Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out riding the other day and stopped in at a convenience store for a bottle of water. While I was standing around outside drinking the water I noticed a small stack of black plastic trays. They were CocaCola "flats" that hold 24 bottles/cans of coke. I thought that one of those plastic trays might make a good cargo tray to attach to the luggage rack for a "sometime use" application. So I asked the attendant how I could get one of those trays and he gave me one.

It expands the cargo carrying surface and provides sides as well. It had to be easy-on/easy-off since I will only use it when needed. I had a piece of 1/4" x 1" aluminum bar left over from another project and used that to make the mounting bracket. Only thing I had to buy was a couple of bolts and nuts. Two wing nuts w/star washers are the only removable fasteners used to attach it - the "T" bracket provides additional stability and the luggage rack's tie down studs lock it in place.

Here's how it turned out - pictures are self-explanatory. I tried a few items for fit: soft cooler, carry-on luggage, plastic storage bin, etc.

Like I said, it ain't pretty, but it is functional and cheap, cheap, cheap!

Keep the shiny side up and ride safe!

·
Super Moderator
6,531 Posts
Put some stud's and concho's on it and it'll match your Mustang Saddle and LeatherLyke's perfectly...........Well; maybe not perfectly but it'll give it that retro look it's lacking!
Phil

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wow! That's some cargo capacity!
Looks like I'm not the only one who came up with that kind of fastening system. Made a similar thing during BikeWeek for my bike for the same reason, I needed to carry stuff! Left mine on as I have found it comes in handy all the time.

[/img]

BTW, nice choice of bike! love them Valkyries! 8)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Personally, I think it does not belong on a bike. It looks like it works well but...ah, no. Just don't look right. Tell you what I did, I got me a Biker's Friend storage/backrest and have been thankful I did so every time I throw my leg over. Give it a look, I got the medium size one and I can fit 2 1 gallon jugs of milk and a little more in it. And that is just how much it can hold... It is also a backrest and it is wonderful! I feel so much more relaxed while riding because I don't have to "hang" on the bars while accelerating or when I'm on the highway.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/

I gotta update my sig pic...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Here is how it looks loaded with the Harley T-bag.

Just enough support and I can take it off with no tools then stick it in the saddlebag. Also the saddlebags still open with it on.
Side view empty tray.

My buddy says it is the "Valk of Tomorrow" spoiler look empty. :lol:
I thought that was funny. I do need to shine it up real good.
Form should follow function...sorta... :roll: 8)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Wow, Destinrider! Your kids must be so proud of you :lol: My dad is always comin' up w/ some ******* way of solving issues - never looks quite right, but you gotta hand it to him - he solves a problem without breaking the bank (or even going to the bank, for that matter!) ... AND he always has the added bonuses of a.) Uniqueness/one of a kind and b.) no one's gonna rip it off :lol:

For me? I guess I'd rather save up and get the pretty stuff. I just wish Dad would quit trying to solve my issues with his parsimonious ******* ways! :lol: :lol:

Nice job, though!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I don't like the way it looks either. I will only use it when I temporarily need the extra cargo capacity. It makes it possible to do "utility runs" on my bike rather than taking my pickup. The chrome luggage rack is permanently mounted - the plastic tray goes on or off in about 2 minutes.

If I wanted something permanent, I would install a nice trunk. Even considered getting the Leatherlyke trunk to match the bags and I may do it someday, but for now the standard luggage rack is all I need 98% of the time.

Keep the shiny side up and ride safe!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ugly AND cheap... It's perfect!!

Ugly AND cheap... It's perfect!! Up until now I've been using a back-pack for short trips to the store or to haul my racquetball equipment on game day. This will be a perfect replacement. The easy-on easy-off feature is exactly what I am looking for. Now, off to the grocery store for a tray.....

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Great idea! A flat like that is designed to take a fairly heavy load so it's just about ideal for what you are using it for. It also has lots of places to hook bungi cords to hold stuff in. I'd say you get the MacGuyver award for this week!

Happy Trails!

sanoke

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
So it aint pretty. It's functional and most important, it's behind you so you don't need to look at it anyway. Good idea.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I had a crate, but I ended up getting large saddlebags instead. they will each hold two gallon milk jugs!! And Still need more storage!!!!!!------metalguy :wink:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Watch the weight on that contraption.

No matter what kind of tray/platform you attach, you still need to keep the weight down to whatever the rack is rated for.

My Hondaline rack says 6 pounds.
Now, I'm sure that's conservative, and ten would be fine.

But much more weight than that bouncing up and down on the cantilevered mount is bound to loosen things up quickly.

That big Rubbermaid could hold thirty pounds of dog food, and that would be waaaaay too much for that rack.

Cool idea though, for holding a knapsack or a small bag of groceries.
:)
-K

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.