've been there before too.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Glad you're Ok. It happens to the best of us.
The cagers act even worse when they cut through parking lots by driving through the parking spaces and then pop out 3 feet in front of you!!! :shock:

·
Registered
204 Posts

Well, using the front brakes while in a turn would be the first thing i would say was the problem. I've learned to keep my fingers away from the front brakes when in parking lots and taking green light lefts. That sudden stop on the front brake is whats gonna knock you down while in a slow turn.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dang!
not that bad overall though,
see you in a few hours ,,,, I'm headed your way,
glad your ok .... we can streatch that right arm out too ... trick is making it so your knuckles dont drag the ground.
Glen

·
Registered
264 Posts
There are not a lot of riders who have not done a slow speed dump. Some of the learning that is gained is due to mistakes that we do not want to repeat. Your experience mimics the experience of many of us.

I wiped out twice last weekend, it was on a dirtbike however. I try my best to remain vertical on paved surfaces.

Benny

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ditto what Dupo said. That front brake is a no no in a slow turn sudden stop. But.... we all want to do that instintcivly i think!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Double-Dawg ditto on not using the front brake in slow riding and turning.

This is where cone practice can truly help as the technique we use is to lay off the front brake and use the rear brake while keeping the engine revved.

However, you still could have had the same result regardless of technique.

Also, were your wearing any reflective gear? I am a firm believer that it's just as important to light the rider as much as the bike.

I'm glad you're OK and thanks for sharing your experience as we can all learn it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hunnus2000 said:
Double-Dawg ditto on not using the front brake in slow riding and turning.

This is where cone practice can truly help as the technique we use is to lay off the front brake and use the rear brake while keeping the engine revved.

However, you still could have had the same result regardless of technique.

Also, were your wearing any reflective gear? I am a firm believer that it's just as important to light the rider as much as the bike.

I'm glad you're OK and thanks for sharing your experience as we can all learn it.

You know, I think I just did learn something.....he was so close, I mean literally 3 feet when he turned in front of me, and I was allready slow speed with the wheel turned sharp. 90 degree turn right off a stop light.

But, no, I wasnt wearing anything reflective, actually a matte black helmet, black jacket, black bike.........

when I get back today, I am going to home depot to buy a reflective vest

Thanks

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Really glad you are OK and damage was minimal. The worst accident I have ever been in, was in was due to my believing a cager was going to do what I expected they were going to do.
Believing that because they had their left turn signal on, they would turn left, so I passed on the right at the exact moment they turned right!
Ya just can't trust a cager!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Glad you're OK & the bike, for the most part, is OK.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Dupo said:

Well, using the front brakes while in a turn would be the first thing i would say was the problem. I've learned to keep my fingers away from the front brakes when in parking lots and taking green light lefts. That sudden stop on the front brake is whats gonna knock you down while in a slow turn.
^^^
Swerve OR brake...but never both, ask me how I know. ;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
What did you do wrong, or could have done differently? NOTHING as far as I'm concerned.
You reacted,,,3',,,reaction is all that there is, there's no time to think of what do I do.
If anyone thinks differently I would say they need a reality check.
Not every circumstance is presented text book style, and there for cannot offer you a text book solution.

Glad to hear that things came out the way they did. Obviously the guy didn't see you for lack of paying attention, luckily you weren't 3' closer when he decided to turn.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Glad you're OK and here's hoping that your bike will be good as new very soon.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My hat is off to you for handling the crisis as you did. Taking a rest and getting your wits back was very smart.
I know that none of us are immune to what you went through. It just hasn't happened yet to me. I hope I handle it as well as you did.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That could have been a real disaster had you been a couple of feet further ahead. Glad you're ok though. Given that small space I reckon my instincts would have kicked in too and I would have grabbed the front brake.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Man that sucks,gald your ok & the bike wasn't badly damaged :?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts