Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have experience with this unit, is it a worthwhile addition? I have recently changed to Cobra Classics, K&N, the Bean stock air box mod and rejetted. Unfortunatly the weather has taken a turn for the worse and I have not been able to thoroughly test the results of these mods. I was able to go for a short ride and did notice more back firing on deceleration that before the changes. I have a chance to pick up a used Dynatek and would appreciate the groups input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently put one on my 01 Spirit and my SIL put one on his Shadow (both 750's). Woke both up considerably. I don't believe that they actually make one for the 03 but I could be wrong. Check the pins in the stock ignition unit to see if they are molded round (old style) or molded rounded rectangle. Mine was the newer style and needed the older plug to make the dynatek unit plug up to the harness. Wire colors are the same so I just piggybacked the plug I got from an Ebay harness onto the bikes harness and plugged the Dynatek in. I'd have to say, without any reservations, that the small effort was well rewarded.

There's another message down further that I explained things a bit better.

Mo

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
No - dollar-wise it does very little - compared to the pipes and jet kit which really woke up the bike.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
cbjr0256 said:
No - dollar-wise it does very little - compared to the pipes and jet kit which really woke up the bike.
Hey Chuck,
You have one that you bought new right?
Do I remember right that you had a problem with it, that the company took of?? (Warranty)
Looking back on that, were you glad you bought "New" instead of used???
Would you recommend buying one "Used"????

Also, is my memory right, that there is another member that has the dynotech that had problems with it (warranty) and they actually carry they're old OEM unit with them for a spare?????
MarkC

·
Super Moderator
6,504 Posts
MarkC said:
Also, is my memory right, that there is another member that has the dynotech that had problems with it (warranty) and they actually carry they're old OEM unit with them for a spare?????
MarkC
Mark,
I do carry my stock ignition module in my saddle bag because I had heard of some people having failures with thier Dyna-3000's and leaving them stranded. But, my Dyna module is about 3-yrs old and hasn't failed me yet! (fingers crossed/knocking on wood)

As for is it "Worth It?" I think on a stock engine, the Dyna is probably a waste and on an engine with the basic mods like pipes, jetting and intake it's overkill but since there's no good options in between....for me it still seemed like a good choice. Raising the rev limiter a few hundred rpm's and advancing the spark a little sooner than stock seems to give the little 750 a much needed kick in the ass!
Phil

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
MarkC said:
cbjr0256 said:
Hey Chuck,
You have one that you bought new right?
Do I remember right that you had a problem with it, that the company took of?? (Warranty)
Looking back on that, were you glad you bought "New" instead of used???
Would you recommend buying one "Used"????

MarkC
Mark,

Yes I bought mine new and it died around 500 miles (couple months since it was late fall last year. I sent it back and they promptly sent me a replacement. 1 yr warranty is all you get I believe.
The new one has been fine, but like Phil I carry the stock module with me always.....ok not when I go to the bathroom.....but it stays in the saddle bags..... :lol:

Norm(storminnorm) had one go bad too. I think when you get a good one it will be fine.....probably die in the first 1000 miles of use if it's going to die at all.

I still have the Dyna coils and wires to install, just haven't gotten around to it yet....and I am thinking I am going to sell the bike by years end anyway, so I might strip all the performance parts off and put it back to stock. (sell the parts separately-you know the drill). :wink:

Like I said, it probably isn't worth the cost, but it doesn't make it run any worse....actually I think it starts a little quicker with 3000, and it pulls hard and steady all the way to the limiter. I keep mine at stock rev limit though, and only take it to the limiter........well never....... unless it's intentional to see how it's running.....

Chuck

·
Registered
628 Posts
...it probably isn't worth the cost, but it doesn't make it run any worse....actually I think it starts a little quicker with 3000, and it pulls hard and steady all the way to the limiter. I keep mine at stock rev limit though, and only take it to the limiter........well never....... unless it's intentional to see how it's running.....
I agree 100%. If I had it to do over, I would just do the 4 degree timing mod. It accomplishes almost the same thing and doesn't cost $275 (retail).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought one from Cruiser Customizing based on all of the great reviews of the Dyna 3000 on that site. Installed it last Friday and tested it out on a couple of rides this weekend. I was impressed with the difference it made. As someone else noted, it results in better pull throughout the grears...and the deceleration popping that is typical for the stock ACE 750 is gone. It made the bike more fun to ride...not sure if its enough to convince me to not upgrade to a bigger bike like a VTX, Sabre, or even a BMW, but I guess I would recommend it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts