Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP.....Ebay spike air intake install

Hey everyone!!!! Changing my bike around again and installing a new air filter. One problem......no instructions. I know that this will most likely effect the original engineering from the oem housing. I heard its a true pain and can cause issues. More for looks then power. Just can't stand the UFO riding shotgun on my sled. Lol. I have to get the bike rejetted over the winter due to the exhaust mod anyways. I will be replacing the spike portion of the intake with a k&n cone filter. Not really into the whole spike theme. This is one of those cheap ebay china crap deals. Photo should be attached if I did this right. Just wondering if anyone already went down my path. Pictures would be great if possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the video. I saw that one the other day. Bike completely differs from the ACE unfortunately. When I remove my air box I'm left with a oval shaped plastic housing. Carb is only exposed on opposite side of bike (video carb is exposed). I believe the kits somehow attaches to the oval opening but I just can't see it being strong.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is a bit late lol. But i have the same kit and what i did was peel the oval housing away from that triangular piece and get that Form a Gasket rtv stuff. However in hindsight a clear plummers silicon epoxy would have been better. Any ways, so you make your own gasket on each piece and that way you get a good seal. Then i got a long screw with washer and lock nut and partially secured it to the hole under the intake thats for the origional box to rest on.

Now after all this i got it on and found it boggs down as soon as you hit the upper RPM on any gear. Now i have stage 5 jets and at some point in the past the previous owner put a beefier exhaust. Not sure what type.

So i ended up going back to the OEM box because it seems it creates a certain level of suction that the system needs. I tried making a metal restrictor but i cant seem to get it right. I may have to readjust my carbs but at this point its become a hastle. So if anyone has made this spike cone work, it would be nice to hear what all they have as far as jets and how many turns on the carbs air/fuel they did. Or if they had to adjust to dump more fuel or less depending on jet sizeing. I might try mine again tonight and see if its a matter of the carbs air/fuel but i just get tired of not riding. Lol.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,916 Posts
The "Stage" thing really means nothing outside of one suppliers personal definition.
"Our jet kits go to 11!"

What matters are the jet sizes and the jet needle.

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
I installed the spike air cleaner with Cobra pipes, and had trouble getting it to run right. I had gotten the either Stage 2 or 3 kit from CarbJetKits.com, and another member here helped me get it installed, and it ran ok, but just not perfect. It seemed to me as if the spike was letting in TOO MUCH air, and when it rained, and water got in that thing, it hardly ran at all, and sputtered and seemed to run on only one cylinder. It was terrible. I tried making a rain sock to go over it from a melted Frogg Toggs suit, but it blocked too much air, and it wouldn't run right, either. Took it to a shop, and he SUPPOSEDLY "tuned" it, but it seemed like he did it for WOT only! I called him as soon as I got home, and told him that it wasn't right, and he wanted to charge me AGAIN to tune it?! Forget that!! I'm not paying MORE money for something he should have gotten right in the first place, and if you won't stand by your work, then you're not getting any more of MY money! Well, the bike started having other issues, and wife told me I could get something else to replace it. Got a fantastic deal on a HD Dyna (Yeah, I know, NOT a Honda), and decided to "give" my Shadow to a friend who has liver cancer and hasn't been able to get his old GW running in years. He took it to another shop, and they got it tuned right. Not sure what jets they used, but he started having balance issues, so installed a trike-like kit, similar to a Voyager kit, with an extra pair of wheels on either side of the drive wheel in back. It just bolts up under the frame under the engine, and has extra rails on either side for a bigger step, and independent suspension on the extra rear wheels. He tells me that it runs good now, but I don't know if the shop he took it to adjusted or changed the jets in the carbs. I will say that Pastor Dave, the member who helped me, and I had a tough time getting the dual synced carbs out and back in. If I were you, I wouldn't do this spike install. Too much trouble, and not enough gain out of it. Like you, though, I like the look of the tapered K&N cone, and it would give more room for my knees, but I don't believe the benefits outweigh the PITA in time and money that it would take to get it right. Mind you, that's just my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts