Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed today my brother took his bike out and rode for a few hours. It sat a few hours and was cool to the touch.

I rode mine for 45 minutes. It sat for 2 hours and most the engine is still pretty **** hot. I can't keep my hand on any part of it for more than a second.

His is an 09 spirit and mines an 03 ace. Is it all the chrome on mine that just doesn't cool down as fast? I didn't think anything of this until I felt his motor today after I felt mine. His doesn't have all the chrome on the engine mine has.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Are we talking equal ambient temps and wait time? Are his covers metal or plastic or panted or chromed and yours?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are we talking equal ambient temps and wait time? Are his covers metal or plastic or panted or chromed and yours?
Shorter ride time on mine (45 mins) and 2 hours for him. His engine stuff seems plastic so that's why I asked if it was the chrome that took longer to cool. There's a lot of chrome on mine. Heads, side covers, etc. I figured this is no big deal and mostly as an informational post to satisfy my curiosity.

I'm only about 3 months into my first street bike :) I never worried about stuff like this on my dirt bikes back in the day.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That just doesn't seem right to me. Both my son and I owned 2005 Spirit 750's and I never noticed any heat like you are talking about.

My 2000 ACE Tourer ran hotter, but was never hot to the touch that long after I was done riding.

I now ride an air cooled 96 cu in Harley, which is known for running hot, and even it doesn't stay hot like this after shutting down.

I would check your cooling system and oil level. Perhaps you should have someone with some mechanical experience take a look at it.

My $0.02 anyway.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Remember that an air-cooled Harley is made to be cooled by air. That means that it cools just sitting there in the open air.

A Shadow is liquid cooled, and that liquid is pumped round by the running engine. If the engine isn't running, the coolant isn't flowing, and the radiator isn't dumping heat. The engine will stay hot a lot longer.

Also, plastic doesn't conduct heat well. The engine with more plastic on it will be just as hot INSIDE as your bike, but the heat can't get to the outside through the plastic, so it doesn't feel as hot. All the metal on your bike means that the inside and outside temperatures are pretty close, so you feel a lot more heat.

--Justin

·
Registered
253 Posts
Oil Level Question

I don't have an owners manual yet--I just checked the oil level in this bike and it is about 3/4" above the 1/2" hash/marked area---So about how much is that over filled---I just dropped in the stick, (didn't screw it in)---I was sitting on the bike holding it up straight---Thanks

I'm sorry---Meant to post a new thread and figure how to delete this out of your thread.

Kenny

·
Registered
88 Posts
Living and riding here in the valley of the sun, my engine doesn't cool down until nov-dec time frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.