Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody hear of this scenario?
Bike: '01 750 ACE, 14000 miles
Added in early 2006: Cobra Light Bar (dealer installed)
Later in 2006: Starter Button conks out. $140 to replace (same dealer).
When I picked up the bike after the starter button is replaced, noticed that the cobra spotlights on the bar would not turn on. Pointed it out to the mechanic who pushed the bike back into the shop and opened up the wiring behind the headlight to troubleshoot and 'fix'.

HE SAYS: that because of 'something about the wiring that has changed affecting the starter button', he went ahead and rewired my light configuration to supposedly decrease the load on the starter switch.
He found a loose wire, reconnected it, and I was on my way.

Recently while doing a 'pre-flight', rather than sitting on the bike checking my lights, I stood in front of it while checking and found that when I turned on my left signal lights, the spots turned off. Turn off the signal light, and the spots come back on. Needless to say, the dealer has been notified that as soon as the weather is above freezing, the bike will be back in his shop, and I'm not paying for this repair, because I didn't ask them to mess with the lights to begin with!! :evil:

MY QUESTION: Anyone heard of rewiring lights because of a high load on starter buttons? :?:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have heard of putting too high a load on the ignition switch but not the starter button. I make it a practice to switch aux lights directly from the battery so they don't go thru the ignition switch, fuse it and relay or heavy duty switch.
Tim

·
Registered
339 Posts
The start button carries the current to power the headlight. It does this so the headlight is turned off when the button is depressed to start the bike. Basically routing all available current to the start motor.

The start button can only handle so much current, and it's almost too small for just the stock configuration. Adding more current to the circuit (ie: adding a lightbar to the headlamp circuit, or changing to a high current headlamp) will eventually ruin the start switch.

IMHO, the lights should have been controlled by a relay in the first place to handle the current of the headlight circuit. Gonzo has graciously made kits available that work good to cure this kind of problem.

LynnH,
If the dealer wired in your light bar to the headlamp circuit, they should have known better. I'm not going to say your dealer didn't know better, but there is that possibility.

There is a dealer here that I bought some bullet lights from and they recommended that I wire them into my headlight circuit. Good thing I found out about the start switch problem before I did. On their behalf, they don't sell Hondas there unless they are used. At a later date I told them about the honda start switches and the told me it happened in other bikes too. Funny how the dealer changed their story... I do most of my own service now.

Oh, it sounds like they used the left running light circuit to power your spots. Thats not proper by any stretch of the imagination. If that is the case, the current for the spots is being drawn through your turn signal switch. Specificaly the switch that was designed for controlling the left front running light. Maybe I'm wrong here, but from your description I dont see what else it could be.

Mark

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Thanks Mark!

Hey Lynn, check out my Headlight Harness that is an easy plug in application. I routes the headlight and lightbar through relays sraight from a fused connection to the battery and takes 98% of the current draw off of your start button. This is a bad design Honda uses. Some guys have burned out those switches without additional lights.

www.gonzos-garage.com/bike/harness.htm

For a tighter budget I still make just a lightbar harness but I really recommend the Headlight Harness for the added protection and easier install.

Gonz

·
Registered
286 Posts
hey... kind of a related question. I am considering replacing my PIAA bulb with a HID unit. Has anyone done this? What are the issues to be aware of? Is it a simple bulb/ ballast install, or is the entire bucket replaced? I know they are EXPENSIVE, has anyone found one cheaply?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
There really is no valid reason for the headlights to be turned off while starting the engine. Starting only takes a few seconds at best and having the headlights on during that time is a non issue. Don't know why Honda ever did this - not very smart.
Anyway, I disconnected the headlight wires from my starter switch and shorted them and tucked them away.
Starter Switch problem solved once and for all. Now the only current going through the starter switch is the starter relay current. (Should've been that way all along)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. Gonzo, I checked out your site, and will see what the mechanic has to say about what went wrong. I think the light bar had a definite impact on the premature demise of the starter button. Otherwise, the mech would have never pulled the headlamp to begin with.

I have printed out the wiring schematics from both the '01 service manual and the Cobra installation info. I will bring these to him when I bring the bike in, and expect an explanation. I do not plan to replace the starter button every year because of this. I really feel that the light bar not only looks nice on the bike, but gives good visibility (the main reason for buying them). However, the bar is a very tight squeeze with a Memphis Fats Shade, with almost zero clearance between the side spots and the windscreen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts