Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally running down my charging issue and using the Electrosport testing page I have found both the Stator and RR are testing bad...I guess for 40K miles on a 1995 VT1100 it's gonna happen. The question is should I go with the Electrosport Stator & RR ? Looks like the 2 items shipped to me is going to be $260. I know I will need a few more items like gaskets and seals...Has anyone with a 1995 VT1100 done this swap ? Before I order anything looking for some feedback....My budget was really capped out at $250 but gotta pay for the brown truck to get it here....

Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just used some gasket maker on mine. I don't even think it has a gasket anyways. At least on my '03. I ordered both from Electrosport and was happy with em. It's not a difficult job to swap em out. Only issue I had was where the rectifier goes, the Electrosport one was a little bigger. The bolt slots were in the same position, but the finned part was bigger so I had to cut off this metal bracket to make it fit.
Other than that minor setback (5 minutes with a dremel), it was a pretty smooth and simple job to replace em.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal Acid, after doing some research and calling Honda dealer it looks like all I need is the case gasket, starter cover gasket & shifter seal ($30)...I am going to go ahead and order the stator and RR from Electrosport...Thanks for the feedback !

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have a few pictures from my install. But it's nothing that you can't find online. I think the hardest part was getting the stator's cover off. I shoved a pipe to the other side of the bike and tapped on it with a hammer. I couldn't pull it off, so I figured I'd try to push it out from the other way. Wasn't a lot of room, but I had a pipe small enough to fit thru a crack that was able to get to it.

Be sure to get some sealant anyways even tho you've got gaskets. I'm not sure how different yours is from my '03 Spirit but it's gotta be the same concept. The 3 Stator wires have to run thru this rubber grommet type thing and that's what stops the oil from leaking out from that point. I sealed that rubber piece and around it a bunch because I had read that people neglect it and get leaks from that point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Acid if you can post or send pics that would be great. If you want to send them to my direct email let me know I will PM you with that. I have done a few stators on ole inline 4's in the past....The trick to a good job is taking your time and double checking yourself....I meant to ask you if you kept the plugs on the new stator and RR or if you did the common "cut and solder 3 yellow wires" thing....

Peace

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I just did my stator a while back. Next week the new RR will be here, the Yamaha mosfet type.

Change the shift lever seal for sure, I didn't....guess what, now I need to. My bike (usually) has zero leaks (I like to keep to that way).....thought I'd "cheat" and see what I could get away with.

Cover is kinda P.I.A. to get off, because of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ shift seal, and magnet in/on "drum" stator runs inside of. Pry bars, gentle taps with dead blow hammer.....not in that order. It'll come off.

Re-install by soldering wires of course... throw away (plastic 3 wire) connector. PainterD knows alot about these...he may chime in with other info/tips.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the 411 95Shadow1099....As long as the removal of the case goes rather smooth I am good...I do have a small prybar with me so hoping that will get the trick down...I figured on what I had read about the plastic connector issue I would go ahead and toss them and do the solder....Go all the stuff to do that with and make it look neat...Thanks again for the info.....Oh and nice looking bike too !

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my parts (stator & RR) from Electrosport & gaskets, seals ect from the Honda dealer on Friday....So here I go with the remove/replace....Wish me luck !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts