Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
I did my clutch a couple months ago, I saw those on ebay, but opted to get a set of plates from barnett, and a new OEM spring

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now this makes me nervous, cause my brother is due a birthday present and stuff like clutch material is kinda a personal choice thing. If I buy him something like this I would like to think he might use it.
Are the Barnett discs better? The oem discs are not that much more in price, maybe I should go with those?? He said he was just going to replace the friction discs unless when he got into it the plates were messed up then he would replace those as well.
This is tough, he has just about everything he needs/wants for his bike except for the sprocket upgrade but he already put a new chain on so he said he would wait until it needed one.
Maybe getting something for his bike is not the best thing, My brother is hard to buy for.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

·
Registered
11,384 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is your brother sure he needs a new clutch? Seems like 05 shouldn't need clutch discs. How many miles on the bike and what oil does he use?
Well I drove it once and it does seem thin, there is plenty of free play at the clutch handle and it releases very quickly and engages way out to the end, there is not much action there, you can just let go of the clutch and it is either engaged or not, not much in between. This was his wifes bike and she put some miles on it I think in the 20k+ range with 2up alot and she was not easy on the clutch is what my brother says. She bought a 2010 Honda Fury 1300 and she does the clutch on that one the same I have seen it myself her using the clutch for a brake and such.
I am just wondering if anyone knows anything good or bad about the EBC clutches?
I am thinking that buying someone else things like this might not be good cause everyone is going to have a preference. I would get some accessory or something but he already has them. Every year I run into this problem.

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
It sounds like he needs a clutch cable adjusment not a replacement. Or maybe a just clutch springs replaced. Clutch disks would not cause the symptoms he is having. You chould only have about 1/8" of freeplay at the clutch handle.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
EBC is an OK stock alternative.
Personally I would not put anything LESS than a Barnett set in my bike. But then I refuse to buy bike parts based on price. I want the best parts available, for a clutch that means Barnett. There is a reason you will find very few Racing bikes running anything other than Barnett.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
EBC is an OK stock alternative.
Personally I would not put anything LESS than a Barnett set in my bike. But then I refuse to buy bike parts based on price. I want the best parts available, for a clutch that means Barnett. There is a reason you will find very few Racing bikes running anything other than Barnett.
This is what I am looking for, thanks. I assumed the barnett must have been better but I do not know this unless someone tells me. So I will look into these barnett clutches.
Thanks for the links Big B
My Brother has adjusted the cable and such so it had some freeplay in it cause from how I see it when the clutch linings start to get thinner it will take up the freeplay so then you need to adjust so the cable is not at all pulling on the clutch lever. And as the linings get thinner the amount of friction action will decrease to the point where it will feel like nothing is happening and then all of sudden there it is and it is already engaged. My truck felt like this even though it was hydraulic and when torn down there was very little to measure above the rivets. For the most part he told me it was worn so that is what I was going on. He is not a bike mechanic but a Toyota Master tech for 8+ years now so I will trust him. This is why I was asking about the aftermarket clutch discs cause someone like him would be picky about what went in his bike. I know he was when he replaced the clutch in my truck, he was very adamant about not using aftermarket stuff. So there I go, here's your sign. I am better off not buying him something like that. I will let him figure what he wants for this job.
I am not saying it is or is/not the clutch only that is what he told me. The thing seemed very weak but never slipped, I have more action on my 500 than he does
Thanks all for your feedback

·
Registered
11,384 Posts
"My Brother has adjusted the cable and such so it had some freeplay in it cause from how I see it when the clutch linings start to get thinner it will take up the freeplay so then you need to adjust so the cable is not at all pulling on the clutch lever. And as the linings get thinner the amount of friction action will decrease to the point where it will feel like nothing is happening and then all of sudden there it is and it is already engaged."

He has it backwards. As the clutch plates wear the freeplay will increase. If he dead set on replacing them, go with the Barnett, but I don't think it will solve his problem. Clutch disks on a wet clutch system should last a lot longer then 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm wondering what all is included in the Barnett kit if anyone knows for sure who has bought it.
I'm looking at the 303-35-10042 which is listed as "complete"
I sure hope $155 is reasonable.
My bike just hit 52k a couple weeks ago and I changed the oil at that point. I have noticed on occasion that if I accelerate hard enough in 5th gear above 3k RPM the engine will rev up way ahead without taking the tire with it... haha!
My 2nd chain is almost worn out too, it makes a horrible clicking noise when I'm just walking the bike around so I'm going to go back to original sprocket in the rear and toss the 39 tooth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts