Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have recently joined your forum having purchased my first Shadow. (See image).

I live in Thailand and this bike is the Asian 400cc variant, virtually identical to the bigger 750cc.

I am having problems getting a user manual and workshop manual as I cant accurately identify it's model number. Being an Asian model it doesnt have the common 17 digit VIN number but an 11 digit chassis number.

Is this bike a VT400?

I can find guides on the 750 but not on the 400.

Do any of you know where I could find the manuals for such a machine?

Regards
EnEs63

Attachments

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Honda VT400

If you can't get a manual from any Honda dealer in Thailand you may be able to find one from Australia, perhaps on Ebay. Plenty of Honda dealerships in Thailand, though, and if I lived there I'd just let a dealership do all maintenance and tune-ups.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi MikeB,

Ok, so a VT400 it is. Thank You.
I will do a bit more searching now I have a confirmed model number.

Honda dealers here in Thailand..!!!. Have you ever been to one?

I wouldnt trust any of them with my bicycle!!!

Since buying this Shadow I have visited several Honda 'dealers' including Honda Big Bike - the agent for Goldwing.
I wanted antifreeze.
For the Shadow, Honda recommends 50/50 E Glycol.

The monkeys at Honda Big Bike had no idea what all their pre-mixed coolant ratio's were, nor have they ever heard of E Glycol. They simply didnt know what antifreeze was made from...
One guy told me all they have ever used in his workshop was tap water... Because it was free!

Need I say more! Lol

Anyway, Thank you MikeB for your help on this. Hooefully I will find the manuals I need.

Regards
EnEs63

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I'm very surprised to hear that dealerships there are so clueless...after all, there are about a million motorcycles and scooters on the road in BKK alone (though on a recent visit to Hanoi I saw what scooter congestion REALLY looks like!:mrgreen:).

Maybe an independent shop would be better. I've never owned a motorcycle in Thailand, but when I had a car I got service at an independent shop and the guy did a good job.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, many scooters!

The attitude in Thailand is to run a vehicle until it goes wrong - then get it fixed.
They never service or maintain...
Everything has to be cheap so using tap water in the radiator is a no brainer for the Thai's... "Why pay money when I can use tap water!?" Lol

Yes, an independant guy is probably best.

The dealer I bought my Shadow from was just that, and from talking around - the best in the area!
It was only when he 'serviced' the bike upon my purchase did I notice him using tap water in the rad, two different brands of spark plug in the cylinders and engine oil that was filled way over the top!
His tyre pressures were 45 rear, 36 front... Honda suggests 29/29!!!

... And he is one of the best???

Think I will be doing as much maintanace as I can, myself! Lol

Thanks again Mike B ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Even in Thailand anti-freeze is important. It will increase the boiling point of the water it is mixed with so that it doesn't boil when you ride in the heat. It must get hot there so those mechanics were meat heads. You'll find a good one if you keep looking. However, with a genuine Honda service manual and Youtube you'll be able to do most everything yourself. Your bike probably comes with a tool kit that has most of the tools you'll need. Best regards!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

Yes, it's hot here! One of the reasons I chose the Shadow over the Drag Star as it is liquid cooled.

Will enjoy stripping, cleaning and maintaining... And riding of course! But first I'm searching for the manuals...

Will post some more images once I have made progress ?

All the best...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Closing In On The Right Model...!

Hello again,

It's been a few weeks now since purchasing my first Shadow.
With the extensive research so far, I can confirm now that it is a Shadow VT400C Ace - somewhere around 2002-2003.

I have managed to download the service manual for the 2003 VT750 Ace, (as I am lead to believe it is pretty much identical to the VT400?), and from the pictures I see in that manual, my bike seems identical. So far, so good.

(Still no luck with the correct user manual though!).

So, my question is;
In that service manual it splits the VT models down into 5 groups...
These are VT750 CD, CD2 C3, CD3 or deluxe.

Does anyone have any idea about the differences between these models?

Thanks
EnEs63

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,017 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Ramie,

Asian bikes didnt have VIN numbers then.
It is only fairly recently that the Asian market has followed the VIN system that we are familiar with.
My bike has an 11 digit frame number which I have not been able to decode online like you can with the normal/more modern 17 digit VIN's...

I have even tried Honda direct here in Thailand but they dont even repsond to questions!
Useless!

Thanks for trying though :)
EnEs63

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.