Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its been a while since I have been back here with anything more than an occasional comment. Noticed a lot of old comments but not much new. "Or am I just missing it?"

So I thought i would make this post a sort of End of 2020 post for anything done, discovered or interesting in way of our Hondas in this last year. Please no politics. Just anything recent.

Ill start. Due to financial reasons I had to sell my 1975 Honda CB550F right after I got it fully restored and running good. So a sad October for me.

However, the money helped and I got some cheap universal fog lights and some extra LED brake lights. I wanted redundancy in case my main headlight or tail light goes out while riding, i have at least something.

My fog lights are independent with a switch. The brake LEDs are constant on only (2wire) and wired to the brake main wires. Everything soldered and shrink wrapped. No lazy electrical tape and twisty jobs here. So everything is tucked in and reliable.

I got a nasty nail in my tire last fathers day on my way home and couldn't seal it. So a shameful tow home, a patch kit, some beer, new tube and I was back in business next weekend.

I also discovered on my last registration I did not receive a notice in the mail to renew. Come to find out someone back in July of 2020 went on the Texas DMV and filed my motorcycle as being in a sold status.

I'm damned sure I didn't sell it seeing as how I had the title in my name and the bike sitting in my garage.

Anyone have any idea how this could happen? I suspect foul play. The DMV wouldnt tell me who was the buyer. However to do this, they need my name, address, vin and license plate.

I had to write a letter explaining I didnt sell it and all this mess to clear things up. Was someone planning on stealing my motorcycle?

So thats been my 2020. Haven't caught Covid19 yet but i stay masked up and sanitized or just keep my helmet on :)

Anyone else have some interesting stories or add-one this year? 20201117_095522.jpg

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,938 Posts
Crazy Dave was killed in a car accident 6/6. Seems some of the older members have been checking in this month. Riding season is slowing down and/or life events.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh thats too bad. Do you know if he was on two wheels or four when this happened? Not that it matters but would like to know.

Due to San Antonio winters being warmer, Im usually riding year around but i know the colder and wetter places up North have a few months of the riding blues.

Its always a downer when someone loses their life and riding or driving past other bikers in an accident can really hit home.
Thanks h13man for letting me know.

I try to keep up with FortNine, Classic Octane, MC Garage and DDTFM videos when the weather keeps me home. DDTFM videos really bring you down to reality on just how risky two wheels can be and honestly, i have learned to be more chill but vigilant with my riding. Well hope to heas r from anyone with any interesting side projects or mods or much needed work they plan on doing maybe before the year is done but if not. At least lets all ride safe.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,943 Posts
Crazy Dave was in his car. I thought of all the great videos he had riding around the New England landscape with his wild hair blowing in the wind. He and his wife riding to many places and they shared the story.
I would have liked to know him.
But when I first heard of him dying in an accident, I wondered if he was on his bike, and died enjoying his life on 2 wheels to the very end. 😟

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Its not how he died but how he lived. Someone wiser than me said that i think but its never the less true. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
It does sound like somebody was playing malicious games with your registration, it would be pretty easy to accumulate enough info to do that.

My bike is now getting near winter lock down time, every year I say I'm going to work on it over the winter, I usually get something minor accomplished while freezing in the shed and don't go back.
Other than a couple of carb swaps that are a project still in process and back to normal now for winter, the only thing I've changed recently is the chain and sprockets, which made a big difference to my enjoyment, but the gearing choice was specific to my engine set up, so it is not something I can recommend.
I still have to give it the pre-winter check over and fueling, but I have not given up riding yet in the warm gaps, every day may be the last one 'til April.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah not much Winter here in San Antonio so long term storage isnt needed. I rexok mend not using any additives to your fuel. All though sea foam and other cleaners work good if you shake em up and un them through quickly, long term sitting causes stuff to settle in the tank. Since the tanks have a pressure release you can top it off with premium gas and any expansion will leave a small gasn puddle under you bike but thats it. This will prevent water moisture leading to rust. But all those fuel additives seem to leave more behind than they take away. Then if its been over two months, drain the fuel and put in fresh. Also, i drain my carbs since they typically dont rust like the inside of a gas tank. Just my thoughts though. Seafoam or chem is good for running through quick and burning off carb buildup.

I spent a lot of time on carbs and usually its a poor air filter or crud in the tank that causes problems.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,141 Posts
Most I go is 3 or 4 months, we have no alcohol in premium here and that's what my bike runs on anyway, so it gets full tank of that with a shot of Stabil, then run for a few minutes, maintenance charger plugged in and the tires pumped up to sidewall maximum. I usually stick the jack under it and the cover over it and then it sits. You never know about the weather here and when Winter actually starts, one Dec 24 I was out on the bike doing Christmas shopping, last year October was the end, but mostly from any day now until the middle of March the roads are covered in either ice, snow, slush or salt or any combination of them, none of which are good for the bike. The bike has always fired right up in the Spring.

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
8,938 Posts
Put mine up for the winter's nap last night. Beautiful day yesterday @ 70 degrees but got cloudy pretty quickly @ 4:30 so I headed home 20 mi. away. Stop and fueled up with 90 octane with my fuel treatment and headed to the stable 2 1/4 mi. away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts