Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the coolant in my expansion tank is low and I wanna fill it up before any air starts getting into the system. I have a 2003 Honda Shadow and the service manual says use a coolant without silicate corrosion inhibitors because it may cause premature wear to the water pump seals and passages etc. I looked at some products and the obvious choice seems to be Prestone. What I want to ask is if it is absolutly important that I get coolant without these inhibitors or not? Prestone products say the inhibitors are non-abrasive. Im somewhat apprehensive. Anyone know if it's alright to use it with or inhibitors?

·
Registered
525 Posts
In my area Prestone comes in two flavors: the Yellow bottle containing green fluid (Extended Life full compatible) and the silver bottle Dex-Cool. Both label claims are clipped below and they both say they are okay with aluminum. So either choice is fine by me. I never buy pre-diluted stuff since you can just do the math, there is a huge markup for the added water. This being said, be sure to use distilled water, NOT tap or bottled water, as those minerals are more harmful to your bike than anything else. Pure distilled water is at any grocery store.

In direct reply to your query, neither of the Prestone products below contain any silicate corrosion inhibitors as contraindicated by Honda.

Prestone® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/ coolant – regardless of color – for use in ALL makes and models of cars and light duty trucks. This patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes and rust corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum.

Prestone® Dex-Cool® Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant is recommended and formulated for use in all vehicles that require DEX-COOL® coolant, as well as all other cars and light duty trucks with aluminum radiators using extended life coolant. This patented formula has a concentrated blend of premium long-lasting inhibitors for extended performance, protecting against temperature extremes and the ravages of rust and corrosion for 5 years or 150,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I just purchased the pre-mixed coolant that the local bike shop recommended when I changed mine out. That way I didn't have to think/worry about it! ;)

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The honda premix is a very good coolant and no risk with getting a non-100% silicate free or incompatible coolant.

First step in replacing a water pump is "Remove engine"......but use whatever coolant you feel comfortable using.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've used the Prestone Extended Life with no problems. It is silicate free and compatible with all aluminum engines.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts