Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I am hoping someone with more knowledge of the electrical system of an 03 shadow ace vt750cda than I do might have any ideas. I was washing it up and doing a switch check afterwards. When I blew the horn, the horn blew fine then everything died. Noticed the ground terminal was loose, figured I found the problem and tightened it down. Voltage across the battery terminals reads 12.5 with ignition switch off, with ignition switch on they read zero volts. No power anywhere, no lights nothing. Checked master fuse and all fuses in the fuse box, all fuses fine. During the summer the neutral safety switch stopped working, everything was fine with kick stand up and clutch in, so had not replaced it yet. Did a continuity check across the battery leads with battery disconnected. Open with ignition switch off, shorted with ignition switch on. I was confused why there was no heat, sparks or smoke as based on my steps taken so far it appears the battery leads are shorted together with ignition switch on. If this is correct my master fuse should be blown but it is good. I'm scratching my head over here and hoping someone might have some suggestions or ideas.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This one absolutely has me scratching my head. You say that if you switch the keyswitch on, battery voltage drops to zero. Are you measuring from the battery's posts or the bike's battery terminals from the bike's harness?
I can see this happening if there is a poor connection between the bike's battery terminal and the actual battery post. If that's the case you need to do a little cleaning and tightening of those terminals. If that's not it, it's sounding like an open circuit inside the battery itself. Be careful with this one. An internal spark could ignite hydrogen inside the battery. I've had this happen a couple of times. Exciting for a second and it ruins clothing, acid in the face...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
First, your battery voltage is low. If you have a charger, charge it. It sounds like you may have gotten water in the ignition switch. Try drying it with compressed air. That's about the limit of my electrical diagnostics. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
Did a continuity check across the battery leads with battery disconnected

Did you remove the battery or just disconnect both battery terminals.
Lost me a little there.

With the key in the on position only, no switches pushed or turn signals or brake applied what is the battery voltage.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Hmmm...(?)

Always start diagnosing with a FULLY charged Battery, is my $.02 here...
Sounds like the battery, connectors or fuseholder, is at fault, to me...

LLLL Bring it over, we`ll get right on it ;)

Basically the same as my Bike = 98-03 ...

·
Registered
740 Posts
If it's in your garage and you have a heater, might be worth placing it near the bike to dry off a little better and even use a hairdryer for the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The continuity was done with the leads removed from the battery, lead to lead, not connected to the battery, open, with ignition switch on, shorted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Voltage check was done on the leads, attached to the battery. 12.5v with ignition switch off, zero volts with ignition switch on.

·
Registered
17,903 Posts
Battery is most likely at fault...

Guessing here = I believe you should read a valued resistance, rather than short with the switch ON...

Offer stands, bring it over, I can have the lift empty in 10 minutes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In going to try a different battery, just have never heard of zero volts DC from 12.5v with the key turned on. No click, no dim lights, just dead as if there was no battery hooked up at all. Has me rather boggled.

·
Registered
2007 VT750DC Spirit “chopper”
1,219 Posts
What ended up being the solution. New battery?
Last post was five years ago, started by a member who made 11 total posts, not sure we’ll get an answer.

Reactions: ShadowFlo
1 - 14 of 14 Posts