Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clymer advises removal of starter motor, alternator, clutch, and (of course) both engine cases before the engine is removed. Considering the engine slides out the left side (after sub-frame is removed), I don't see why these parts need to come off, except for weight reduction.

I have a motorcycle jack that I will position under the engine before I disconnect it from the frame. Weight is not a huge problem.

Any advice?

The only thing I don't see an answer for, is the wire from the pulse generators: do not see any connector at the engine or the steering head. Does this wire have a disconnect, or does the left side engine case have to be removed and stay with the frame?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Removing everything is mainly for weight. I'd suggest a ratchet strap or two around the engine and jack as a safety. Still heavy, and not sure where the center of gravity will be in relation to where the jack rails are once it comes free from the frame.

As far as the pulse generator cable, my 87 VT700 goes up under the right side cover (by the battery) to a mating connector. Wouldn't go to the steering head, it goes, eventually, to the spark unit (black box), usually under seats or side covers. Just trace the cable to see where it goes, or look in the Clymers manual. Look under testing/replacing the pulse generator, it'll either tell you, or have a picture that'll show where it is. Ya gotta sometimes jump around in the manuals when doing major repairs. (see pg xx for this, see pg yy for that)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I found a connector for the pulse generator wire near the steering head. Clutch cable is loose from the handlebar and I think everything is disconnected that needs to be for the engine to be pulled.

It appears that the engine merely pulls away from the drive shaft, without any bolted connection (other than the frame mounts on the engine). Is that right?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sbrogden : i have an 83 750 Shadow , I removed the engine last winter also . the Clymer book addvized me to remove everything you spoke of as well ...
But I ended up only needing to remove the alternator from the side of the engine . It was nessessary because
it makes the engine more narrow , so that it will slide out sideways once sub frame bar is removed ...
if you dont , the engine will be too wide and there was very little room to play with while wiggling it out ... I also needed to remove the carbs ,
as they would have caught in the top part of the frame ...

The alternator's rotor was the hardest part of the entire bike fo r me to remove .. i had to borrow an air compressor and one of those big air guns to get the rotor to break from the engine spindle ... you need a
metric bolt to get the rotor off the spindle , the fastener store had to specail order me one from America ...
Hey , carefull dont drop the engine !!!
( i built up an engine cradle underneath mine , so when i removed
the mounting bolts , the motor just sat there in the cradle ) ..
anyway good luck !!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Candice

Many thanks for your reply! I've removed the left engine case and alternator stator, but don't know why this (or the rotor) needs to come off if the engine slides out the right side of the frame.

I have a motorcycle jack that will be under the engine, similar to the cradle you described.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi , umm..... on my 750 the engine slided out towards the right . and the alternator is on the left side of the engine ...
removing it made the left side more narrow , which I could see
was nessessary when i attempted to get the engine out ... if i left the alt. and rotor on the left side , it would have caught on the frame ...

Looking back , perhaps if i had removed the rear
hub and drive shaft i may have been able to have left the alt. installed ... I needed to pull the engine forward to disconnect it from
the drive shaft , pulling it forward and then to the right , gave for very little play , even with alt. removed ... i dont know for sure if your 500 is same i've no other experence excpet for my own ... ( my frame was damaged , i dismantled the whole bike to replace the frame ) ... again the clearance was very very tight ..
but your 500 may be differnt than mine ....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes sense. I figured that the engine needed to pivot a bit to the right to pull loose from the drive shaft. Then you pivot slide the engine out the right side, after removing the sub-frame. The rotor sticks out, interfering with this operation. Looks like I need to find a gear puller.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts