Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ol ladys used 750 Shadow only came with one key. It must be the master key as it has what looks like the key code stamped on it. One letter followed by two numbers.It does not have a chip in it. I need to have 2 extras made and it looks like the only place you can get the OEM Honda logo key blanks is the Honda dealer. Yeah i know there are other key blanks that will work but she really wanted the Honda logo keys so they wouldn't get mixed up with other keys. Question is, can they cut you the duplicate key at the Honda dealer either from the key code or the original key? Cost?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some dealers have the key cutting machine that cuts by code - others don't. Last time I bought a dealer key, uncut, was $16. I got a bunch of keys cut for the Shadow at the locksmith for $5 each.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$16 for a key blank!!?? Ouch. She just might have to make do with a key that doesn't say "HONDA". I can find some key blanks on ebay or at the hardware store. Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
FWIW I purchase my Honda keys from eBay. I simply tell the vendor the number stamped on my original Honda key and he sends me a copy. No chip but works for me - especially when the local key cutter at the hardware store, his arm is shaking like crazy from Parknison's disease.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
There aren't any knockoff keys anywhere? Usually, I don't like people who do things like that, but this is an exception, @ $16 per key, ridiculous!

·
Registered
387 Posts
There aren't any knockoff keys anywhere? Usually, I don't like people who do things like that, but this is an exception, @ $16 per key, ridiculous!
Knockoff keys are available at your local key maker. It's just that I live in a very small town with limited resources and limited mobility from the local hardware store.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i ordered 2 ILCO HD74(correct for 2008 Shadow Spirit) key blanks off Ebay for $6.99 in case the Home Depot store doesn't have the blanks. They are supposed to cut keys. $16 for a blank key? I'm not really hurting for money or anything but i ain't stupid.

·
Registered
387 Posts
i ordered 2 ILCO HD74(correct for 2008 Shadow Spirit) key blanks off Ebay for $6.99 in case the Home Depot store doesn't have the blanks. They are supposed to cut keys. $16 for a blank key? I'm not really hurting for money or anything but i ain't stupid.
Thanks. I never thought to order a key blank and so I'm off to ebay! 8))

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it turns out ILCO HD 74 is not correct for Honda Shadow Spirit. Oh well. Now i don't know what to believe lookiing at key charts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts