Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
buddy of mine strongly suggested i pop for the $150 or so and install engine guards on my 05 aero. reason being is that if/when i drop the bike, the guards will really minimize any damage to the bike. i thought the purpose of the guards was to let the rider "put his feet up" on longer rides, never thought about the damage control factor. i personally don't like the looks of them, but hey if they "work" well, i will install them. anyone with thoughts on this, i would like to hear from you. thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
quards

Suggestion: pop the $150.

I am a newbie and I did not drop my bike since I began to ride. Last Thursday I dropped her twice in ten minutes.

No damage. No marks. And I grabbed the bar and walked her back up in no time.

Fork up the money.

Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Absolutely worth the investment. You might not like the look of them now, but you'll love how they look after you tip it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
About a month ago my friends and my bike were parked across the street from our apartments and a guy in this huge suburban ran into his bike drove his into mine then the guy drove around the corner and up the hill for about another half a block with my buddies VTX1800 under the front of his cage. When we got to his bike we expected it to be totaled, but his engine guards minumized the damage to some scraping under the tail pipe a few scratches on the back fender, the back tail light broke off, and the left front mirror broke off. The repairs were in the hundreds instead of the thousands his engine guards were both bent around to the front tire but man did they do the job they are designed to do! Buy some your friend is right on, on this one. Ride Safe :lol:

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I don't like them. You'll never see me with them on my bike, no sir not me. :wink:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Absolutely! Even if you just forget to put the sidestand down...

Have you tried lifting your bike by yourself yet? The engine guards will at least give you a few more inches of leverage to get the bike up.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Know nothing about the Aero.
Have MC Enterprises on our 750 Spirits.
They do not work on the Spirit for Hiway pegs.
Sure work well for the slow-motion laydowns.
Ask wife.
What about the dragging of the bike for half a block?
That person should be shot!
At least beat the **** out of them!
Oh, well.
Happy trails all!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Put them on. Unless you're superman, it's really hard to lift the bike from a layed out position by yourself. I dropped mine in the driveway a couple weeks ago, while lubing the chain. I caught the bike as it went down onto the engine guard, lifted the bike bike up and pulled the kickstand out with my foot. Not a scratch on the bike. And I'm definitely not superwoman!

Now I get my husband to push it down the driveway while I spray the lube.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Personally I like the looks of the Engine Guards, they will protect the bike if it goes down and it's also a great place to add some highway pegs to allow you to stretch out, also works well with Engine Guard Chaps for riding in wet and cold weather, but it's strictly a choice of the rider and his ride 8)

·
Registered
230 Posts
I got engine guards to mount footpegs after a 500 mile ride led to excruciating charlie horses. Ever wake up in the night with your calves locking up in total agonizing pain?

I haven't dropped my bike yet, but I love my footpegs.

Cheers,
Satyr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.