Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I ride my bike year round so it gets pretty cold at times. I just bought myself a nice new heated vest that works wonders. However down side is it seems to be killing my battery.

I have a 99 shadow 750 with nothing pulling power but stock components, lights and such.

This vest has an average draw of 3.9 amps and average 49 watts. Anyone have any suggestions as to why my battery is getting sucked dead from this? Or what i can do to fix this issue? I dont want to get rid of the vest cause it really helps on those cold mornings. I dont have a lot of technical knowledge so please dumb down any answers or sugestions please.

Thanks

DK

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Start with basic troubleshooting. Test your battery and see how much voltage it's putting out at idle and at higher RPM's.

·
Premium Member
8,872 Posts
A light bar pulls more amps than that, so you shouldn't have an issue powering that accessory..

I'm not too technical, but it doesn't seem as if that vest is overdrawing.. I would check battery and charging system. ;)

·
Registered
17,988 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I wouldnt check the charging system before you tell us that you ride at an appropriate RPM level. If youre not over 2500, you wont even charge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its about a 20 min ride to work in the morning. Half of that is doing over 60 mph on the highway. I dont have a tac on my bike but I would doubt I am under 2500 rpm. I just got a voltmeter so I will be seeing what that tells me

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Yeah, and 10 minute rides don`t do much either, do they???
Oh i dunno, the way i ride during that 10 minutes... :p

Its about a 20 min ride to work in the morning. Half of that is doing over 60 mph on the highway. I dont have a tac on my bike but I would doubt I am under 2500 rpm. I just got a voltmeter so I will be seeing what that tells me
Yea, you should be good with that. You can always have the battery load tested too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just checked everything. It appears that everything is charging well battery is good. I cleaned all the battery connections and checked and cleaned all the fuses. Hopefully it was a one off event. Otherwise I am going to have to cough up some cash and get someone who knows what they are doing look at it.

Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,905 Posts
Had to share this Goldwing with mega lights. Since we are on an electrical discussion.
Must have a 150 amp car alternator to keep up with all this load.
But the picture didn't work. You can see it on Honda Goldwing forum. =

http://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19090

Can you imagine the electrical nightmare working on that.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
There's a lot of ways to attach a multimeter to your bike to get a true voltage reading while you're riding er *net output*. I bungee-ed a multimeter to the handlebars fer example.

·
Registered
17,988 Posts
Got a couple of thoughts here..(%)

Have you considered the connector & "those three yellow wires"???

I think I`d at least take a looky see ;)

Can you shut off power to the vest easily?
Such as while you`re engine is at an idle and/or below charging speed...
Commuting at 60 but slowing for traffic close to work or home MAY be the culprit also...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts