Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm planning on doing a motor swap on my '84 700 and wanted to know how much should I take off of the 750 bike, also and '84 and put on my 700. I plan on using the 750 carbs and rr. Other than that I don't know if I need to switch anything else. I don't want to fry any electronics, but I assume the CDI type boxes are the same. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just curious, what’s wrong with the old engine, or why are you swapping?

·
Registered
325 Posts
^ Canada continued to make the 750 for some time. The 700 was a US thing. ;-)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The old motor is knocking bad and first gear doesn't work. I want to tear it a part eventually, but I don't have the resources or the confidence to do a complete overhaul right now. Possibly a winter project when I can use my parents' garage. I'm not sure about the 750 details yet, I'm looking at that bike tomorrow, so I'll know more about that then, and report back.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The (US) 83 VT750c and the (US) 84 VT700c both use the same ignition electronics you should not fry anything when you swap engines, about the only difference is that some of the wiring are different colors.

The (US) 85 VT700c however had some electrical changes which only work for the 1985 year and are not backward or forward compatible with any other year.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so picked up the parts bike. Turns out the guy I bought it from didn't know anything. It's an 84 700c so compatibility is no longer a concern. One thing I noticed was it appeared to be leaking from the shift lever, and that the wires from the stator are in disarray, But it starts on the first try and runs strong. So I'm happy. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Ok, so picked up the parts bike. Turns out the guy I bought it from didn't know anything. It's an 84 700c so compatibility is no longer a concern. One thing I noticed was it appeared to be leaking from the shift lever, and that the wires from the stator are in disarray, But it starts on the first try and runs strong. So I'm happy. :mrgreen:
Glad the swap is now issue free.

My 84 VT700c was leaking from the shift lever also when I bought it, Honda had to order the seal for me (I ordered two so that I would have another when I need it sometime down the road), it was a rather easy fix... Remove the shift lever from the shaft, pry the old seal out with a very small screw driver, tap the new one in with a socket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
landon good to here about the seal, I redid the connections from the stator to the rr and the voltage reading is back where it should be. So I got lucky again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cooling Fan Problem

So got the motor in and everything works... Almost. The cooling fan is not turning on. Is there something easy that might have come disconnected? I looked over everything, but couldn't see anything wrong or disconnected. It was dark and the motor was hot so I'll give it a go in the morning. Any insight would be appreciated. Also it did work on the old motor.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
There are two connectors for it, one connects to the sensor at the bottom of the radiator, the other is on the right hand side of the frame right where the triple tree tube is welded to the frame behind it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts