Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, got my 2007 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 C2 running great. I remember before cleaning the carburetors the electric fan would come on and off. Now that the bike is running great the fan has never kicked on, The water temp light has not come on... I know there is a thermal switch at the bottom of the radiator. I was curious if anybody knew at what temperature the electric fan should kick on...? I want to use my thermometer gun and point it at the radiator and check the temp... thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
The fan motor runs independently of the thermal switch. What you're looking for is the "Fan Motor Switch" which when grounded provides a path for the current through the Fan Motor.

At least that is how it works on my bike....

• Check the fuse.
  • With ignition key on, ground the fan motor to the frame to see if it even works.
  • If it does, check the Fan Motor Switch for proper operation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fan motor runs independently of the thermal switch. What you're looking for is the "Fan Motor Switch" which when grounded provides a path for the current through the Fan Motor.

At least that is how it works on my bike....

• Check the fuse.
  • With ignition key on, ground the fan motor to the frame to see if it even works.
  • If it does, check the Fan Motor Switch for proper operation.
View attachment 287431
Thank you Chuck. And thank you for the diagram. I’ll go from there and keep you posted.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The fan switch is the one one the radiator. The switch for the temperature light will be on the thermostat housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The fan switch is the one one the radiator. The switch for the temperature light will be on the thermostat housing.

Where is the thermostat housing located...? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,410 Posts
Below the radiator cap.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Where is the thermostat housing located...? Thanks in advance
Keep in mind that the idiot light for the water temperature which is controlled by the switch below the radiator cap, and the fan motor have nothing to do with each other. It might be common sense to think they both work together, but in reality they are two completely isolated and different circuits and systems.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,410 Posts
Many times the thermal sensor for the fan has a temp marked in C.
That is at the bottom of the radiator where the coolant has cooled down from the upper hose temp out of the engine.
I remember when I monitored cars the fan ON temp was about 205 F.

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
Your bike may be running cooler now because of the carb cleaning. Your bike may have been running leaner before the cleaning which causes it to run hotter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Keep in mind that the idiot light for the water temperature which is controlled by the switch below the radiator cap, and the fan motor have nothing to do with each other. It might be common sense to think they both work together, but in reality they are two completely isolated and different circuits and systems.
That may help while diagnosing the problem. Thank you for the info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your bike may be running cooler now because of the carb cleaning. Your bike may have been running leaner before the cleaning which causes it to run hotter.
It was only running on one cylinder. Ethanol clogged everything up. Good thought. I still have not got a reply on approximately what temperature should the electric fan kick on. So I can check it with my temp gun. Thank you again.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,410 Posts
Here is from the 2007-09 Spirit manual should be very similar=

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I'm not confidant in using an Infrared temp meter to accurately measure the water temp inside the radiator at the Fan Switch. In my humble opinion, the outside temp of the radiator at that point would not correlate to the water temp at the switch itself.

I'm guessing the IR Meter would pick up a low temp, giving the owner a false sense of security in thinking his Fan Switch would be good, even if it was not.

I prefer to boil them in vegetable oil to check them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts