Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I ride my bike year round so it gets pretty cold at times. I just bought myself a nice new heated vest that works wonders. However down side is it seems to be killing my battery.

I have a 99 shadow 750 with nothing pulling power but stock components, lights and such.

This vest has an average draw of 3.9 amps and average 49 watts. Anyone have any suggestions as to why my battery is getting sucked dead from this? Or what i can do to fix this issue? I dont want to get rid of the vest cause it really helps on those cold mornings. I dont have a lot of technical knowledge so please dumb down any answers or sugestions please.

Thanks

DK

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Hey

I ride my bike year round so it gets pretty cold at times. I just bought myself a nice new heated vest that works wonders. However down side is it seems to be killing my battery.

I have a 99 shadow 750 with nothing pulling power but stock components, lights and such.

This vest has an average draw of 3.9 amps and average 49 watts. Anyone have any suggestions as to why my battery is getting sucked dead from this? Or what i can do to fix this issue? I dont want to get rid of the vest cause it really helps on those cold mornings. I dont have a lot of technical knowledge so please dumb down any answers or sugestions please.

Thanks

DK
Questions back at you. How old is the battery, when was the last time you checked and added distilled water to the battery to bring it up to level and fully charged the battery with a real battery charger not a tender?

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
There is no difference in the way a tender charges a battery as compared to a battery charger. Do you put your car battery on a charger?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,488 Posts
If you only switch it on while the engine is running the charging system should handle 4 more amps. Unless you have other high draw lights or things. Is The charging voltage at east 13-14 volts with all accessories off?

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
I was told by a tech friend, the stock Honda Charging system is only enough to run the stock bike. If you add a light bar, or other currant drawing items it will not be enough. I had a bad Stator, and had it replaced by an upgraded one, recommended here on the forums.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.