Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody want to wager what he drove? Hint:starts with H and ends with onda. Yep, he even had a store for a while.

Dingo.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Anybody want to wager what he drove? Hint:starts with H and ends with onda. Yep, he even had a store for a while.

Dingo.

Guess i never thought about that but yeah it makes sense because i don't think Harley made a good stunt Bike back in the early 70's (or now) ... lol

Honda was pretty much the best choice, especially at that time.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He eventually moved to a Harley, but he made himself famous on a Honda.
Like guys on here, they start with a Honda and then move to a Harley. He also had a Triumph for a while (prototype for the grand canyon jump-it had these chintzy wings on it, and the "rocket cycle"). What a guy, 3-400 lbs cycle with almost no suspension and "safety gear" that would have been safer with nothing making these jumps with no planning. Boggles the mind.

Dingo.

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
From a documentary about his life, what about you?

Dingo.
I was 10yo when Evel Knievel jumped caesars palace (1967) , 16-17yo when Led Zeplin and Elton John were doing normal touring. I saw Ted Nugent play a concert in Wisconsin, close-up.

good times :lol:

EDIT: Correction it was 1967 and i was 10yo.....

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hah I'm a 1972 baby, but it was oct so I think I'm a early 73 model.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Show me the pics or none of this ever happend. :p

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Show me the pics or none of this ever happend. :p
In my best Robert De niro voice, "You talkin' to me"?:mrgreen:

If so, no pictures as BACK THEN I was too stoned to to operate a camera at those concerts even if I'd had one.:roll: Yeah, I grew up in the '70's....:wink: not ashamed to admit it.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's too bad the 'nuge is the most vocal pro gun advocate, he's wackadoodle. The bearing of a say...Charleton Heston seems more credible and inspiring. Now I'm not a believer in carrying all the time (although I waver-usually after watching the news), I believe I should be able to carry (sidearms) in the bush-if I was on the fence the 'nuge would not make me a believer.

Dingo.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The main bikes I remember seeing him jump were Triumph and Harley but the following is from: What brand bike did evel knievel ride

Evel jumped on several different makes and models of motorcycles during his career. His first public jump over a box of rattlesnakes and a mountain lion in 1965 was on a Honda.

In 1966 he used a Norton Atlas 750.

1967-69 Triumph Bonneville 650

1969-70 American Eagle (Laverda) 750

1970-77 Harley-Davidson XR750. The H-D XR750 is a factory built flat track racing bike, not a street bike.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
He eventually moved to a Harley, but he made himself famous on a Honda.
It's not accurate to say that he made himself famous on a Honda.
He used a 250cc Honda to jump over a box of rattlesnakes. Does anyone really believe that's what he is famous for?
Seriously?

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
what i am getting from this thread is that Evil Knievel may have used a Honda early on in his career, in the very beginning like jumping over boxes of snakes on a 250cc Honda.
He then proceeded to use Nortons and then Harley's for the vast majority of his career.

it may be safe to say the he started out on a Honda. But not that he preferred Honda's for his stunts.

that about cover it?

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
it may be safe to say the he started out on a Honda. But not that he preferred Honda's for his stunts.

that about cover it?
OR... Or.. "If you absolutely gotta avoid getting your ass bitten off by a P'O'ed Mountain Lion and boxasnakes! .. Better make it a Honda!" ;)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Evel jumped on several different makes and models of motorcycles during his career.
Yep. The last of which looked more like a rocket than a bike. Pulled the parachute way too early.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts